walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Bynack More and the lovely Cairngorms

Bynack More and the lovely Cairngorms

Postby Mountainlove » Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:21 pm

Route description: Bynack More from Glenmore

Munros included on this walk: Bynack More

Date walked: 03/08/2014

Time taken: 4.5 hours

Distance: 21.7 km

Ascent: 877m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The northern Cairngorms...somehow I had never managed to climb any Munro up there and only thanks to the last Walkhighland meet in July, I tackled my first one. Back then with the weather not that great, I had a quick walk up to Cairngorm (which seemed a matching first hill for the Cairngorm plateau) but with no views and the 'pavement with railing ' :shock: :shock: down the hill, I wasn’t impressed at all.

Surely the Cairngorms could be better!

2 weeks later I was back and Bynack More was waiting for me. The weather was glorious (even though the forecast had talked about rain) and parking at the Reindeer Station I was in a good mood and keen to get going.
The walk though the forest towards Glenmore lodge was easy, I guess it would be possible to park at the lodge itself, but the car park looked pretty crammed when I past it, so I was glad I didn’t attempted it. :thumbup:

Moving on I overtook hordes of sunday walkers. It was certainly the busiest start of a hike I had in ages. Stopping briefly at the gorgeous green loch- Lochan Uaine, I took some photos and continued out of the forest were the path split towards the right. From that moment on, I was alone and the stunning countryside was mine to enjoy. Stopping frequently to take pictures, I could see why people love the Cairngorms and with a perfect path to follow the walk was sooo easy.

The path...so easy and lovely

The green loch

Ryvoan bothy blending in perfectly

So pretty

Lovely...with Bynack More in the far distance

2h after setting off I reached the final climb towards the summit and in the distance saw 2 people. Could I overtake them? :think: Trying to race while walking up a hill isn’t easy, but I do like a challenge 8) I succeeded and managed to overtake the 2 walkers just before the summit. :thumbup: :thumbup:

The final top

Close to the top

The path up

The summit was bigger than I had expected and the views were lovely. Finally I was able to see Cairngorm across the valley and the views down south were stunning. Walking around I took pictures and sat down for a bite to eat.

The top views

Looking out towards the west, I started to get worried when the black clouds I had seen previously seemed to approach with an incredible speed. 'Here comes the rain'. Unpacking my bag, I moved the waterproof gear to the top and decided it was time to leave fast. I looked at the other 2 walkers in shorts and t-shirt and hoped they had thought about proper gear. By the time I started walking down the sun had disappeared and half jumping , half walking I made my decent over the rocky boulders until I reached the wide path again

Black clouds approaching

By that time the first rain drops hit and skin and I started to jog. My backpack bobbed all over the place, until I found a good rhythm and even though running in rather un-suitable hiking boots was a pain, :roll: I enjoyed myself tremendously. :D :D Looking up the black clouds were now above me and the heaven opened. I stopped quickly to put my waterproof jacket on and cover my backpack in its rain cover. For waterproof trousers it was far too warm.

Just before the rain started

Feeling energetic and rather fit, I continued the jog down the hill. The inside of my jacket quickly turned into a Sauna, but I didn’t care…this was fun! :D

I would love to say that I managed to run without any breaks, but I am not that fit and took breaks in which I walked fast. By the time Ryvoan bothy came into view the rain stopped briefly and by that time my legs muscles were screaming at me to stop. 8) :-|

It was time to listen to them and walk. I reached the forest knackered and wet inside out. Could things get worse?? Things did got worse when the rain started again and thousand of midges stated to attack me…argh...I thought the buggers don't come out in the rain? :crazy: :shifty: :thumbdown: When the rain became torrential, the midges finally gave up and 4 hours 30 after leaving the Raindeer Station I was back...drenched by the rain and sweat but happy. What a day it had been and the Cairngorms had showed me how lovely they can be…I shall be back! 8) :D

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Mountainlove
Walker

Munros:54   Corbetts:24
Grahams:7   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:9

Re: Bynack More and the lovely Cairngorms

Postby dogplodder » Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:30 pm

That approach is lovely isn't it? I was there last week walking in to Beinn a' Chaorainn - just gorgeous and your photos do it justice as they always do. :D
dogplodder

Munros:227   Corbetts:53
Grahams:16   
Sub 2000:25   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:9   Islands:23

Postby goth_angel » Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:46 pm

This was one of our early ones - a really nice straightforward walk. Didn't quite get your weather though!
goth_angel

Munros:101   Corbetts:9
Grahams:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:13   Hewitts:68
Wainwrights:136   

Postby rockhopper » Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:49 pm

Great day for your second foray into the Cairngorms despite the late rain - views are so clear ! Mind you, rain or no rain, I'd be walking back.....jogging needs just too much energy :crazy: :wink: - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:207
Grahams:61   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:19

Postby scottishkennyg » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:05 pm

Nice photos reflecting a lovely walk. Jogging expends far too much energy. :wink:
scottishkennyg

Munros:282   

Postby Beaner001 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:07 pm

Ah this report ignites good memories for me, did this as my first Munro with my dad about four years ago, the Green loch is lovely. Nice report and pics as usual :clap: :D
Beaner001
Munro compleatist

Munros:234   Corbetts:26
Grahams:3   
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland