walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

between the gloom

between the gloom

Postby ancancha » Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:07 am

Route description: Tinto from the north

Fionas included on this walk: Tinto

Donalds included on this walk: Tinto

Date walked: 19/07/2014

Time taken: 3 hours

Distance: 8.28 km

Ascent: 491m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Tinto 20140719.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

As per usual sitting in the chair in front of the screen was giving me cabin fever. I'd taken a look at this walk during the week when I'd had another bought of cabin fever, but the fever passed and I had stuff to do anyway, however today the cabin fever was severe and so despite the weather forecast "thunder and lightning" I was off to walk up a hill.

Getting to the car park was pretty easy from Edinburgh and I soon had my boots on and was through the gate and on the way up the path.

Tinto gate.jpg

A pretty good path and although it had been raining heavily, absolutely dry to walk on.

Promising signs that the gloom was lifting and that the views would continue to improve :)
This one back down the path towards the car park.

Tinto path looking back.jpg

It was warm and muggy on the way up at this point and the jacket came off. I wondered if the forecast for thunder and lightning would be accurate. I love watching lightning, but not from the top of a hill!

Scotland's variety of rock formations and types constantly fascinates and interests me.

Tinto rocks.jpg

On up the very good path which joins up with what looks like a recently made road, and with the the mist clearing a view of Tinto.

Tinto first view.jpg

I've never really thought of the Clyde being a small river, but I guess all big rivers gotta start somewhere.

Tinto river Clyde.jpg

Follow the red rock road to the summit.
Spot the hare. It was hopping down the road towards me when it saw me and abruptly stopped and then moved onto the verge to observe me. I tried to get closer for a better photo, but it was wary and hoped off back up the road :lol:

Tinto summit with hare.jpg

An interesting pile of rocks at the top,

Tinto summit rocks.jpg

with a view finder.

Tinto view finder.jpg

The mist was gathering on the North side, but as I was here, might as well take a look at the south side which was still clear. Guess this was a dry stane dyke at one point. I wonder if the pile of rocks at the summit are man made as well.

Tinto the other side.jpg

More of Scotland's interesting terrain on the way down. Probably a bit tricky in the wet, but although quite steep it was stable and easily crossed.

Wallace's Seat center of this photo of the red rock scree, read on...

Tinto red scree.jpg

Nice view of Dungavel Hill.

Tinto Dungavel hill.jpg

Was in two minds as to go down or not and initially traversed across to a couple of parallel fences, but on looking at the gps map saw that the plateau below me was called Wallace's Seat and thought I'd better go down and check out the view.

Tinto Wallaces Seat.jpg

From here instead of going straight back up I decided to cross the heather field towards a path marked on the gps. Despite the overcast conditions the colours where striking, check out the greens in this photo of the Dimple Gulley.

Tinto Dimple Gulley.jpg

A few minutes later and the mist came down pretty thick but not before some more colour from these Fox Gloves. Sorry the photo isn't in focus, the breeze moving the subject to and fro.

Tinto Fox Gloves.jpg

More striking colours with a little wildlife. I've noticed this effect with greens before when it starts to get a bit damp and misty.

Tinto caterpiller.jpg

Carried on traversing across through the gloom,

Tinto the gloom.jpg

found the path and instead of going back up to the summit continued to traverse round until I intersected the main path.

Tinto path intersection.jpg

The gloom stayed until I reached the Roman remains. Easy to imagine a few depressed Roman soldiers missing the warm and sunny Mediterranean :lol:

Tinto Roman Remains.jpg

By this time the rain had started and was becoming ever more persistent. Got to the car soaking and didn't bother changing, just got in and hit the go button and headed home.
The rain was pretty torrential most of the way back until the outskirts of Edinburgh where it abated and left the thick gloomy fog.

All in all an interesting afternoon away from the chair and screen. Been a while since I've had a soaking, and I actually find them quite pleasant in the warm summer months.

If you live near by or are passing; Tinto does have some interesting terrain and views and it doesn't take long to get to the summit.
ancancha
Mountain Walker

Munros:84   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   Donalds:1

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland