walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Arthur in the Evening

Ben Arthur in the Evening

Postby weaselmaster » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:36 am

Route description: The Cobbler, Arrochar

Corbetts included on this walk: The Cobbler

Date walked: 23/07/2014

Time taken: 4.1 hours

Distance: 11 km

Ascent: 1019m

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

For some reason it hadn't occurred to me before that we might head off after work midweek and do a nearby hill whilst the long evening light is still with us. As it's going to be a truncated weekend for me due to work reasons and no hills at all for Allison due to family commitments it seemed obvious to sneak up and do Ben Arthur on a lovely summery evening. I'd been up the Cobbler before, December 12 with my old dog, but hadn't threaded the needle, just trembled a bit looking at it that day. So it was definitely worth another trip. I was feeling slightly anxious about the summiting, but reckoned with dry rock it should be straightforward enough.

Top down in the car and blazing sunshine on the drive up. Got to Succoth around 5.20 and headed off up the zigzags, both kitted out in shorts. Oh it was hot and sticky, with a profusion of flies and winged ants. Got a grand view of teh rocky outline of the mountain from here - last time I was up it was all hidden in clag. Reached the edge of the trees and stopped at a suitable spot to wolf down some food, during which time we were passed by a group of 4 brightly dressed guys who looked like climbers. Setting off again we took the path to the L by the dam and headed up An t-sron, thousands of daddy long-legs milling through the long grass. As we gained height the sun fell behind the bulk of the hill and cooler shadow covered us.

First view
ImageP1020837 by 23weasels, on Flickr

Arrochar & Ben Lomond
ImageP1020838 by 23weasels, on Flickr

Beinn Luibhean
ImageP1020839 by 23weasels, on Flickr

ImageP1020841 by 23weasels, on Flickr

ImageP1020842 by 23weasels, on Flickr

We came to the base of the summit rock-mass and I took a faint path heading up to the R. Then reached what appeared to be a wee scramble - crampon scratches suggested this was one way up. Whilst scouting for a route up I slipped and fell - not far, maybe only about 8 feet, but enough to jar my hip and neck and give me quite a fright. Although I've had various slips and stumbles before I don't think I've even fallen on rock before. I felt a bit anxious now about the rest of the ascent - it really wasn't what I needed for my confidence. A horrible fear gripped me that I'd chicken out of threading the needle and then would be unwilling to do any more scrambly things in future. Knowing that I just needed to get on with the matter in hand and tackle the original plan safely, I nodded to Allison to keep going, but this time taking the proper path down to our left - in fact the faint path I'd chosen led up to the South Top, which is not somewhere we'd really planned to be :roll: A surly raven grokked then floated off towards Narnain.

Scene of my fall
ImageP1020844 by 23weasels, on Flickr

Up the easier path
ImageP1020845 by 23weasels, on Flickr

South Top
ImageP1020848 by 23weasels, on Flickr

Up to the central area, Argyll's Eyeglass before us. Great views of Beinn Ime and Luibhean, Ben Lomond pointy in the distance. Get going, I said to myself. Allison went through first and I was pleasantly surprised to note the ledge was broad on the other side. It was actually easy enough getting to the summit, and we grinned away in the sunshine. The climbers we'd seen earlier had reached the South summit and waved over. We took some snaps then headed down - this a little more challenging than ascending given the sloping nature of the rock - I would not fancy coming down in wet conditions. After safely returning through the eye of the needle, we headed over to the North top which provided some superb views of the mountain. We could see the climbers heading up the central summit from the south top.

ImageP1020849 by 23weasels, on Flickr

Argyll's Eyeglass
ImageP1020851 by 23weasels, on Flickr

ImageP1020852 by 23weasels, on Flickr

ImageP1020853 by 23weasels, on Flickr

Made it!
ImageP1020854 by 23weasels, on Flickr

Climbers on the S Top in distance
ImageP1020857 by 23weasels, on Flickr

Back at the window
ImageP1020858 by 23weasels, on Flickr

N Top
ImageP1020861 by 23weasels, on Flickr

N Top, view to Ben Lomond
ImageP1020865 by 23weasels, on Flickr

S & Central Tops
ImageP1020866 by 23weasels, on Flickr

Climbers doing their thing
ImageP1020869 by 23weasels, on Flickr

Beinn Ime
ImageP1020870 by 23weasels, on Flickr

Back down the eastern path to the good track between Arthur & Narnain. A beautiful evening now the heat of the sun had diminished. We passed a couple putting up a tent up past the Narnian Boulders and I envied them their evening out under that sky. Back to the car, a quick pint in the Village Inn before a glorious drive back down the road. Definitely something to do again before the nights start shortening.

ImageP1020875 by 23weasels, on Flickr

Ben Arthur & the Narnian Boulders
ImageP1020879 by 23weasels, on Flickr

Lomond
ImageP1020881 by 23weasels, on Flickr

Dam
ImageP1020882 by 23weasels, on Flickr

Back to Succoth
ImageP1020885 by 23weasels, on Flickr
weaselmaster
Hill Bagger

Munros:277   Corbetts:217
Fionas:196   Donalds:73+30
Sub 2000:391   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:15   Islands:28

Re: Ben Arthur in the Evening

Postby AnnieMacD » Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:58 pm

What a fantastic evening you got - weather is forecast to be awful again this weekend (in the NW at any rate). That photo of you sitting in the 'window' is fantastic - and the one of Allison looking over to Ben Lomond. Beautiful evening light.

Great that you are none the worse for your slip.
AnnieMacD
Mountaineer

Munros:25   Corbetts:15
Fionas:13   
Sub 2000:8   

Postby basscadet » Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:26 pm

Glad you were none the worse for your slip. :shock:
I didn't realise the needle waas so infamous before I did it - found out afterwards that it was supposed to be tricky :lol:
Good idea for some evening walking.. my new job doesn't leave me much evening which is pants :( - Well jealous :D
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby ceaser » Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:39 pm

great wee hill , I did it as an afterthought after doing Narnain and Ime , threaded the needle , but unfortunately I was alone , so no pictures of me on top of it .....gives me an excuse to go back and do it again though I suppose :)
ceaser
Walker

Munros:90   Corbetts:52
Fionas:6   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:8

Postby GillC » Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:49 pm

Fab you guys,,gotta love that hill,,,i must be hitting double figures for that one,,in all conditions lol :clap:
Great pics too
GillC
Munro compleatist

Munros:64   Corbetts:50
Fionas:32   Donalds:30
Sub 2000:22   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:22

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland