walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Knockhill, Largs, North Ayrshire

Knockhill, Largs, North Ayrshire

Postby Brian » Sun May 02, 2010 1:31 am

Route description: Knock Hill circular, Largs

Date walked: 02/05/2010

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 13 km

Ascent: 268m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Started the route at the Brisbane Glen Cemetry in Largs just before the single track road. Walk from there about 500 yards to where there is a farm track leading to Brisbane Mains Farm. Take the track and walk uphill past the main farmhouse, mind the big dog, looks like it wants to eat you but it chose to greet me instead, phew.

After the farmhouse, the climb only got slightly steep, a rather gentle climb that is good for beginners and the experienced walker alike. I like this route as a training route for building stamina before I take on a longer walk, I will do this one, two or three times in a week in preparation.

Back to the route. After the Farmhouse, walking uphill using the track that was used by horse and carriage many years ago for the great and the good ladies to go for a picnic while the menfolk were off hunting in the glen below. Keep to the left path when the track meets with other tracks and you will find the climb relatively easy.

I took my time on this one today and had a chat with one or two other folks along the way and took 4 hours in total, though I could have done this in around 3 hours without pushing myself too hard. The views....hang on, I will start that again!

The panoramic views from the top of Knockhill are amongst the best the North of Ayrshire has to offer and indeed the West Coast for that matter. Today there was a slight breeze, but I was all the more thankful for it as the walk certainly gets the temperature rising.

WOuld I recommend this walk to anyone else? No! Stay away, I want it all to myself. Oh go on then, you will love it too.

Brian :D

Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Brian
Munro compleatist

Sub 2000:1   

Re: Knockhill, Largs, North Ayrshire

Postby mountain coward » Sun May 02, 2010 9:33 am

At first I meant Knockhill near the M74 where they do some kind of motor racing :D I've been up to Loch Tom? from Largs - that was nice...
mountain coward

Postby Freewheelin » Sun May 02, 2010 11:17 pm

mountain coward wrote:At first I meant Knockhill near the M74 where they do some kind of motor racing :D

have they moved Knockhill a wee bit south west?
:lol:
Freewheelin

Munros:184   Corbetts:32
Fionas:7   Donalds:21

Postby PhilTurner » Mon May 10, 2010 1:24 pm

Glad you enjoyed the walk Brian, as well as having spectacular views the summit can have some quite impressive winds! The circular walk is nice if you want a change from 'there and back', the minor road past Knock Castle is really quiet and offers some sustained sea views.

Phil
PhilTurner

Munros:42   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:26   

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland