walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Triple Buttresses of Coire Mhic Fhearchair

The Triple Buttresses of Coire Mhic Fhearchair

Postby Avocetboy » Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:51 pm

Route description: Triple Buttress of Coire Mhic Fhearchair

Date walked: 14/08/2014

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 14 km

Ascent: 600m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Hurricane Bertha arrived on the sunday afternoon of our first day in Sheildaig and the weather did not improve until Wednesday. With only one day of our week in torridon left and the weather forecast good, the Triple Buttresses of Coire Mhic Fhearchair were an obvious choice to see Torridon in all its glory.

Forecast was for a cloudy start, but offered the possibilities of bluer skies as the day progressed. We parked up at the car park at 10.00am . There were hints of blue skies, but as we started, Spidean Coire Nan Clach had his head in the clouds.

The start of the walk climbs at a steady rate and before too long the views begin to open up behind towards Sgurr Dubh

Eventually the path levels out and turns into the valley between Liathach and Beinn Eighe. There was still no hint of the promised better weather.

However, the cliffs of Stuc a Choire Dub Bhig looked magnificent swirling in and out of the low cloud

Eventually we reached the much photographed buried whale.

Carter did his best to try and prize his mouth open, but to no avail

Just after the whale, it is necessary to cross the Allt Coire an Anmoich. This was pretty straight forward today as the stepping stones were all visible. However, I would imagine it would have been pretty difficult the previous two days after the huge amount of rain that fell on Torridon.

The path continues onwards around to the hidden side of Liathach. Coire Dubh Beag looked amazing. I saw a large bird circling in the Corrie. Possibly an eagle, but no sooner had I got my binoculars out, it had dissapeared into the swirling cloud.

I assume these are the An Fasarinen pinnacles of Liathach?

As the path swings round the base of Sail Mhor, the mountains of Northern Wester Ross come into view

Finally, after two hours of walking, the lip of the corrie comes into view with some amazing waterfalls on the left hand side.

I have read descriptions of the Coire Mhic Fhearchair being one of the most incredible places in Scotland. It really is true. Its a long walk in and. in many ways, this is what makes it so special, you have to earn he right to be there and what a privilege it is.

The view looking west from the outflow towards Beinn Dearg and Beinn Alligin

We planned to walk round the loch, but my wife's legs were giving her some serious pain as a result of a very hasty descent of Tom Na Gruagaich some days earlier, so we spent some time eating some lunch and set about returning.

As we began our descent, I looked up at an amazing gulley and wondered if it was possible to ascend this to the summit of sail mhor. Days later I realised that this was Morrisons Gully, to be known from now on as Annies Gully, following Anniemacd's remarkable descent of this posted on this forum a few days ago.

As we walked out, the forecast lived up to its promise and the clouds lifted. As hoped, we were now seeing Torridon at its most beautiful and dramatic best

A wonderful walk, and anyone visiting Torridon must make the effort to walk to this amazing place. Next time I intent to climb the scree slope and walk the Beinn Eighe ridge. I am already dreaming and planning next years visit!!!
Avocetboy
Mountain Walker

Munros:59   Corbetts:21
Fionas:7   Donalds:9
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:74   Islands:7

Re: The Triple Buttresses of Coire Mhic Fhearchair

Postby BoyVertiginous » Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:53 am

Excellent stuff, AB. Magical place and cracking pics. Have yet to venture out in the bigger Torridon hills, need to put that right soon.
BoyVertiginous
Wanderer

Munros:251   Corbetts:75
Fionas:26   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:49   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:62   Islands:18

Re: The Triple Buttresses of Coire Mhic Fhearchair

Postby AnnieMacD » Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:38 pm

Oh, I don't know how I missed this - probably licking my wounds :lol: It is indeed an amazing place to be - whatever the weather and I'm pleased it cleared up for you at the end of the day.

I don't know whether to feel pride or embarrassment at your renaming of the gully :shock: It will certainly live on in infamy for me! That's a great photo of it - I didn't get any as clear as that due to the mist. Thanks for posting it.
AnnieMacD
Mountaineer

Munros:25   Corbetts:15
Fionas:13   
Sub 2000:8   

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland