walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Into the wild lands and onto Seana Bhraigh

Into the wild lands and onto Seana Bhraigh

Postby PeteR » Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:58 pm

Route description: Seana Bhràigh

Munros included on this walk: Seana Bhràigh

Date walked: 20/07/2014

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Munros have been hard to come by this year. I really should be in double figures for the year by now, but I’m not. I really feel as if I’m stumbling toward the finishing line..........and I still have Skye to go :shock: as well as some wild camping. I’m not making it easy for myself compleating, that’s for sure.

The latest landmark for me was to get to 250 :D

As per usual I’d been on weather watch all week, looking to see where the sun might be shining on the Sunday, or at worst the weather was expected to be less pishy :lol: As per even more usual , with different options being considered, it was to be a 3.30 a.m. call on the Sunday.

With the suggestion of “medium level cloud” and even a suggestion the big yellow ball might put in an appearance Seana Bhraigh got the 3.30 a.m. vote to be my 250th Munro :D

The route was to be the WH “standard” via Inverleal. This suggested 17.75 miles, although even sticking to the suggested route my GPS clocked up 18.8 miles. So, a short walk then :lol:

On arrival at Inverlael the first job of the day was to liberally coat myself in midge repellent..........the little blighters seemed to be out for their Sunday breakfast. Well, I was taking myself off the menu :lol:

Then it was a case of walking............and walking.........and walking.........and so on and so on :D

That might suggest this wasn’t a particular interesting walk. Nothing could be further from the truth :D

The initial walk in is familiar for all those who have paid a visit to the Deargs via Inverlael. An easy walk through to Glensguaib, where I then left the Deargs route and made for the zig-zag path up on to Druim na Saobhaidhe. From a distance this path looked pretty steep, but when foreshortened looked a lot less so. It might just be me, but I think the former view was the correct one :shock: Felt steep to my legs :lol:
P1090558.JPG
The foreshortened view of the zig-zag path

P1090566.JPG
View back toward Inverlael from the zig-zag path

Once passed the deer fence the route continues to climb, more gradually now, but up is up and my legs were hoping we got to more level ground sooner rather than later. There’s a nice section of peat hags that the path goes through. Not too bad for me on the day, but I suspect it would be Hell on earth if the ground were wet :shock:
P1090579.JPG
View ahead once over the Druim No Saobhaidhe

P1090593.JPG
Pano back toward Inverlael

Dropping down to the Allt Gleann a’Mhadaidh and I was entering wild, remote country. The path was excellent and as wild as it was it was also superb :D Bleak, empty – could freak some people out, especially if the clag descended :shock: I though, had a clear day and I was loving it :D
P1090596.JPG
Route ahead

It was an uneventful stroll over a shoulder of Eididh nan Clach Geala to the Lochan Sgeireach. Here the path appears to end, but at the point this happened a sharp right turn alongside the burn and then the small lochan and it was easily relocated. I also managed to locate the path through the moonscape rocks and on up passed Meal Glac an Ruighe :wink: Toward the end of this section the path seems to disappear again, but a series of small marker cairns mark the way. All good in clear weather, but I’m not sure how pleasant this would be in clag :shock:
P1090600.JPG

P1090609.JPG
More bleakness ahead

It’s usually about this time, when I’m right in the middle of nowhere, that I start to thinking that I’m a forty s...cough, splutter....year old man in middle aged heart attack territory wandering around on his own in the middle of nowhere, with nothing or no one around for miles in any direction should the worst happen :shock: :lol: Cherry thoughts :lol:

The trickiest part of the route was then the point at which to leave the path and drop down the gully toward the Gate of Ca’derg :? Reading other reports on this route would suggest I’ve not been the first to face these difficulties either.

I did overshoot slightly, but a quick left turn and I was back on track (if not actually on a track :lol:). There’s a stunningly wonderful section of bog, hag and muck on the way toward the gully that I found myself picking through. On the plus side, I witnessed a small group of deer to my left..........the closest no more than 50yards away 8)

They spied me, but showed no immediate fear.......just standing and staring back at me. A few photos and I was on my way to leave them to their munching :D
P1090617.JPG
Oh Deer!

P1090621.JPG
Oh Deer, Deer, Deer!

Then came the drop down the gully.

The WH route seemed to suggest dropping right down the gully, although I was temped to traverse to the left and follow a cliff top route around the Cadha Dearg. In the end I followed the WH route, but wished I hadn’t. From what I could tell it was pathless and boggy :( Didn’t enjoy it at all :(
P1090622.JPG
Toward the Gate of Ca'derg

Eventually I was heading toward the top of the Gate of Ca’derg. Such a remote, yet beautiful place. An easily confusing terrain if you don’t know what you’re doing, but even so it’s stunning :D 8)
P1090633.JPG
The view back from Ca'derg

P1090635.JPG
Cadha Dearg

P1090640.JPG
Pano back toward the Deargs, and Am Faochagach to the left

From here there was a good, if boggy path up toward the point 905 and the start of some cracking views across to Creag an Duine These just got better as I walked the cliff edge and then up on to the summit of Seana Bhraigh :D 8)
P1090647.JPG
Seana Bhraigh

Great views all round from the summit :D
P1090661.JPG
Creag an Duine and Loch Luchd Choire

P1090662.JPG

P1090663.JPG
Back to the Deargs

P1090667.JPG

P1090668.JPG
Loch Luchd Choire

P1090673.JPG
Strath Mulzie way

I spent a few minutes on the summit, enjoying a brief rest and taking in the views. By now the big yellow ball was starting to make an appearance too, although the hoped for views toward Assynt never happened for me.

Then it was a simple case of returning via the same route. I did opt for the cliff top route around the Cadha Dearg this time, which I found much more enjoyable than the suggested WH route! :wink:
P1090687.JPG

P1090690.JPG
Pano back to Seana Bhraigh

P1090693.JPG

Once up and over the gully it was plain sailing on the march back to the car.
P1090697.JPG
The walk back

Nice and warm by now as I took the chance to top up the tan, soaking up great views back toward Inverlael and the mighty An Teallach :D :D
P1090709.JPG
The money shot........looking back to Inverleal and the Mighty An Teallach

All in all, a great walk and a great way to mark 250 :D
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:122   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Re: Into the wild lands and onto Seana Bhraigh

Postby AnnieMacD » Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:17 pm

You certainly were in the wilderness! That's one long walk for one summit but sounds like you enjoyed it. Congratulations on the 250 - that's quite a tally. Love the deer shot - they probably aren't used to people so haven't go the fear that others have.
AnnieMacD
Mountaineer

Munros:25   Corbetts:15
Fionas:13   
Sub 2000:8   

Postby wilkiemurray » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:11 am

Nice report - enjoyed that :) made me chuckle the cherry thoughts bit - often think that myself ! Eek

Keeping this one for my compleat- got about 15 left myself but not done many news ones in last few years !

Thanks for posting :D
wilkiemurray

Postby pigeon » Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:52 pm

Looks a good hike Pete,need to get to it soon.250's another good milestone,well done :wink:
pigeon
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:130
Fionas:41   Donalds:40+7
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   Islands:2
Walk wish-list

Postby Huff_n_Puff » Tue Jul 22, 2014 6:16 pm

Thanks for this - am hoping to get to Seana Bhraigh in the not so distant future. :D

Congratulations on reaching 250 - sound like a pretty big number to me :clap:
Huff_n_Puff
Walker

Munros:278   Corbetts:20
Fionas:10   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:19   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:19

Postby rockhopper » Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:09 pm

maybe long but it's a great walk on an equally great hill - well done on your 250 as well :clap: - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby annsd » Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:58 pm

Well done! I'll hope to do this one soon myself, nice report :)
annsd
Mountaineer

Munros:272   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland