walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Four Seasons - Across the Moine Mhor

The Four Seasons - Across the Moine Mhor

Postby jupe1407 » Sun Aug 24, 2014 1:02 pm

Route description: Beinn Bhrotain and Monadh Mòr , from Glen Feshie

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Bhrotain, Monadh Mòr

Date walked: 23/08/2014

Time taken: 9 hours

Distance: 29.3 km

Ascent: 1549m

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I hadn't been out since the three Beinn a'Ghlo munros a month ago. In that time i'd been off on holiday, eaten badly, not had any sports/exercise due to a broken nose and also laziness. I'd also had my first game of football for weeks the night before, and combined with three hours sleep, I felt pretty cack arriving at the car park just short of Auchlean. This feeling not helped by taking not one but TWO wrong turns, first to Insh, then to some forestry track :lol:

Fife Flyer and Backpacker had arranged a 7.30-8am-ish start, so I was a tad late after my various detours. After getting ready incredibly quickly, mainly due to the swarm of midges I set off down the road to Auchlean then took the path cutting off towards the forest.

Monadh Mor and Beinn Bhrotain.jpg
Road to Auchlean

It's a lovely walk through the forest, with a carpet of purple heather, interspersed with tree and the lovely backdrop of Glen Feshie.

Monadh Mor and Beinn Bhrotain-2.jpg
Through the Forest

There was little breeze at this height and with the overcast conditions, it seemed very humid and I was probably sweating more than Cliff Richard by the time I emerged from the trees to a view of Carn Ban Mor and the long track leading up to it.

Monadh Mor and Beinn Bhrotain-3.jpg
Purple Carpet

I saw tiny figures well into the distance and thought they'd probably be Martin and Gary, and upped my pace (or tried to). As a result i spent much of the ascent breathing out of my ****. The views back down however, were tremendous.

Monadh Mor and Beinn Bhrotain-4.jpg
Glen Feshie and beyond

After a while the excellent path steepens and then relents as it reaches the bealach between the two summit bumps of Carn Ban Mor. I looked ahead and was quite glad i'd soon be getting some breeze, the clag was a price worth paying to cool down a bit.

Monadh Mor and Beinn Bhrotain-5.jpg
Into the Clag

The path becomes a worn track and meets a crossroads above the great plateau of Moine Mhor. I'm assuming it was great as I couldn't actually see it. The left branch heads to Sgor Gaoithe, with a feinter track to Mullach Clach a'Bhlair. No surprises there. I headed straight on and within yards it started raining, briefly heavy but nothing really to worry about, although it did necessitate and annoying change into a waterproof jacket and the seemingly endless footering trying to get the rucksack cover on. The path then meets a landrover-type track, ending just shy of an easy burn crossing of the Allt Sgairnich. I caught up with Martin and Gary here as they'd stopped to don waterproofs in the increasingly heavy rain. We also joined up with Kevin who is also a WHer. After a brief chat we headed off towards Tom Dubh, and eventually dropped down to the bigger river crossing of the Allt Luinneag. No photos of this as it was raining and the camera had been stuffed into a drybag. The others had sensibly brought flip flops, I crossed it barefoot. I swore, a lot. Everyone else got across with no problems other than the absolutely baltic water. Luckily i usually carry at least one spare pair of socks, so used the first pair to dry my feet and stuck the pleasantly fresh ones on.

Looking back, the summits of Sgor Gaioth and Sgoran Dubh Mor (a previous munro) were clear. That looks a fantastic mountain and it's sight dominates the Moine Mhor.

Monadh Mor and Beinn Bhrotain-6.jpg
Sgor Gaoith

After sorting ourselves out, we headed straight up the bouldery slope to Monadh Mor's large plateau, making the summit with no difficulties, other than not realising it was the summit. Luckily I'd touched the cairn and taken a photo or two. We only realised when heading towards the other cairn that it was the lower of the two.

Monadh Mor and Beinn Bhrotain-7.jpg
Monadh Mor Summit

Pleased that we could just completely ignore the other cairn, we headed for the bealach. The descent path is relatively steep but good, and the height loss seemed severe. Or maybe i was still knackered. We headed up the initially nice path to Beinn Bhrotain, which become a massive boulderfield. Thankfully a nice rainbow presented itself giving a great excuse to stop and briefly get my breath back.

Monadh Mor and Beinn Bhrotain-8.jpg
Rainbow

Beinn Bhrotain is a big rounded lump protected and a seemingly endless boulderfield.

Monadh Mor and Beinn Bhrotain-9.jpg
Boulders!

However the summit was soon reached with a mix of glorious sunshine and bitterly cold wind. The summit area consists of a couple of stone shelters and a trig point. We sat down out of the wind and enjoyed some lunch, playing the sunny-day-identify-mountains-around game. We also got a visit from a presumably hungry snow bunting.

Monadh Mor and Beinn Bhrotain-10.jpg
Beinn Bhrotain Summit

It's about 9.3 miles to this point so the thought of the trudge back, especially having to re-ascent Monadh Mor, is a bit annoying. I mentally shelved any half-baked idea to nip up for Sgor Gaoith on the way out and headed down to the bealach, and started the slog up Monadh Mor. The view back down past Bhrotain to Devil's Point and beyond is tremendous.

Monadh Mor and Beinn Bhrotain-11.jpg
Distant Devil's Point

As we slogged up to the plateau, Martin and Kevin made the schoolboy error of taking off their waterproofs. It immediately started to p*ish down, firstly with rain, then with sleet, blown into our faces by the strong wind. The walk back to the summit was less than awesome, but didn't take long. We then dropped and traversed across the slopes of Monadh Mor, back down to the Allt Luinneag, a journey during which I seemed determined to have an accident, twice standing in a wee hole and my knee bending the wrong way. Again, I may have sworn a bit.

Arriving at the even faster-flowing river, thanks to the not inconsiderable rain/sleet over the day, crossings were again discussed. I couldn't be bothered with the barefoot stuff so just walked through in the my boots. I was wet but not too cold. Kevin went barefoot and slipped on the bank. Everyone else was unscathed. All that remained was the long trudge up the track to Carn Ban Mor and eventually back to the car park.

Monadh Mor and Beinn Bhrotain-12.jpg
Heading back to Carn Ban Mor

All in all a fine day on two fine hills. I was absolutely wrecked by the time we eventually got back to the car, again attacked by midges. :? But quite pleased with a good day in almost every weather condition imaginable, and also with the decision to leave Sgor Gaoith, as i wanted to leave it for a really good day. An additional bonus was not getting lost on the way out of the glen. :lol:

Thanks to Martin, Gary and Kevin for a great day out.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

jupe1407
Mountain Walker

Munros:269   Corbetts:52
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:7   
Islands:6

Re: The Four Seasons - Across the Moine Mhor

Postby Backpacker » Sun Aug 24, 2014 2:44 pm

Cheers John, good report

Was a cracking day out, think my legs have just about forgiven me for yesterday
Backpacker
Munro compleatist

Munros:18   Corbetts:115
Fionas:38   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:57   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:4

Postby kev-dameerkat » Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:53 pm

Thanks for the company Gary, Martin & John had a great day with mixed seasons. Only effects was the wet a**e and pride after my all too usual slip. only this time into the dam cold river. Hope to catch up with you all again sometime.

Kev
kev-dameerkat
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:7
Fionas:3   
Islands:7

Postby Sarah86 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:59 pm

Beautiful set of photos, I love the heather at this time of year and our photos have captured it perfectly. Also love the rainbow shot.
Sarah86
Mountaineer

Munros:20   Corbetts:8
Fionas:3   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:20   Islands:1

Postby malky_c » Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:10 pm

Nice purple heather...is this really the same day/walk as the one in Fife Flyer's report? Looks much sunnier somehow. Must be selective photo choice :wink:

I was out on Braeriach yesterday. Glad I waited a day, as it looks like I got the better weather.
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby dogplodder » Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:35 pm

Long walk this one. I was quite glad of the excuse to get boots off to revive sweaty feet in the river! :wink:

Heather's looking great and nice rainbow. :D
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby jupe1407 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:51 pm

malky_c wrote:Nice purple heather...is this really the same day/walk as the one in Fife Flyer's report? Looks much sunnier somehow. Must be selective photo choice :wink:

I was out on Braeriach yesterday. Glad I waited a day, as it looks like I got the better weather.

I have a fancy-assed lens :lol: I was kind of lucky and shot the rainbow on the way up to BB when it was nice and sunny, Fife Flyer i think shot it on the way back when a front of atrocious weather was on it's way.
jupe1407
Mountain Walker

Postby simon-b » Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:12 pm

Some great photos there, especially the one with the rainbow looking like a bridge. It's good that you, Martin and others got a walk after gales and rain stopped everything a week ago on Saturday.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby jupe1407 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:52 pm

simon-b wrote:Some great photos there, especially the one with the rainbow looking like a bridge. It's good that you, Martin and others got a walk after gales and rain stopped everything a week ago on Saturday.

Thanks Simon.

It was a great to get out, August has been a rather mixed bag so far!
jupe1407
Mountain Walker

Postby Mountainlove » Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:03 pm

Well done for getting out again :D I agree with the weather being pretty bad that day! I think I also saw some snow flakes a bit further down the west :shock:
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Munros:88   Corbetts:54
Fionas:7   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:10

Postby jupe1407 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:19 pm

Mountainlove wrote:Well done for getting out again :D I agree with the weather being pretty bad that day! I think I also saw some snow flakes a bit further down the west :shock:

Summer seems all too short :(

Just read your report. Well done on getting through that. :shock:
jupe1407
Mountain Walker

Postby gammy leg walker » Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:20 pm

Looks like you had much the same weather I had when I did these two,its a fair wee slog back to the car from Bhrotain.
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby jupe1407 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:44 am

gammy leg walker wrote:Looks like you had much the same weather I had when I did these two,its a fair wee slog back to the car from Bhrotain.

My knees agree with you :lol:
jupe1407
Mountain Walker

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland