Page 1 of 1

Biking to Beinn an Eoin & Baosbheinn

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:44 pm
by Johnny Corbett
Started from the Wee Red Shed which is Green and biked down the path to just beyond the Loch. This is a rough path and i'd recommend a good mountain bike if cycling this route. I left my bike at one of the large boulders before making my way over the the ridge, climbing Beinn an Eoin first. After the initial wee climb to the ridge it's a fairly easy walk to the summit but very steep on the descent. I headed for the bothy, which is locked, on my decent down steep rocky slopes and care in needed on this route which ever way you descend. Once down i headed up to Ceann Beag and followed the ridge as it curved its wayround and up and down to the summit of Baosbheinn. I returned to my bike via the north east ridge for the cycle out which was hairy stuff at times along some rocky terrain and was thankful to get back to the car in one piece without falling off.
Beinn an Eoin 002.JPG

Beinn an Eoin 003.JPG

Beinn an Eoin 005.JPG

Beinn an Eoin 006.JPG

Beinn an Eoin 009.JPG

Beinn an Eoin 010.JPG

Beinn an Eoin 011.JPG

Beinn an Eoin 012.JPG

Beinn an Eoin 013.JPG

Beinn an Eoin 014.JPG

Beinn an Eoin 015.JPG

Beinn an Eoin 016.JPG

Beinn an Eoin 017.JPG

Beinn an Eoin 018.JPG

Beinn an Eoin 020.JPG

Beinn an Eoin 021.JPG

Beinn an Eoin 022.JPG

Beinn an Eoin 023.JPG

Beinn an Eoin 024.JPG

Beinn an Eoin 025.JPG

Beinn an Eoin 026.JPG

Beinn an Eoin 029.JPG

Beinn an Eoin 030.JPG

Beinn an Eoin 031.JPG

Beinn an Eoin 032.JPG

Re: Biking to Beinn an Eoin & Baosbheinn

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:27 pm
by wilkiemurray
Nice one JC - my bike has just about given up the ghost- it started having problems after the rear mech was snapped on the descent from this very trip - definitely not one for a racer bike :lol:

Also remember the very steep descent to the bothy - not one I would fancy under snow!!!

Nice report as always

ATB

Murray

Re: Biking to Beinn an Eoin & Baosbheinn

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 2:52 am
by Collaciotach
Saw this hill from Beinn Eighe and Alligin last week looks great :clap: :clap:

Re: Biking to Beinn an Eoin & Baosbheinn

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:58 pm
by Johnny Corbett
wilkiemurray wrote:Nice one JC - my bike has just about given up the ghost- it started having problems after the rear mech was snapped on the descent from this very trip - definitely not one for a racer bike :lol:

Also remember the very steep descent to the bothy - not one I would fancy under snow!!!

Nice report as always

ATB

Murray
Thanks Murray. Yeah my bike took a fair battering on this one and was slipping gears when i took it out into the Fisherfields two days later. :(
Collaciotach wrote:Saw this hill from Beinn Eighe and Alligin last week looks great :clap: :clap:
Yeah two crackers Colla, will look out for your reports on Eighe & Alligin :D

Re: Biking to Beinn an Eoin & Baosbheinn

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:02 pm
by mountain thyme
Looks 2 good ones :D

You no meant to wear sunglasses over your eyes :o

Re: Biking to Beinn an Eoin & Baosbheinn

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:08 pm
by Johnny Corbett
mountain thyme wrote:Looks 2 good ones :D

You no meant to wear sunglasses over your eyes :o
Aye they are but it's a tough cycle, would only bike this if you've done mountain biking before and have a good quality bike. Sunglasses? only when the sun is shining :wink:

Re: Biking to Beinn an Eoin & Baosbheinn

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:15 pm
by rockhopper
Another good one, JC - have done lower walks and mountain biking up here but not up in the hills yet. Would agree on its being a tough track - have cycled up to Poca Buidhe in the past but did have to carry the bike on some rougher parts - so bumpy on the way down that my front wheel QR worked loose at one point and had to stop to tighten it before the wheel came completely loose :shock: - cheers :)

Re: Biking to Beinn an Eoin & Baosbheinn

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:19 am
by malky_c
I used my bike for this as well. It definitely saved some time, but not that much - pretty rough going! Great hills.

I got a lift up the track to Loch Braigh Horrisdale (a little further west) on a quad bike for work last week. Even that was barely faster than walking!

Re: Biking to Beinn an Eoin & Baosbheinn

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:04 pm
by BlackPanther
I think I will walk it rather than risking my teeth :lol: :lol: :lol: I'm a rubbish cyclist on rough paths.

Still to do these two and they look like a cracking pair of C's :D

Re: Biking to Beinn an Eoin & Baosbheinn

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:50 pm
by AnnieMacD
These two are on my list - as separate walks though. Definitely won't use the bike then - thanks for the advice. I believe they both provide great ridge walks.

Re: Biking to Beinn an Eoin & Baosbheinn

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:03 pm
by Johnny Corbett
rockhopper wrote:Another good one, JC - have done lower walks and mountain biking up here but not up in the hills yet. Would agree on its being a tough track - have cycled up to Poca Buidhe in the past but did have to carry the bike on some rougher parts - so bumpy on the way down that my front wheel QR worked loose at one point and had to stop to tighten it before the wheel came completely loose :shock: - cheers :)
Cheers, i read about you cycling this route and for some reason i thought you'd did the Corbetts :D
malky_c wrote:I used my bike for this as well. It definitely saved some time, but not that much - pretty rough going! Great hills.

I got a lift up the track to Loch Braigh Horrisdale (a little further west) on a quad bike for work last week. Even that was barely faster than walking!
Yeah it's the roughest track i've ever cycled :shock:
BlackPanther wrote:I think I will walk it rather than risking my teeth :lol: :lol: :lol: I'm a rubbish cyclist on rough paths.

Still to do these two and they look like a cracking pair of C's :D
That's the smart way, i'm still shaking from the cycle :lol:
AnnieMacD wrote:These two are on my list - as separate walks though. Definitely won't use the bike then - thanks for the advice. I believe they both provide great ridge walks.
They are great ridge walks, Beinn an Eoin is nice and gradual and if doing on its own you will avoid the steep descent by returning down the ridge. As for Baosbheinn, its more up and down and the SMC book recommends continuing down the ridge to return back to the start. :D