walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Read all about it! 3 dead on busy Aviemore Corbett!

Read all about it! 3 dead on busy Aviemore Corbett!

Postby Graeme D » Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:50 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: Geal-charn Mòr

Date walked: 19/07/2014

Time taken: 2.8 hours

Distance: 10.4 km

Ascent: 590m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The Saturday of the Nethy Bridge meet and day 4 of my tour. Friday night had passed in a blur of Trade Winds, wigs and military headwear. There didn't appear to be any great concensus about where folk were planning on walking today and in the end, I ended up scooting up the nearby Corbett of Geal Charn Mor on my Jack Jones - first time I've walked alone at a WH meet!

I had initially planned to do this walk on the Sunday of the weekend in April when a big family group had hired a holiday cottage in Aviemore, but as it turned out I got talked into going skiing that day instead and ended up spending most of the morning on my arse and most of the afternoon sitting at the snow bar next to the Ptarmigan drinking Cairngorm Gold and listening to Bob Marley and Ravi Shankar over loudspeakers. A very surreal juxtaposition indeed!

As it turned out however, I was to be far from alone on this walk today as this turned out to be the busiest walk of the last four days. I must have encountered about 15 or 20 other people either walking or cycling throughout the duration of my walk, including a couple at the summit who I spoke to for a wee while. They were on a similar meet, staying at the bunkhouse at Slochd which they heartily recommended. They went on to explain how well equipped and clean it was but then put a dampner on our prospects of ever holding a WH meet there when they explained how a sign on the door warns residents that they are "not permitted to turn up the worse of strong drink". I did however see a glimmer of hope for us and a possible loophole in this clause in the phrase "turn up". Nothing about what happens after you've turned up!

Anyway, if this hill was alive with the living, it was also alive with the deceased....... if that makes any sort of sense whatsoever! I should have expected carnage when I stepped out of the car by the entrance to the Allt na Ciche Spiritual Centre and found a dead bird lying on the verge. Death number 2 came in the form of a fairly freshly fallen sheep lying by the side of the Allt Coire na h-Uchdaich. Still thinking nothing of it, I popped off the track a wee while later into a little depression to see a man about a dog and came face to face with Death number 3 in the form of the snarling grimace and decomposing remains of some unfortunate creature who had been caught in a spring loaded trap within a crudely put together wooden box. I wouldn't have been at all surprised if the heat had gotten the better of the bird and the sheep, but this was just wanton cruelty! I rearranged the top back onto the box and overlaid it with some big rocks and continued on my way.

Fortunately I saw no further evidence of the Grim Reaper's work although when I did get back to the bunkhouse at Nethy Bridge, a few souls were hanging about the place looking more than a shade like death warmed up!

IMG_1638.JPG
Start by the Spiritual Centre

IMG_1653.JPG
Death number 1

IMG_1639.JPG
Through the gate and onto the Burma Road

IMG_1640.JPG
Steep start - looking back

IMG_1641.JPG
Death number 2

IMG_1642.JPG
Up the motorway track

IMG_1643.JPG
Not looking so good over the Gorms

IMG_1644.JPG
Death number 3

IMG_1645.JPG
Cairn marking the path off to the summit

IMG_1646.JPG
Very Cairngorm like plateau

IMG_1647.JPG
Slochd couple leaving the summit

IMG_1649.JPG
Fourth Corbett in as many days

IMG_1650.JPG
Heading back down

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Graeme D

Munros:230   Corbetts:114
Grahams:67   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:57   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:27   Islands:6

Re: Read all about it! 3 dead on busy Aviemore Corbett!

Postby wilkiemurray » Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:07 pm

a narly picture there of the wee creature :( -looks like a ferret or similar animal perhaps ?

Nice report - - did this in winter a few years back- the snow had been compacted down on the track but I remember moving off the track on the last leg and the snow being extremely deep (and tiring to get through ) - amazing views back over to the Cairngorms :)

ATB

Murray
wilkiemurray

Postby Graeme D » Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:26 pm

wilkiemurray wrote:a narly picture there of the wee creature :( -looks like a ferret or similar animal perhaps ?

Nice report - - did this in winter a few years back- the snow had been compacted down on the track but I remember moving off the track on the last leg and the snow being extremely deep (and tiring to get through ) - amazing views back over to the Cairngorms :)

ATB

Murray

Thanks Murray. Aye, with teeth like that I reckoned a ferret, stoat or a weasel. Not sure what weaselmaster will make of it! :shock:
Graeme D

Munros:230   Corbetts:114
Grahams:67   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:57   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:27   Islands:6

Postby PeteR » Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:52 am

This is another of those hills I often wonder about doing on the road up to or back from a bigger hill.

Looks a bit of a dangerous place though :shock:
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:159
Grahams:89   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:177   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby mountain thyme » Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:33 pm

Death number 3 does look a bit scary :( I done this one too after the inchnadamph meet and ran to try and beat Rodmeisters time :)
mountain thyme
Walker

Munros:40   Corbetts:222
Grahams:12   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby Collaciotach » Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:03 pm

Jeezo No3 has a fine set of fangs on it think it ! ....may be a stoat , keepers persecute them as they take grouse chicks eggs and other cratur's that only the wealthy and ignorant are supposed to shoot purely for pleasure of course / If you see them spring em and burst the boxes :D
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:178
Grahams:33   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:23   
Islands:28

Postby rockhopper » Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:08 pm

good stuff, Graeme - was lucky enough not to see carnage like this when up here (maybe 'cos I was too busy trying not to fall off the bike :roll: ) - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Grahams:72   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:19

Postby dogplodder » Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:12 pm

Not the sort of gentle hill to expect death and carnage on! :wink:
dogplodder

Munros:237   Corbetts:65
Grahams:18   
Sub 2000:28   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:23

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

Your generosity keeps this site running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland