walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Loch Ness 360 in 4 days

Loch Ness 360 in 4 days

Postby andrewl7642 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:35 am

Route description: Loch Ness 360

Date walked: 26/06/2014

Time taken: 101 hours

Distance: 127 km

Ascent: 500m

8 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

A 79 mile (approx) walk around Loch Ness starting from, and finishing at Inverness Castle.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

After an un-satisfying 7 day trek of the Rob Roy Way, a wet and wearisome experience, another short hike was required to lift the spirits.

Initially I was considering the Trail of 7 Lochs, a 50 mile long distance route which runs in a circuit between South Loch Ness and the East Highlands. I began reading up on the trail but decided I should wait until I have an adequate map or guide book, due to the remoteness of the route. I have since ordered the Harveys XT40 Map which lays out both the South Loch Ness Trail and the Trail of 7 Lochs and so will get round to this eventually.

I soon stumbled upon a webpage documenting the Loch Ness 360 trail, a 79 mile (approx) walk around Loch Ness starting from, and finishing at Inverness Castle.

As I had previously done the Great Glen Way and parts of the South Loch Ness Trail, I knew I wouldn't require maps, the hike would be a fairly easy one.
The only real challenge was to be able to complete the walk within the 4 days which I had available. ... piece of cake!

Day 1 - Thursday

So I caught the 6:14 am train from Aberdeen to Inverness on the Thursday morning, arriving in Inverness at 8:30am. Upon arriving I checked in at Weatherspoons (The Kings Highway) for a full Scottish Breakfast and Latte before heading on up to the Castle. (The Courthouse!)

Inverness from the "Castle"

From the Castle I followed The Great Glen Way as far as the River Ness Islands before continuing straight ahead along Dores Road, turning left onto Holm Road to reach Essich Road where Torbreck is sign posted. From Torbreck I followed the South Loch Ness Trail through the forests and out onto the open moorland before descending through farmland to reach Loch Ness at Dores Beach.

Roundabout at Essich Road

Start of South Loch Ness Trail

First view of Dores

Dores Beach

It turned out to be a scorcher of a day, with Dores beach and the Dores Inn both very busy. I was going to go along the beach and take a few pictures but it was too busy for my liking so I just carried on walking and sneaked down to the banks a mile or so ahead where I could view Loch Ness in its full glory.

Loch Ness just past Dores

I must of walked for about 5 or 6 miles along the minor road adjacent to Loch Ness before eventually turning back up into the forest. I stopped at the Change House (Old Stable) for a noodle break then carried on following the Change House Trail on South Loch Ness into the evening.

I reached as far as Inverfarigaig before retiring for the day by the bonny banks of Loch Ness, hidden from the road by the undergrowth, pitching up just in time to watch Sun set.

One of two hidden grassy pitches along the banks of Loch Ness.

Well deserved Noodles and Hot Chocolate before bedtime

Attempt at getting a fire going

Day 2 - Friday

Up at the crack of dawn, I head down to the loch to cook breakfast, Oats so Simple and a 3-in-1 Coffee, before packing away the tent and heading for the hills before the tourists arrived.

South Loch Ness Trail through Inverfarigaig forest

I passed through Inverfarigaig forest for about 6 miles to eventually reach the small village of Foyers, where I replenished my water supply and used the facilities before a much longer hike to Fort Augustus via countryside, forests, open moorland and minor roads, completing the South Loch Ness Trail at Loch Tarff, about 4 miles north of Fort Augustus.

Falls of Foyers

Friendly couple out for a stroll near Whitebridge

Loch Tarff - end of South Loch Ness Trail and a 4(Ish) mile walk to Fort Augustus

Loch Tarff

Eventually arriving at Fort Augustus at about 7pm I checked into Cumberlands Campsite, which was a relief to find after so much walking. It wasn't too busy, I pitched up then head into the village for a Smoked Sausage Supper from the local Chippy and carried it back to the campsite. I then had a fairly early night, hitting the hay about 9pm.

Cumberlands Campsite, Fort Augustus (Life Saver!)

The weather wasn't as glorious as day 1 but it stayed dry.

Day 3 - Saturday

Saturday morning I head down to the foot of Loch Ness for some picture taking and then it was a quick visit to the local store for supplies before continuing around the loch, this time joining The Great Glen Way.

Neptunes Staircase on the Caledonian Canal, Fort Augustus

The foot of Loch Ness, Fort Augustus

Joining the Great Glen Way at Fort Augustus

life saving energy drink... and tasty too

Reaching the Great Glen - first views over Loch Ness

Forestry Commission - Always spoiling the fun!

After a 7 mile hike over the Great Glen I stopped at Invermoriston for lunch by the River Moriston Falls, then head on my way to Drumnadrochit, through the forests reaching Borlum Farm Camping at about 8pm. What a long day that was.

The Old Bridge at Invermoriston

Invermoriston Falls

View of Loch Ness from Stone Seat

make your own Loch Ness

First views of Drumnadrochit creeping through

Finally reached Borlum Farm Camping - Phew!

Head into the village for my Sausage and Chips again (not so good this time) then back to the campsite for some serious snoozing, trying not to pay attention to my aching ankles.

Once again it stayed dry for most of the day with just a couple of mild showers.

Day 4 - Sunday

Day 4 was to be an easy day, a 10 mile hike to the next campsite, where I would chill out before a short stroll into Inverness the next morning.

I retraced my steps from Borlum farm back into Drumnadrochit and continued to follow the Great Glen Way, passing through the village before ascending the steep forest paths back onto the Glen.

Leaving Drumnadrochit behind - Views of Loch Ness and Urquhart Castle

It was then miles of steep forest tracks to eventually reach Abriachan Forest Trails, a community run forest with eco-toilets. Having plenty of time on my hands, I took a slight detour on the way here by visiting the Shieling (one of the many hidden shelters in the Abriachan Forest Trails) and Carn na Leitire.

Abriachan Forest Trails

Shieling

Carn na Leitire

Top of Abriachan Viewpoint

Loch Laite from Abriachan Viewpoint

I then carried on a bit further to reach the Eco-Cafe & Campsite, where I would be spending the night.

Upon reaching the campsite I was greeted by a wee note at the gate reading, "Andrew doing the Loch Ness 360 Trail, Come on Up!". The owner of the campsite had been following my progress on Facebook and was expecting me.

Entrance to the Eco-Campsite

Greeted by Squeak the Pig!

I went on up to the house where I enjoyed a chat with the owners over some Real Coffee and Cheese Toastie before pitching my Vango Banshee with the help of Squeak the Pig.

Squeak helps out by eating everything in sight

Tent pitched successfully

The rest of the eveining I entertained myself with a raging fire (with permission of the owner of course), accompanied by a few tunes from the mp3 player and an alcoholic beverage (or two).

It was a peaceful night, and stayed dry for my fire, no other guests arrived, the tranquility of the real highlands was my own.

Day 5 - Monday

My final day arrived, the return to civilization.
I was packed up and away by 7am to reach Inverness on time for my train home.

It was about 6-7 miles walk through the forest to reach the outskirts of inverness, then another couple of miles through the outskirts of the city passing the Golf Course, The Caledonian Canal, and various housing estates before eventually retracing my steps along the River Ness to arrive back to Inverness Castle.

First views of Inverness, after a long un-scenic route through the forest

Passing the Caledonian canal

Arriving back at River Ness after 4 days of Wilderness

Inverness Castle - Actually a Court House, hardly a Castle!

Arriving back at Inverness - View from the Castle, time to go home :(

Photo gallery here: https://get.google.com/albumarchive/100408387173570597610/album/AF1QipNe9yUObcZJYMY9ZoH0Tk68zRUA6y4kV2fHKKiq
andrewl7642
Scrambler

Munros:16   Corbetts:4
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:6   

Re: Loch Ness 360 in 4 days

Postby maldav2 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:15 pm

Good read. Maybe combining this with the GGW in March with my dog, Joe the Cocker. Any tips or advice would be much appreciated 🐾🐾👍
maldav2
Mountain Walker

Hewitts:1
Walk wish-list

Postby gld73 » Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:34 pm

The new Inverness justice centre is opening in April or so, meaning tourists and walkers going up to the castle will no longer be mixing with G4S vans and their occupants heading for their court appearances 😁
gld73

Munros:178   Corbetts:76
Fionas:69   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:94   Hewitts:60
Wainwrights:107   Islands:13

Postby Mountainlove » Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:59 am

I did not even know that walk excised. Thank you for sharing it. The campsite with the pig looks great need to check this out :D
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Munros:90   Corbetts:54
Fionas:7   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:10

8 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland