walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A Nice Wee Hill

A Nice Wee Hill

Postby dt27348 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:16 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: Mam na Gualainn

Date walked: 25/08/2014

Time taken: 4 hours

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I have been up this hill several times in the past but it is not too far from where I live and is a great viewpoint.
I parked near Callert House and followed the path through the trees and on to the open hillside.
It was a glorious sunny day with a stiff easterly breeze to keep me cool. As you gain height the view back down to the lochside is worth a photograph or two.

Copy of nx5 005.jpg

Copy of nx5 007.jpg

I followed the right of way to the high point where there is a large cairn and a view to the west end of the Mamores.

Copy of nx5 012.jpg

From the cairn a path ,faint in places,climbs to join the main ridge where the stiff breeze had turned into a wind strong enough to make me stagger occasionally and believe me I am no lightweight. An obvious path continues along the ridge towards the summit and leads to a gate in a fence.

Copy of nx5 018.jpg

The summit is a great viewpoint but was incredibly windy making photography difficult.

Copy of nx5 020.jpg

Copy of nx5 027.jpg

After finding some shelter for a bite to eat I retraced my steps back to the lochside managing a few more pictures on the way.

Copy of nx5 028.jpg

Copy of nx5 037.jpg

Copy of nx5 042.jpg

I would recommend this Corbett to anyone looking for a short day out and if you are feeling fit there is always the Corbett of Garbh Bheinn on the other side of the loch.
dt27348
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:167
Fionas:15   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   
Islands:24

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland