walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Cruachan

Ben Cruachan

Postby Physicistinboots » Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:04 pm

Route description: Ben Cruachan and Stob Daimh

Munros included on this walk: Ben Cruachan, Stob Daimh

Date walked: 09/08/2014

Distance: 13.3 km

Ascent: 1393m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

My second trip to Scotland this year. The primary purpose of the trip was to go sea kayaking in the Outer Hebrides but I managed to fit in a day of walking in the hills when we were back on the mainland.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

We chose Ben Cruachan as we could easily reach the start of the walk by public transport from Oban. It turned out to be a great choice, an interesting walk with wonderful views and even a little bit of scrambling.

We followed the usual route around the western side of the loch then cutting up the boggy slopes to the bealach and over the stones up to the summit. The day was fairly windy and the clouds repeatedly covered and uncovered the summit but we were lucky enough to arrive at a point where we could appreciate the views over Loch Etive and beyond.

The second Munro of the day, Stob Diamh, was reached by crossing a ridge heading eastward from Ben Cruachan. A great walk with fantastic views all around and an easy path to follow. By the time we reached Stob Diamh the wind had picked up so we put our hoods up and trudged into it. We failed to find the path down to the loch so made our way down the grassy slopes as best we could.

Once we arrived at the dam it should have been an easy stroll back down to the train station. Unfortunately the ground was very boggy just below the dam and I had become overly confident. I stepped on a patch that looked reasonably solid and proceeded to sink up to mid-thigh. It took by friend and another hiker who luckily happened to be passing, to pull me out. Lesson learnt – test with a stick/one foot first before plunging in!
Physicistinboots

Munros:66   Corbetts:1
Donalds:4
Sub 2000:4   

Re: Ben Cruachan

Postby stuliv83 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:23 pm

I really enjoyed doing Ben Cruachan earlier this summer. It has been some of my favourite walking - from the point where you leave the reservoir and hit the steep bit, all the way to the views at the summit of the Paps of Jura to the West and Nevis to the North, followed by a fun ridge across to Stob DIamh.

Like you mention though, that boggy bit below the dam wasn't very pleasant, and the short sharp ascent from the car park through the trees certainly put my leg muscles in a state of shock. No nice walk-in to get you warmed up for the day!
stuliv83
Rambler

Munros:183   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:1
Islands:7

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland