walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Torridon winter wonderland (Jan 2009)

Torridon winter wonderland (Jan 2009)

Postby malky_c » Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:38 pm

Grahams included on this walk: Beinn na Feusaige, Càrn Breac

Date walked: 21/01/2009

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 12 km

Ascent: 770m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Grahams: Beinn na Feusaige,Carn Breac
Date walked: 21/01/2009
Time taken: 4 hours
Distance: 12 km
Weather: Calm and sunny but cold

Time to dig into the archives again. Haven't been out in the snow yet this year, other than a very light dusting on Mount Blair a few weeks back. So seems topical to write this one up properly.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Was working over in Kyle and Lochcarron, but as usual had my boots in the car in the event of good weather. I thought these hills would make a quick afternoon out, so I parked up at the loop of old main road at Loan, and headed east up the A890 a short distance to a firebreak. I climbed easily up this, over a fence, then more steeply onto Beinn na Feusaige, hitting the smowline fairly shortly after the forest. 45 minutes on and the gradient eased, with great views of Torridon and Coulin opening up.

Top of Glencarron from ascent of Beinn na Feusaige:

First glimpse of Torridon:

Beinn Eighe, Meall a Ghuithais and Slioch:

South to Sgurr na Feartaig and Sgurr Choinnich:

Good views from this summit, and easy going following a line of fence posts down to Lochan Mhic Iamhar. At this point, the snow got a lot slushier, and the going became harder. To save time, I contoured the south face of Carn Mhic Iamhar, although in retrospect this probably made little difference.

Descent towards Lochan Meallan Mhic Iamhar (Torridon in background):

Lochan Meallan Mhic Iamhar:

More soft snow, which began to consolidate a bit on the ascent to Carn Breac. Large rectangular cairns guide the way here in mist, although they weren't required today! This ascent went on for longer than I expected, and I began looking at my watch, concious that I had work to do when I got back to Inverness. I carried on, and eventually reached the summit. There was a very cutting breeze up here - not very strong, but extremely chilling. Still the scenery more than compensated for it - the jewel in the crown being the view across Loch Coulin down to Liathach and Beinn Eighe.

That classic view down to Torridon with Loch Coulin in the foreground:

Fuar Tholl, Beinn Liath Mhor, Sgor an Lochan Uaine:

Loch Carron and Fuar Tholl:

Torridon again, from the summit of Beinn Breac:

Slioch and a sliver of Loch Maree:

South to Sgurr nan Ceannaichean, Sgurr a Chaorachain and Sgurr Choinnich:

Any thoughts of descending over Coille Bhan to complete the circuit were abandoned, and I returned to the col and the head of the stalker's path. this was very vague higher up, and didn't make the going much easier until much lower down.

A satisfying but surprisingly hard going walk, given the modest distance and ascent. These hills took me longer than the Moruisg and Sgurr nan Ceannaichean across the glen to the south, although the snow probably contributed somewhat to that!
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Grahams:219   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:285   Hewitts:271
Wainwrights:130   Islands:38

Re: Torridon winter wonderland (Jan 2009)

Postby kinley » Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:52 pm

8) Nice - cracking hills :D

And some great wintry shots.

We did climb Coille Bhan to do most of the loop in September (but dropped back into the glen rather than use the firebreak).

The high loop was a great walk. 8)

Always had these pencilled in as winter hills - may go back.

Cheers :)
kinley

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

Your generosity keeps this site running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland