walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Meall nan Eun from Victoria Bridge, a bit of difference

Meall nan Eun from Victoria Bridge, a bit of difference

Postby Dommie » Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:04 pm

Munros included on this walk: Meall nan Eun

Date walked: 09/08/2014

Time taken: 8.5 hours

Distance: 24.1 km

Ascent: 1028m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This time I was thinking about to approach this Munro, which is usually climbed from Glen Etive, from a different route. My walk starts from Victoria Bridge car park, about 5 miles off A82 from Bridge of Orchy.
Up to 7.9 km where river needs to be crossed, close to the Western end of Loch Dochard, the walk is easy and straightforward. The route follows the river, no need to go up to Clashgour farm. There are stepping stones at 4.4 km but did not work in my case (probably my legs are too short) so took the bridge at 4.9 km. This route however required to cross the river at 4.2 km too, which was easy but in case the water level is higher, may be an issue.
Although there is a faint sign that some road crossed the river at 7.9 km, the last vehicle must have crossed it ages ago. Boots had to be taken off and walked through the river barefoot. It was probably about 1 m deep and, surprisingly a bit warmer than ice.
Then, the nightmare started. Up to 9.2 km the whole area is a huge swamp: Difficult route finding, many turns back, sink 40-50 cm into the mud that slowed down the walk a bit (and filled my boots up). At higher altitude the surface becomes more solid. River needs to be crossed last anywhere but it's easy. After that the peak can be climbed from anywhere you want. Somewhere half way on the hill (where else) started raining like crazy. View from the top? No point to waste more words than: If the weather is nice you have a nice view, if not...
On the way back it maybe a good idea to choose a bit less steep way, especially after/during rain, as I did. When reached the point where river was to be crossed: Happiness, what I felt.
All in all the walk was beautiful but was slowed down by unpredictable wetland conditions.
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Dommie
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:28
Fionas:3   Donalds:6

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland