walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Strathcarron Quickie: Creag Dhubh Mhor

Strathcarron Quickie: Creag Dhubh Mhor

Postby malky_c » Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:15 pm

Grahams included on this walk: Creag Dhubh Mhor

Date walked: 10/11/2009

Time taken: 2 hours

Distance: 10 km

Ascent: 610m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Grahams: Creag Dhubh Mhor
Date walked: 10/11/2009
Time taken: 2 hours
Distance: 10 km
Ascent: 610m
Weather: Warm and calm, but lots of drifting cloud

Back in the good old days when I had monthly site visits to Kyle of Lochalsh, I was able to squeeze a walk in here and there. More awkward in the autumn and winter, but with an early start and a bit of planning, something was usually possible. This time I had to visit Shieldaig on the way home to look at potential sites for a new water treatment works, so Creag Dhubh Mhor slotted in nicely. Originally I had hoped to cram in Sgurr a Gharaidh, but my meeting in Kyle overran, and the amount of daylight left was short (had to take photos at Shieldaig too!).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Creag Dhubh Mhor looked like it would just fit my 2 hour window if I ran some of it. After failing to find anywhere to park in Achintee, a local guy directed me to an area of hardstanding next to the substation. I had tried to park back down on the main road junction, but he told me that was inconvenient for access. Always good to be put straight by someone helpful! Next was a slight confusion as to which path to take, as the path shown on the map now started next to my parking spot rather than where it was shown. Still, it soon turned into a good stalkers path, which led me up past waterfalls to the craggy NW face of Creag Dhubh Mhor. I ran about half of this part.

River Taodail:

Across to Glas Bheinn:

Where the path started skirting to the north of the hill, I veered off to climb a marshy gully to the summit. Sadly low cloud obscured the long distance views, but I did get a few sneaky peeks down Loch Carron and into Ben Dronaig. The landscape was very wet, rough and craggy, and reminded me a lot of Meall Fuar Mhonaidh.

A glimpse of Beinn Dronaig and Loch Calavie:

Back to Strathcarron:

Creag Dhubh Beag and Loch Carron:

A better look at Loch Carron:

Always on the lookout for a different return, I aimed for Loch nan Creadha on descent to pick up the other stalker's path shown. This cross country section was steep to begin with, weaving through heathery crags, then lower down very boggy! I had to run most of the way down to make it back in the 2 hour time slot that I had allotted myself.

An Ruadh-stac emerges from the clag:

Despite the afternoon never quite clearing up, the drive round to Shieldaig and Loch Damh was picturesque, and I just about had enough daylight to take the site photos I needed. I also took a couple of other shots.

Shieldaig:

Liathach from Shieldaig:

Across Loch Torridon to Beinn Alligin:
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Grahams:219   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:272   Hewitts:269
Wainwrights:122   Islands:35

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland