walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn na h-Eaglaise circuit

Beinn na h-Eaglaise circuit

Postby GarryH » Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:55 pm

Date walked: 13/04/2010

Distance: 12 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Annat.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

We were staying in Gairloch for a few nights earlier this month and had been looking for a couple of walks, when
I saw a reply by kinley recommending the walk to Loch an Eion in an earlier thread.Looking at the map I wondered
if it was possible to link this walk to the other os marked path at around NG905507 and pm`d kinley for his advice.
No problem was the answer and he also suggested going across higher up Bein na h-Eaglaise but on the day we
stayed lower down.

We parked in a small lay-by and were given a real ear bashing by about half a dozen oystercatchers as we put our
boots on, there was also a lone shelduck which was nice to see.

DSC02539.JPG
From the lay-by

The path starts about a 100m west of the telephone box it`s a very gradual climb on an excellent path with great
views in the April sunshine.

DSC02545.JPG
On the way

DSC02550.JPG
Glen Torridon

DSC02570.JPG
Liathach

Even though the road is never more than a few miles away we did feel quite remote at times as we walked over some
stepping stones and past the lochans.

DSC02576.JPG
Steady

DSC02583.JPG
Remote?

We eventualy reached Loch Eion and began to track across the now pathless link to Drochaid Coire Roill.

DSC02586.JPG
Leaving Loch Eion

DSC02587.JPG
The pathless way ahead

We made slow progress avoiding the rocks, pools and potholes but eventualy linked up with the return path and some
more great views.

DSC02592.JPG
Beinn Damph

DSC02595.JPG
Maol Chean Dearg

Down hill all the way now with some fine Scots pine a pleasant site after the treeless outward route.

DSC02609.JPG
Great View

As you reach the Allt the path doubles back to an easier place to cross so be aware of this if you walk this path.

DSC02622.JPG
Crossing the Allt

The path is now quite steep as it heads through the woods down to the road.But it is a great scenic walk.

DSC02629.JPG
Heading for the road.
GarryH

Re: Beinn na h-Eaglaise circuit

Postby kinley » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:03 pm

That path from Annat to Loch an Eoin is a favourite of mine 8)

Glad you managed the loop - looks a reasonable day :D
kinley

Postby LeithySuburbs » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:31 pm

Torridon truly is a wonderful part of the world and even better when the sun is out 8) . Liathath takes my breath away every time. Luuuuuurrrrrrrrrrve the Maol Chean Dearg photo.
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Postby Alastair S » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:45 pm

LeithySuburbs wrote:Torridon truly is a wonderful part of the world

Seconded :D

I'm up that way in 3 weeks time as part of a geology for non-geologist work beany - won't be time to wander off on my own but just hope I get some decent weather.
Alastair S
Hill Bagger

Munros:78   Corbetts:13
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:13   
Islands:22

Postby GarryH » Sun May 02, 2010 5:32 pm

kinley wrote:Glad you managed the loop - looks a reasonable day :

It was a great day thanks again for your advice.
LeithySuburbs wrote:Luuuuuurrrrrrrrrrve the Maol Chean Dearg photo.

Cheers Leithy, it was taken the same way as DSC 02570 holding the camera as close to the ground/water as possible.
A tip from WH member canisp in one of his reports :thumbup:
GarryH

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland