walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Summit Camping, Sunset & Sunrise...!

Summit Camping, Sunset & Sunrise...!

Postby dooterbang » Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:24 pm

Route description: Ben Vorlich via Loch Sloy

Munros included on this walk: Ben Vorlich (Loch Lomond)

Date walked: 24/08/2014

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 13.5 km

Ascent: 941m

10 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Most of the year has been lost due to injury, firstly a knee ligament tear quickly followed by tendon damage. My outdoor pursuits have mainly been cycling, recently I've also found myself back on the golf course. My physio informed me that I won't be able to run in The GSR Half Marathon this year, breaking the sequence of 15 straight appearances. Looking at the weekend forecast of sunshine and cloud free summits, plus reading about everyone compleating, sent the hill fever running through my veins. I would take a small risk and get up a mountain!! The plan was to take it easy up Vorlich and camp on the summit, well rested overnight I should be fine to toddle on down in the morning. Joining me on this mission would be fellow 40+ year old virgin (summit camping) Woodsy Boy - Stevie :)

As usual Stevie was running late, we eventually left Inveruglus car park at 5pm. I'd been buzzing for a few days and felt energized, I strode up the lovely single track and into a lush vista...albeit with some overhead pylons!

1km before Loch Sloy Dam we took a path and headed upwards. Being energized I blazed a trail to the summit without stopping or drinking water, I wanted to get the tent pitched before darkness you see! On summit @ 7pm!

Stevie was soon to follow. We both agreed to pitch just below the summit due to 25mph winds and a forecast of -2, and probably because as virgins we had to play it safe :D . The camp site, anticipating the sunrise from the East.

With our tents secure we got the stove out and cooked up some delicious pasta from a packet, not unlike the wonderful pasta bake a certain friend had lovingly cooked me last week :wink:

With light fading I took a few more photos before retiring to my tent and reading Lem Stanislaw's The Futurological Congress... a wonderfully descriptive mind bender of a book, it provided some vividly entertaining dreams :shock:

Strangely I managed a pretty decent sleep, crawled out of the tent at 5.30am like an excited kid! Stevie was also wakened but did quip how my snoring had kept him awake most of the night...appears he still suffers from some auditory hallucinations as I never snore, ahem!!

Last night's sunset was marred by clouds, although the sky was a warming pinky glow at times, so I was hoping the sunrise would be slightly more appealing....it certainly was, big grins smothered our faces :D 8)

Watching the sunrise from near the summit was spectacular, a thorough good buzz was had...high on life! At 7am we went back to our tents and lay for an hour, arising at 8am for a 90 minute lazy breakfast with the sun's rays belting off our near baldy nappers, - a consequence of the mature hill walker -, bliss!

My kit for the trip, managed it all in a 25+ 5L rucksack...no bad, eh Mr Alan Bellis - Mountainstar :wink:

At 09.40am we started the trek, all downhill, back to Inveruglus. Managed a few staged photos on route :wink:

High camping was great fun, we both agreed this would be on our agendas again very soon...well after I've rested my dodgy right leg that is, I did experience some slight pain later in the day, so easy does it for now. Cycling and golf anyone... :? :shock: :D
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Re: Summit Camping, Sunset & Sunrise...!

Postby kev_russ » Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:37 pm

Braw :thumbup:
kev_russ
Mountaineer

Munros:198   Corbetts:77
Fionas:27   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:7
Wainwrights:9   

Postby Avocetboy » Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:57 pm

Envious!
Avocetboy
Mountain Walker

Munros:59   Corbetts:21
Fionas:7   Donalds:9
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:74   Islands:7

Postby rockhopper » Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:07 pm

dooterbang wrote:My outdoor pursuits have mainly been cycling, recently I've also found myself back on the golf course.
:lol: snap ! a bit like me.....except that I've been caddying for my better half these last two weekends :crazy:
dooterbang wrote:Stevie was also wakened but did quip how my snoring had kept him awake most of the night...appears he still suffers from some auditory hallucinations as I never snore, ahem!!
:lol: :think: :idea: ear plugs - couldn't be without them myself 8)

That's the way to do it, dooters ! :thumbup: hard to beat being up there at sunset/sunrise. Good to hear you're recovering well - soon be back to your former levels - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby mountain thyme » Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:15 pm

Some cracking pictures :) That pasta youre holding is well named :wink:
mountain thyme
Walker

Munros:40   Corbetts:222
Fionas:12   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby Collaciotach » Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:34 pm

Good stuff a bhalaich and watch that injuries :D
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:27   
Islands:30

Postby BlackPanther » Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:15 am

WOW Dooters that's a smashing story! if you can't do the difficult ones, do the easy ones in style :lol: The sunset photos are amazing.

It was supposed to have been the coldest August night on record - didn't you get cold feet?

We cracked the Grey Corries yesterday, after a frustrating month off the hills, and I felt like a newborn... Even with sore knees afterwards.
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Postby dogplodder » Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:56 pm

Beautiful sunrise shots and well worth the effort. :D
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby Johnny Corbett » Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:06 pm

What a romantic setting you chose for you both to lose your virginity, bet you had a lovely evening together :lol:
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby dooterbang » Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:19 pm

Johnny Corbett wrote:What a romantic setting you chose for you both to lose your virginity, bet you had a lovely evening together :lol:
Ah, I'm an old romantic at heart....cheeky boy!! I did think Stevie had pulled when I heard the loud screaming of a sheep :shock:

BlackPanther wrote:WOW Dooters that's a smashing story! if you can't do the difficult ones, do the easy ones in style :lol: The sunset photos are amazing.

It was supposed to have been the coldest August night on record - didn't you get cold feet?

We cracked the Grey Corries yesterday, after a frustrating month off the hills, and I felt like a newborn... Even with sore knees afterwards.
It was very cold, put extra socks on...thankfully had my leggings too! Well done on cracking the corries, a nice walk that.

rockhopper wrote:)
That's the way to do it, dooters ! :thumbup: hard to beat being up there at sunset/sunrise. Good to hear you're recovering well - soon be back to your former levels - cheers :)
Cheers RH, be next year now to compleat them Munros....if I stay injury free.
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Postby Malckyb » Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:25 pm

Fab pics and a nice report..what an experience that must be. I saw nothing when we were up there. Well done! :)
Malckyb
Munro compleatist

Munros:87   Corbetts:6
Fionas:6   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:19   

Postby Mountainlove » Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:13 pm

Great pictures and it looks like you had a fantastic time. You were lucky that you had no rain! Well done for getting up a Munro again! Although with your current 'bagging speed', I might overtake you at some point :lol:
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Munros:88   Corbetts:54
Fionas:7   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:10

Postby Alteknacker » Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:06 am

You sure captured some brilliant images on this trip :clap: :clap: :clap:
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

10 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland