walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Fara

The Fara

Postby bio-man » Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:46 pm

Route description: The Fara, Dalwhinnie

Corbetts included on this walk: The Fara

Date walked: 17/11/2008

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Caught the first train from Glasgow to Dalwhinnie after a night shift!! At 0930, I set off down the track on the NW shore of Loch Ericht. A few yards after second dwelling house (flats) called An Tochailt, there is a large forebreak that takes you from the lochside and NW directly towards the 911m summit. The large summit cairn is just to the right of an even larger rock. There was some snow covering and the wind was very blustery. I had planned to take in the whole ridge, which meant heading SW into the wind. After the south top at 901m, I headed SW towards Meall Cruaidh. Unfortunately cloud cover was very low, so there were no photo opportunities. When the cloud cleared momentarily, the views were stunning. Once over Meall Cruaidh, I headed SW to a gap in the forest and down to Ben Alder Lodge. I had a late lunch here as apart from the summit cairn, the whole ridge is very exposed. The long track alongside the loch is fairly easy going, I even declined the offer of a lift (cheating!!). There is a great deal of construction traffic on this track, so be careful. The Dalwhinnie Inn is a great place for soup and I can rcommend the Magners Soup and Charonday. It's a very grey and isolated village but would I live there?? In a minute!!! Time taken including GPS and lunch stop - 7 hours.
Last edited by bio-man on Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bio-man
Munro compleatist

Munros:1   

Re: The Fara

Postby bigbertie » Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:35 pm

Sounds a good day, apart from the refreshments afterwards. My wife and I walked in to Culra along that track once and we were also offered a lift - there must be some nice guys there. I'm afraid we accepted. It enabled us to do a couple of Munros the same day which we might not have managed otherwise. I fancy doing the Fara sometime and including the gorge to the NE (Dirc Mhor, I think) in the circuit.
bigbertie

Re: The Fara

Postby bio-man » Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:27 pm

Couldn't see anywhere close to the gorge due to the low cloud, but the views would've been good. Walking back along the track certainly convinced me that using the bike in May is a very good idea!! Maybe go up there again when the weather's better??
bio-man
Munro compleatist

Munros:1   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

Your generosity keeps this site running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland