walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

ARROCHAR WEATHER STRIKES AGAIN

ARROCHAR WEATHER STRIKES AGAIN

Postby lairdoharray » Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:19 am

Route description: Ben Vane, from Inveruglas

Munros included on this walk: Ben Vane

Date walked: 04/09/2014

Time taken: 3 hours

Distance: 5 km

Ascent: 900m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

That's all the Arrochar Alp Munros done now and every one has been in dodgy weather! Add the Cobbler for good measure. Hard work today. Plan A had been to do the Cairnwell 3, which would have been less climbing, but my pal was worried about fog up there. Hah! We saw virtually nothing up and down Ben Vane until 80% down the hil, the sun turned up at last. Gah! Oh well, it was good exercise and I enjoyed the scrambling. Despite being billed as steep, it was not too bad and the path was surprisingly clear. I would like to go back some time and see if, like Beinn Narnain, it is second time lucky for views. I'm all cleaned up now (slipped in a boggy bit near the bottom) and feeling good. Praise God for another good day.

(Had a near thing with the the loos at the car park when we arrived back at 16.40. Supposed to be open till 17.00, the guy closed up at 16.45 (no bog paper left) and a bus load of German tourists arrived. He relented and let them in. Jolly right: if we are to be serious about tourism, we need to provide a service.)
lairdoharray
Mountain Walker

Munros:105   Corbetts:14
Fionas:6   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:14   

Re: ARROCHAR WEATHER STRIKES AGAIN

Postby grumpy old bagger » Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:35 pm

A much wiser person than me once told me to never shy away from a hill just because the weather's a bit dodgy - it's all valuable experience, and as you say, good exercise... !

And what's the alternative, anyway? Stare at the telly? Clean the loo? Bring it on! :wink:

By the way, couldn't agree more about how we treat tourists. I know money's tight, but public toilets are being closed all over the country - or if they are open, they cost an arm and a leg to use!
grumpy old bagger
Hill Bagger

Munros:21   Corbetts:9
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:8   
Wainwrights:1   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland