walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

An Garbh Coire, Braeriach, Angel's Peak and Cairn Toul

An Garbh Coire, Braeriach, Angel's Peak and Cairn Toul

Postby Ronnie1959 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:01 pm

Date walked: 05/08/2014

Time taken: 24 hours

Ascent: 1298m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Cycle into Derry Lodge and walk up Lairig Ghru cutting into An Garbh Coire, where I camped between Angel's Peak and Braeriach.

A sincere heads up and thanks very much to fellow walker for the chat and advice and for the very kind present of her map.

Event ridden night due to my losing my sleeping bag, whilst walking across heather bog resulting in a very cold 'sleep' in my wee snugpack. However the bonus of broken sleep was magnificent views of the stars, around 2.10 am. I rose groggy around 5 am, but was soon awake after breakfast of coffee and fruit. Later on I delayed my ascent of Braeriach to watch a pair of Perigrine Falcons hunting grouse and phtarmigan around the tops.

I eventually set off around 5.40, slowly ascending the steep slope in stages. Amazing views atop of the Sun rising over Ben Macdui. Thereafter long walk around the edge to Angel's Peak, and magnificent views of Loch Uaine and Cairn Toul. Rather painful decent towards Devil's Point path and Corrour Bothy for my soup and refill of water holder. Laboured walk back through the Glen to my bike. Thanks to gents who helped me cross the ford, with bike. Enjoyed the cycle back to Derry Lodge and Linn O' Dee in blazing sunshine pleased to have taken the bike and reduced my blisters. First walk on my own without my pal and late, long-term confidant... Denny the Munro conquering Jack Russell
Ronnie1959

Munros:24   Corbetts:1
Sub 2000:3   

Re: An Garbh Coire, Braeriach, Angel's Peak and Cairn Toul

Postby Ronnie1959 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:48 pm

Hello... can any fellow walkers advise how to post photos on to walk blog?

Thanks

Ron
Ronnie1959

Postby Johnny Corbett » Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:17 pm

Hi, If you look at the help out to use the site on the forum there is a post there with all the info needed for uploading photos :D
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby Ronnie1959 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:36 am

Thanks very much...Will have a shufty and try
Ron
Ronnie1959

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland