walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

'..one may have to move fast between trains...'

'..one may have to move fast between trains...'

Postby lairdoharray » Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:19 pm

Date walked: 17/07/2014

Time taken: 6.75 hours

Distance: 22 km

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The SMC book on Munros states that for the expedition from Corrour station to climb Sgor Gaibhre and Carn Dearg '..one may have to move fast to complete it between the morning and evening trains' : you do! There was a gap of 7 hours and 5 minutes that Thursday and I had 15 minutes to spare. The midges thought I had done well and turned out on the platform to congratulate me and see me off to Glasgow. Yes, I was pushing it. I'm still a bit overweight, it was a warm day, I had plenty of fluids and some spare clothes so it was a heavy pack and a slog uphill. Do make sure you are fit for this trip. Although I met my challenge, I did not really savour the views: cardinal sin. I followed the SMC route, but did not include Sgor Choinnich (critically, timewise). The fall back plan was to have a meal in the restaurant and get the sleeper back to Glasgow, but that involves late night buses home etc; a very long day. The restaurant opens at 6.30 after the southbound train departs and so i was denied the cold pint of ?? that I had craved. In summary, a great walk, a day of prayerful meditation, 2 more on the Munro score sheet and a few lessons learned.
lairdoharray
Mountain Walker

Munros:105   Corbetts:14
Fionas:6   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:14   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland