walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Two Gaick Corbetts by Bike

Two Gaick Corbetts by Bike

Postby mountain thyme » Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:35 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: An Dun, Maol Creag an Loch (A' Chaoirnich)

Date walked: 24/08/2014

Time taken: 5.4 hours

Distance: 24.5 km

Ascent: 1138m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Checked the weather forecast on the Saturday and Perthshire looked the best region for the Sunday. Also no deer stalking on Sundays there so all go. Older sister asked on the Saturday to come along. Texted her a few times on Saturday but no reply. So headed off myself and had scoffed my sisters sandwiches before I reached Stirling.
g3.jpg
Turn off from the A9

Took the turn off for Trinafour on the A9 and turned left and parked up on a grassy verge on the right hand side.
g2.jpg
Parking spot

g4.jpg
Crossing the A9

Started the walk at 920am. Headed back up onto the A9. Crossed the A9 and picked up a track heading left signposted for the Public Footpath to Gaick Pass to Speyside.
g5.jpg
Speyside Way

The track continues into the woods with a slight incline. I stayed on the left track as the track splits.
g6.jpg
looking back to the forest

Once through the forrest the track splits again. Here take the right split and continue along the track, passing through a gate and soon passing a huge cairn on the left hand side.
g8.jpg
take the right split after the forrest

g9.jpg
through the gate

g10.jpg
Schehallion. Looking back

g12.jpg
Cairn

The track descends slightly and I passed by a small derelict house on the left.
g15.jpg
derelict cottage

I continued on the track and headed over the first bridge over the Edendon Water and continued along the track and cycled over a second bridge. The track continues and crosses over a concrete bridge.
g16.jpg
1st bridge

g18.jpg
2nd Bridge. Dooterbang youd need to turn back here :(

g19.jpg
An Dun on the right

g20.jpg
3rd Bridge

g21.jpg
happy camper

The track continues to Sronphadruig Lodge. Here I left the bike down on the stones next to the river as I decided to cross the river and follow the track to the west side of An Dun rather than continue along the boggy path.
g24.jpg
The Lodge

It took me a wee while to try and cross the river at the shallowest part. I decided to take my boots off and wade across.
g27.jpg
An Dun

g28.jpg
ice water challenge - take two

Boots back on at the other side and followed the track up to the bridge. Headed across this towards the west side of An Dun.
g30.jpg
the bridge atthe bottom of An Dun

g31.jpg
Looking back to Schehallion

I headed east and steeply up heathery ground and soon picked up a path heading north towards An Dun. I gained the plateau of An Dun in no time at all as it was quite steep. Looking back there were some nice views towards Schehallion and beyond
I continued to head north to the first cairn and then further north to the true summit of An Dun.
g34.jpg
first cairn

g38.jpg
Summit of An Dun

I took a quick summit picture and had a wee short stop to refuel. I took a bearing and headed northeast down extremely steep ground, which involved a mixture of heather, grass and found a screeey path on occasions. I headed down in the direction and aimed for the Loch an Dun.
g39.jpg
View towards A'Chaoirnich

g42.jpg
Loch an Dun

At the north of the Loch I crossed the Allt Lochan Duin and headed east straight up steep steep heathery ground. This was really tough going especially as it was pathless most of the way. I kept south of the stream and on occasions found some stalkers paths which made the ascent slightly easier.

I continued north and found the huge cairn on the summit of A’Chaoirnich. I stopped here to have my second sandwiches of the day. Took some summit pictures and then quickly remembered reading that this wasn’t the true summit.

So headed north along the plateau and found the true summit in 10-15 minutes. I stopped here for a picture and then headed south. Passed the huge cairn again and then south west along the plateau, picking up stalkers paths on occasions.

Once the lodge came back into view I headed west down steep ground towards the fence at the edge of the forest and followed this back up to the reach the track. Picked up the bike from the stones next to the river and nearly died when i seen a huge dead deer right next to it . Back on the bike and along the track, coming off at one point to talk to the camper who had just clicmbed the two corbetts and was walking out. Back to the car in 5hours 40 minutes.
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Last edited by mountain thyme on Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mountain thyme
Walker

Munros:36   Corbetts:222
Grahams:11   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:14

Re: Two Gaick Corbetts by Bike

Postby mountain thyme » Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:40 pm

g48.jpg
First cairn on A ' Chaoirnich

g50.jpg
Summit

g54.jpg
Following the fence back to the lodge

g55.jpg
Next to my bike. Nearly had a heart attack
mountain thyme
Walker

Postby rockhopper » Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:02 pm

Nice one, MT - very useful, must keep this in mind for a bike trip :thumbup: Bit of a shock though when you got back to your bike :shock: - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:215
Grahams:64   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:19

Postby Johnny Corbett » Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:34 am

You forgot to mention as well as scoffing your sisters sandwiches, you also scoffed that Deer before you cycled out. :shock:
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:21   Corbetts:207
Grahams:162   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:285   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby thebaldfalcon » Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:57 pm

mountain thyme wrote:
g48.jpg

g50.jpg

g54.jpg

g55.jpg

, well done T maybe the dear died laughing at u on bIKE
thebaldfalcon

Munros:102   Corbetts:24
Grahams:3   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:3   

Postby The Rodmiester » Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:32 pm

Hi mountain thyme a couple of nice wee Corbetts these, Biking!!! A purist like you? Anyway what's wrong with the big stepping stones I used at the lodge, but I did miss the bridge you took, but managed over the water ok. Looks like you had a very similar day to me warm and sunny. Two more blue balloons, good on you. I'm heading Glen Coe and Glen Nevis next week, fingers crossed the weather is supposed to be good! :D
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Grahams:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:16

Postby mountain thyme » Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:03 pm

rockhopper wrote:Nice one, MT - very useful, must keep this in mind for a bike trip :thumbup: Bit of a shock though when you got back to your bike :shock: - cheers :)

Cheers RH. Shock was an under statement :shock:

Johnny Corbett wrote:You forgot to mention as well as scoffing your sisters sandwiches, you also scoffed that Deer before you cycled out. :shock:

Venison burgers all week :)

thebaldfalcon wrote:
mountain thyme wrote: , well done T maybe the dear died laughing at u on bIKE

lasttothepost.jpg
and in last place

The Rodmiester wrote:Hi mountain thyme a couple of nice wee Corbetts these, Biking!!! A purist like you? Anyway what's wrong with the big stepping stones I used at the lodge, but I did miss the bridge you took, but managed over the water ok. Looks like you had a very similar day to me warm and sunny. Two more blue balloons, good on you. I'm heading Glen Coe and Glen Nevis next week, fingers crossed the weather is supposed to be good! :D

Cheers RM. A purist no me :lol: If theres a track, my bikes with me :) Did you continue north from the lodge ? If you follow the track across the river then you come to the final bridge which crosses back across the river. you dont need to cross the river. I did and it was deep in parts. Ive heard its to be nice weather next week. Good luck
mountain thyme
Walker

Postby PeteR » Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:14 pm

I enjoyed these two when I did them earlier this year. It's a good walk in and out for us purists :lol:
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:158
Grahams:89   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:176   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby Jimmy Craghopper » Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:22 am

Nice one Terresa did the smell off your hooters kill that poor beastie. :lol: :lol:
Jimmy Craghopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:40
Grahams:10   
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   

Postby weaselmaster » Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:58 pm

Nice one, MT - have got this pair in my sights along with the 3 at the south of Glen Feshie and wondered about biking in from Dalspindal - pleased to see cycling shouldn't be a problem
weaselmaster
Hill Bagger

Munros:214   Corbetts:44
Grahams:76   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:331   Hewitts:31
Wainwrights:15   Islands:28

Postby gammy leg walker » Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:21 pm

Nice wee TR there MT,not sure this bike thing will catch on tbh.xx :lol: :lol:
gammy leg walker
Mountaineer

Munros:262   Corbetts:7
Grahams:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby mountain thyme » Sat Sep 06, 2014 10:50 pm

PeteR wrote:I enjoyed these two when I did them earlier this year. It's a good walk in and out for us purists :lol:

its a long walk in :( Give me the bike any day Pete :D

Jimmy Craghopper wrote:Nice one Terresa did the smell off your hooters kill that poor beastie. :lol: :lol:

Cheers :lol: :lol:

weaselmaster wrote:Nice one, MT - have got this pair in my sights along with the 3 at the south of Glen Feshie and wondered about biking in from Dalspindal - pleased to see cycling shouldn't be a problem

Cheers WM. Iys a flat cycle for most of the way :D

gammy leg walker wrote:Nice wee TR there MT,not sure this bike thing will catch on <span class="skimlinks-unlinked">tbh.xx</span> :lol: :lol:

Cheers Gammy I heard Beinn Mhanach has a good cycle route into . However i walked that one unlike some folk :lol:
mountain thyme
Walker

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland