Read other users walk reports for the long distance trails - and add your own.

NB. This board is for reports on multi-day long distance routes - reports on simply long walks should be added to the standard boards.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

WHW 3 DAYS BOOM + Glasgow central to Milngavie

WHW 3 DAYS BOOM + Glasgow central to Milngavie

Postby Wok de dog » Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:21 pm

Route description: West Highland Way

Date walked: 30/08/2014

Time taken: 4 days

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This is not a "How to guide" but a short description of the days and some answers to the questions I couldn't get answered before I left.

FRIDAY NIGHT: Glagow central station to Milngavie, What was I thinking? I was prepared the night before so I just had to finish work, eat dinner, pat the dog's and kiss the current Mrs De Dog good-bye. I arrived at central station about 19:30 and I was off. It got dark as I was leaving the Kelvinside and by Maryhill I had my head-torch on. I tell you something, Kelvingrove park is a scary place at night! Full of random fella's wandering about. It was particularly frightful going under the bridge's. As I left that part and headed into scrub near a horse riding place for the disabled I relaxed. What followed was overgrown brambles and multiple stumbles as I staggered to Milngavie. Probably a great walk during daylight but not recommended by torch-light.
I set up my tarp, bivvy and sleeping bag on the football pitch between the rabbits. I dad not want to start the WHW yet so I slept till four a.m. Before packing up, terrified that the groundskeeper would mow me over whilst cutting the grass.

SATURDAY : Milngavie 04:30 and I am off. Still dark but my Alpkit Gamma head-torch really was the star product of the trip. I met two other solo adventurers who were cycling at this time. Lots of times on my route I would have done anything for a bicycle. The route was quite obvious. I walked and walked and walked. That afternoon I came up to the conic hill. Quite strenuous when you are carrying your stuff with you. I needed a lie down for ten minutes half way down the other side. I stopped at the oak tree inn about 11:30 but they were only serving breakfasts.boiled egg and toast was well received but toast was cold! Onwards and onwards, the route was up and down like a brides nighty. I found it taxing to rowardennan. My plan was to get by rowardennan but I couldn't , I was struggling 26 miles in and set my tarp/bivvy on the shore under a bank. What I learned here was to put your boots upside down at night as I tipped an inch of water out in the morning.

SUNDAY: 05:30 I was behind schedule by 6 miles. After rowardennan it was tough, very rooty and again, up and down like a brides nighty. Lunch at Beinnghlas farm, grand. Kitchen opens at 12, I had ten minutes to wait. Then on till halfway between Tyndrum and Bridge of Orchy. This was my favourite spot, that big Munro ( Dorian?) is spectacular. Bringing me to an observation. I took maybe 3 pictures the whole trip, the scenery and memories are in my head.

MONDAY: 01:00 I could not sleep, Thoughts of getting home to the current Mrs De Dog, every lamb looked like my wee dog, every sheep looked like my big dog. I had a family who loved me at home and missed them. 01:00 Time to break camp, thank goodness because the rain came on in half an hour and there is not much worse than breaking camp in rain. This was a hellish idea but required if I was to walk 38 blooming miles carrying a heavy back pack, I made it to BoO no worries but half way up the mountain track I was struggling. I ended up collapsing under an upturned tree and dozing for a half hour. This was a pattern every 2 hours for the next day. Walking and resting. How I made it to Kinlochleven I do not know, the devils staircase wasn't to,tough but from kin loch to fort William was torture. Mountain roads really go for me and when I hit the road,,, Fort William was still miles away. 19:30 I had missed my train so bivvied down between Brewer's Fare and McDonalds.

I had too much gear, I never used one 3in1 north face jacket or Rab body warmer. I never needed 3 spare pairs of socks or two pairs of jocks or 3 T's or a fleece jumper. I carried to many banana's and Jaffa cakes, I could have done with more batteries for GPS.I never needed roll mat but a ground sheet would be handy. A smaller in size sleep bag would be handy.

All I would take in retrospect:
Montane 70l pack
Low volume sleep bag
Alp kit bivvy
Tarp and pegs
Ground sheet
Hat gloves and balaclava
Toothbrush and paste
Toilet roll and trowel
Shower gel
Batteries, 9aa and 9 aaa
Phone, off

Walking trousers, tight wicking T and long sleeved craghoppers, walking boots, 2 pair walking socks
Waterproofs, walking poles
Jocks, crocodile hat.
User avatar
Wok de dog
Mountain Walker
Posts: 64
Munros:200   Corbetts:8
Fionas:3   Donalds:16
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:1
Joined: Dec 8, 2013
Location: Prestwick

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

Your generosity keeps this site running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Long Distance routes

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests