walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Two Misty Sgurr's

Two Misty Sgurr's

Postby martin.h » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:16 pm

Route description: Sgurr Choinnich and Sgurr a'Chaorachain

Munros included on this walk: Sgurr a'Chaorachain, Sgurr Choinnich

Date walked: 30/07/2014

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 20 km

Ascent: 1230m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I had read the walkreports of these two mountains on the walkhighlands website,looked at them on the map and thought they would be nice mountains to climb and a decent vantage point looking towards the more rugged mountains on the other side of Strath Carron and the Torridon mountains beyond.
We set off from Kinlochewe in good time and took just over 20 mins to get to the forest carpark at Craig.There were a few cars already there but we got parked up with no problems,we had the obligatory midge attack while'st booting up but we were on our way without too much scratting.
The start of this walk is plain enough,cross the railway and then simply follow the track as it winds it's way above Sloc Mor gorge which is hidden below in the trees.
At the moment there are a lot of Hydro works being done and it has turned the track into a muddy road and has evidence of pipeworks all along the initial 4km or so of track,we were passed by several pickup trucks and vans on this section but as we got to the main construction area marked by tin huts,diggers and a massive mobile crane the track beyond soon became narrower and as it should be.
P7302771.JPG
Looking back towards the Hydro works, the crane is just visible

P7302772.JPG
Forward

About another km from this point there is a small cairn marking the start of the path leading down to a wire bridge over the burn,and this is where we crossed the Allt a' Chonais,now,this is something I've never seen before so the first few steps on the wire were taken with caution,after these first tentative steps I soon realised that it's a clever construction and you can soon pick up pace and get across,it's a good job the burn was'nt is spate otherwise it could have been a different story.When we were both across and heading along the path,I realised that i had'nt got a piccy of Denise crossing the bridge,I suggested she went back and go halfway across but I was told to b.....off,one missed opportunity,shame on the guy with the camera.
P7302774.JPG
Looking back at the wire bridge

P7302773.JPG
and where we are going

The path upto Bealach Bhearnais is very good but as we got higher the clouds kept covering the bealach and we got no real sence of how the slopes of Sgurr Choinnich looked,and on the bealach we lost the path,I think we must have gone too far over so retraced our steps towards the steepening slopes and managed to pick up the path again'it's suprising how I can lose a path in the mist as it was as plain as day when we came across it.
P7302775.JPG
The bealach

P7302776.JPG
A bit dark

P7302778.JPG

P7302779.JPG
But we were heading into brighter conditions

P7302780.JPG

P7302777.JPG
Bidein a'Choire Sheasgaich with it's head in the clouds

From here the path goes steadily uphill working its way through rocks and boulders,the views were limited but we could see the way ahead and some of the surrounding mountains.After 50 mins we arrived at the summit with it's small cairn,
P7302781.JPG
Denise at the summit of Sgurr Choinnich

unfortunately the clouds were obscuring any views but we could make out the way forward so off we trotted to Sgurr a'Chaorachain.
P7302782.JPG
Onward to no: two

The decent into Bealach Coire Choinnich was longer than anticipated but the path was plain enough if a bit loose in parts.The climb upto Sgurr a' Chaorachain is really quite enjoyable, not too steep and we did get the odd glimpse of Loch Monar.
P7302783.JPG
Loch Monar through the mist

P7302784.JPG
T'other mountain's up there,somewhere

P7302786.JPG
Limited views

After 40 mins we were at the summit of Sgurr a' Chaorachain being battered a bit by the strong wind,we sat down by the trig point in the shelter up there not being able to see much.
P7302787.JPG
On the summit of Sgurr a'Chaorachain

After a short while and a snack we headed off down,
P7302788.JPG
The way down

set the compass on 5degs travelled about 600 mtrs then set a bearing towards the Allt an Lubain Bhuidhe,found it and followed this down until we got out of the cloud,I was'nt sure if this was the best thing to do because the map suggested it was steep and craggy,but in the event it was'nt too bad and soon we were below the clouds and we could see the track below so headed off more or less directly towards it,it was steep but we kept coming across bootprints so realised we were not the only ones to head off down this way.
P7302789.JPG
All becomes clear

P7302790.JPG

P7302791.JPG
Steep hillside

P7302792.JPG
Just before the soggy slip

P7302794.JPG
We see alot of these,not sure what they are but they a lovely plant

After alot of slithering and sliding we arrived at the track,sat down and looked at the mountain side we'd just come down and I must admit,looking at it,it would'nt have been my first choice for descent but really,there was'nt much option.
P7302795.JPG
Possible descent route?,could'nt see it from above

We had landed on the track about 1.5km from the path leading to the wire bridge so knew we had a trudge back to Craig,eventhough it was a bit dull,it was warm and there was no rain,so we got our heads down and walked.
It took a little over an hour to get back to the car park and thus ended a very enjoyable day in the mountains,I can see the advantage of using mountain bikes to get to and from the mountains because it is a long walk in and out to get to these two,so I guess we'll have to make a shopping list......Two mountain bikes,helmets etc ooh and a new estate car to put them in.
martin.h
Mountain Walker

Munros:210   Corbetts:17
Grahams:10   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:149
Wainwrights:214   Islands:23
Walk wish-list

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland