walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Tomtain

Tomtain

Postby BoyVertiginous » Sat Sep 06, 2014 12:38 am

Date walked: 22/04/2012

Time taken: 1.5 hours

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Tomtain Sun-22-Apr-2012
Way behind on TR’s so, first of a few short and sweet ones to catch up.
Having put together a (not so) short report for this one previously and inexplicably deleting it by accident just prior to submitting it, it’s taken some time to get over the trauma and do it over!
I recall going into that weekend with that agitated feeling of having to get out no matter what. I’d initially planned to take a wander up Meikle Bin on the Saturday but, my plans were scuppered - cannot remember why now, and decided to take the kids up Tomtain on the Sunday afternoon instead.
Opting not to tell them in advance, in light of the fact they’d both be fresh from swim training and protests were inevitable, I loaded the car with their gear and packed a few goodies to soften the blow.
On the road up through Dunipace, Denny, Stoneywood, Fankerton and Carronbridge, I bored the kids senseless with tales of my childhood. I’ll spare you the same fate but, it was a bittersweet moment passing the recently demolished site of the former paper mill where I’d once worked for, what I now appreciate as, thirteen happy years (and my father for 48 before me).
We carried on up the road, all the while pointing out old swimming and fishing haunts while they looked at me…blankly. Turning left immediately after Carronbridge Hotel, on to the Tak Me Doon Road and up past the holiday sheds and the reservoir, to the viewing point just over the brow of the hill, on the opposite side of the road from Tomtain.
The weather was cool, bright and breezy but there were one or two showers skirting around, so suited and booted as quickly as we could and on our way as it was almost 4pm. We set off, crossing the road and straight into the field opposite the car park. I’d figured we could cut a bit of time off by doing so but, in hindsight this was a mistake. It was pretty boggy and particularly tussocky which made it difficult for the kids’ wee legs. I don’t think it saved us any time and we’d have been better walking back along the road the few hundred yards to link up with the path. Anyway, we reached the wall running alongside the path and started to make better progress, despite the path being fairly muddy and slippery in places.
As we gained height ever so gently, the views started to open up across the valley and we could see some heavy showers brewing over Earl’s Seat Hill. Marching on, emerging from the plantation, the hill steepens and we encounter a solitary daffodil, which we agreed not to pick (embarrassed to say the kids picked it for their Mum on the way down without my knowledge). A final push and we summit…a mere 45 minutes or so after leaving the car, if memory serves.
After a quick drink, the promised treat, obligatory summit pic and soaking up great views over to Stirling and the Ochils, East out to the Forth (good view of top half of Carron Valley Reservoir but dark skies were gathering out that way), we headed back down. Youngest child was best pleased with this and marched off at a fair old pace, so much so that she disappeared out of sight at one point and after setting off in hot pursuit found her on the last wee section of road heading for the car…about which we had a few words.
Tomtain…cool.
BoyVertiginous
Wanderer

Munros:251   Corbetts:75
Fionas:26   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:49   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:62   Islands:18

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland