walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Vorlich

Ben Vorlich

Postby Jock McJock » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:33 pm

Route description: Ben Vorlich via Loch Sloy

Munros included on this walk: Ben Vorlich (Loch Lomond)

Date walked: 22/04/2010

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 11 km

Ascent: 945m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Lovely day for a walk. Nice and sunny but not too warm. Found the wee cairn by the side of the road, looked up and thought "surely not" lol.
Photo0542.jpg
Surely not!!!!
Very steep and just kept going up. Ground was a little boggy on the first part up the steep bit but managed to find my way around most of it. Got up onto the ridge after about an hour or so and soon got a wee breather and got my breath back.
Photo0570.jpg
Time for a wee breather and to enjoy the view back down Loch Lomond.
Still quite a lot of snow and ice around at that point but nothing that made the walk more difficult. After 2hrs 45mins of hard slog found the trig point and then the true summit just beyond.
Photo0580.jpg
The top at last!!
Wind was howling across the top and making it very cold indeed.
Photo0581.jpg
Very cold!!
Made my way back down a little to a more sheltered place before stopping and having a wee bite to eat. Views were brilliant all around and really made the slog up worth it.
Photo0591.jpg
Stopped for my lunch and to take in the lovely views.
Sat for around 30 to 40mins before heading back down. Arrived back at the car park 5 hours after setting out. Great day. Think I;ll go back and do Ben Vane next week.
Jock McJock
Mountain Walker

Munros:173   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:1   

Re: Ben Vorlich

Postby mountain coward » Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:13 pm

That path you were on along the ridge... was it on the ridge-top or just below it? I ask as we were following one just below it and it petered out just below the summit - we had to just turn straight uphill from there and luckily hit the summit spot on (it was in really thick clag - all our Arrochar Alps were :( )

Thanks for those photos anyway - nice to see it at last... think that's another we should do again
mountain coward

Postby Jock McJock » Wed May 05, 2010 12:43 am

Not really sure what path it was to be honest. It was the only one that I seen. Think it must have been the one on top of the ridge. It was quite faint in parts though making it hard to stay on track at times. Wandered off it a few times (not by much thankfully) before realising and getting back on. Snow was also covering some of it. Pity about the clag on your walks. But thems the breaks sometimes :lol: . Will prob go back up there again sometime as I really enjoyed the day. Fancy Ben Vane, the big steep one opposite, next time though.
Jock McJock
Mountain Walker

Munros:173   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:1   

Postby Paul Webster » Wed May 05, 2010 9:37 am

Good pics - thanks. Hope you enjoy Ben Vane - it's steep :D
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby spartacus » Sat May 08, 2010 5:08 pm

Nice Pics, can see this from home on a clear day but never actually been up there, looks like the views are spectacular with the right conditions. This is defo on my todo list 4 this year.

cheers
spartacus

Munros:6   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:3   

Postby gammy leg walker » Sat May 08, 2010 9:21 pm

Steep I"ll 2nd that ! for now being the lowest munro on the list you"ve got to earn your tick in the book on this one :lol: :lol:
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland