walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

White Coomb

White Coomb

Postby Bay Bloke » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:49 pm

Route description: White Coomb by the Grey Mare's Tail

Corbetts included on this walk: White Coomb

Donalds included on this walk: Lochcraig Head , White Coomb

Date walked: 24/04/2010

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 11 km

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Fantastic day climbing in the Moffat Hills, weather great (sun burned neck in April!?)

Start in the national trust car park then quickly ascend via well maintained path overlooking the waterfall

24042010828.jpg
view from car park

24042010829.jpg

24042010830.jpg

Path then levels and fairly quickly Loch Skeen is reached. lots of great photo opportunities here.

24042010831.jpg

24042010832.jpg
Lochcraig Head

24042010833.jpg
Lochcraig Head again

I think the best path skirts to the right of the wee lochan but we kept to the left and joined the fence a bit further on. Little boggy

24042010834.jpg
Donalds Cleuch Head

I found the ascent up Lochcraig Head a bit of a lung burster, hopefully my fitness will grow through the spring/summer after a winter on my backside... :D

Quick descent from west shoulder of Lochcraig Head then back up to the ridge again, after that it's a mainly flat and pleasant stroll to White Coomb.

Highest point of the day

24042010836.jpg
white coomb summit

Descent from White Coomb is great fun with some very minor hands on scrambling.

24042010837.jpg

After that it's a matter of following the dyke wall down and picking your spot to cross the burn, lots of boulders to assist. Wouldn't fancy it in spate though :shock:

To close we retraced steps to car, great to see lots of day trippers going to see the waterfalls

white coomb.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Bay Bloke
Mountain Walker

Munros:44   Corbetts:2
Fionas:1   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:6   

Re: White Coomb

Postby Bay Bloke » Sun May 02, 2010 10:39 am

lots of edits placed after first private draft, hope it reads ok!!
Bay Bloke
Mountain Walker

Postby mountain coward » Sun May 02, 2010 10:47 am

Reads fine - some great pics of the waterfall there... what's that path like which goes up past it for those who fear steep drops and slopes?
mountain coward

Postby Bay Bloke » Sun May 02, 2010 1:04 pm

mountain coward wrote:Reads fine - some great pics of the waterfall there... what's that path like which goes up past it for those who fear steep drops and slopes?

In good weather it's fine, obviously well maintained by the trust with a good gap to the steepish drops on the left side. There were lots of day trippers in trainers ascending on our way back, one even had a est 5 year old on his shoulder (that was pushing it!)
Bay Bloke
Mountain Walker

Postby mountain coward » Sun May 02, 2010 1:14 pm

Great - so if I don't like it, I can get someone to carry me along the path :lol:
mountain coward

Postby GarryH » Sun May 02, 2010 5:53 pm

Bay Bloke wrote:I found the ascent up Lochcraig Head a bit of a lung burster,

So did we BB but the views were worth it
DSC01561.JPG

DSC01564.JPG
GarryH

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland