walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Crianlarich 7 - a great round

Crianlarich 7 - a great round

by Alteknacker » Sun Aug 17, 2014 3:42 pm

Munros included on this walk: An Caisteal, Beinn a' Chròin, Beinn Chabhair, Beinn Tulaichean, Ben More, Cruach Àrdrain, Stob Binnein

Date walked: 15/08/2014

Time taken: 13 hours

Distance: 38.6 km

Ascent: 3758m

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: Crianlarich 7 - a great round

Postby dogplodder » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:24 pm

What is it with you guys and your long routes? What stamina to do all these in a round. And bonkers! :lol:
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby Alteknacker » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:58 am

dogplodder wrote:What is it with you guys and your long routes? .....:lol:

The answer for me is fairly simple: the Highlands is a long way from where I live, so I need to make it worthwhile. Now I'm retired I plan on doing some multi-day walks, so I guess they'll be shorter, especially if I can't resist taking the kitchen sink along....
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby HappyHillGoer » Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:56 pm

Hi Alteknacker

I saw your post today from Applecross which looked fantastic and coincidentally have been planning a Crianlarich 7 peak round for some time now - the coincidence of course being that just now I've stumbled across your own! This is a terrific read

I think to do my round I'll try to get the train to Ardlui (from Glasgow) and return by train from Crianlarich. May I ask - presumably paths were more or less absent except for on the ridge between Ben More and Stob Binnein, as well as the descent off Ben More?

Fantastic report and thing to do, nice one

HappyHillGoer (calum)
HappyHillGoer
Stravaiging

Munros:83   

Postby Alteknacker » Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:51 pm

HappyHillGoer wrote:Hi Alteknacker

I ... have been planning a Crianlarich 7 peak round for some time now - the coincidence of course being that just now I've stumbled across your own! This is a terrific read

...May I ask - presumably paths were more or less absent except for on the ridge between Ben More and Stob Binnein, as well as the descent off Ben More?

Fantastic report and thing to do, nice one

HappyHillGoer (calum)

Thanks for the kind words, HHG. I'm not the best person to ask about paths because I generally try to avoid them. However, cranking up my atrophied memory cells... the only part of the ridge other than on BM and SB where I recall there being a length of path was on the bit between Beinn a' Chroin and An Caisteal. However, the terrain was quite easy going where there is no path - I mean: not waist-deep heather, no head-height bracken. It would be a bit more difficult in clag, no doubt, with a couple of potential big drops to watch out for... :roll: But a bit of careful compass work (or GPS) would see you OK, I'm sure.

I'm sure you'll get a lot out of the round - lots of variety and great views to enjoy; and I hope to read your report on this site in the very near future :D .

Alterknacker
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Postby ridge blunderer » Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:56 pm

A fine days walking! Good to find a report from someone who has done the same route as described in "The Big Walks" by Ken Wilson and Richard Gilbert, a book that has been inspiring me since I was about 18. (The chapter is called "Ridge wandering in Perthshire").
I have made the Crianlarich Hills the targets of my last two "winter walking sleeper train" weekends (they are annual, I live in Hampshire). I did Ben More and Stob Binnein in one day which was challenging navigation in white out, then last year Cruach Ardrain, Beinne Tulaichean, Stob Glas, Beinn a Chroin and An Caisteal in one day which was hard going in light snow, dawn til dusk. I had hoped to get Beinn Chabhair in the same day but just not enough daylight in Feb. So guess where I'm going in a few weeks!
ridge blunderer
Munro compleatist

Munros:93   Corbetts:4
Fionas:2   
Hewitts:77
Wainwrights:75   Islands:12

Postby Alteknacker » Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:24 am

ridge blunderer wrote:A fine days walking! Good to find a report from someone who has done the same route as described in "The Big Walks" by Ken Wilson and Richard Gilbert, a book that has been inspiring me since I was about 18. (The chapter is called "Ridge wandering in Perthshire").
I have made the Crianlarich Hills the targets of my last two "winter walking sleeper train" weekends (they are annual, I live in Hampshire). I did Ben More and Stob Binnein in one day which was challenging navigation in white out, then last year Cruach Ardrain, Beinne Tulaichean, Stob Glas, Beinn a Chroin and An Caisteal in one day which was hard going in light snow, dawn til dusk. I had hoped to get Beinn Chabhair in the same day but just not enough daylight in Feb. So guess where I'm going in a few weeks!

It surely is a fine day's walking, though unless you're Goingforawii, it would be pretty tough to get around on a winter's day!

Richard Gilbert has been an inspiration to me too, although this via "200 Challenging Walks" - a 1993 birthday present from the CEO. There are some stunning pics in the book that really get one salivating... :roll: . It was looking at some of his routes that set me on the path of studying maps to put together routes myself, rather than relying on others' routes.
Alteknacker
Scrambler

21 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland