walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Meall Ghaordaidh

Meall Ghaordaidh

Postby tommyatr » Sun Sep 07, 2014 7:13 pm

Munros included on this walk: Meall Ghaordaidh

Date walked: 07/09/2014

Time taken: 3.1 hours

Distance: 9 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

well thought I would post my first walk report seen as I have been lurking for long enough :roll:

I hadn't been out proper hill walking for roughly 4 months due to childcare amongst other things but fitness has lapsed and now kids back at school no excuses.

altho going to snowfactor and trying out the ice climbing wall maybe was a bad idea,my body was screaming at me this morning when I got up and set off before 6.

parked up just after bridge at glen Lochay,only one here and set off for 8am.

sun poking up on the start off path

looking up at the top,clouds building up now

looking back

old shielings

local resident on the way up

looking back down glen Lochay

and up

another resident

on the summit,christ what a shock,was calm and nice all the way up but as soon as I hit the summit it was blowing a gale and fekin freezing

was glad of the shelter I tell you,still had to put jacket and gloves on

jacket still on for a total of 5 mins then back off again once cleared

back at the bottom and as always look back up to a clear summit

sods law ehh,but suppose that's what comes of early starts,sun doesn't burn off cloud and mist till later on but I don't like starting late,prefer to be up and out early,its a good feeling coming back down and looking at the agonised faces trudging up as im all smiles heading down.
tommyatr
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:24
Fionas:25   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:10   

Re: Meall Ghaordaidh

Postby SecretSquirrel » Sun Sep 07, 2014 7:24 pm

tommyatr wrote:sods law ehh,but suppose that's what comes of early starts,sun doesn't burn off cloud and mist till later on but I don't like starting late,prefer to be up and out early,its a good feeling coming back down and looking at the agonised faces trudging up as im all smiles heading down.

Good to see a report on MG, its a very underrated hill, the views from the top are stunning.

Now that you mention passing those still heading up ... I guess I usually have mixed feelings, glad to be heading back and the burn in legs will be over and a cold ale will soon be mine ... but at the same time a little jealous that others are heading to the hills while I'm going back to civilisation :?
SecretSquirrel
Mountain Walker

Munros:124   Corbetts:26
Fionas:24   Donalds:76
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:1

Postby Fife Flyer » Sun Sep 07, 2014 7:32 pm

Nice one Tommy, good to see you posting :lol: :lol:

The photo's are a bit on the wee side, are you able to enlarge them? Don't want to hunt for a magnifying glass :lol: :lol:

Funnily enough we were punished yesterday for starting early, had we started later we would have had views and not got soaked :lol:
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:130   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Postby jepsonscotland » Sun Sep 07, 2014 7:40 pm

Nice one Tommy. :wink:
I agree with others MG is a great view.
I had exactly the same weather as you, when I did it a couple of weeks ago.
Lovely on the way up, but on the summit, exposed in the wind it was ''######'' freezing. :shock:
Chris
jepsonscotland
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:9
Fionas:1   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   

Postby tommyatr » Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:18 pm

Was a little disappointed i didn't get the views at the top but hey ho always another time.

Think i will do it from glen lyon next time tho . whenever that may be.

Sorry about size Martin. Photo bucket. May need to investigate settings for next one.

Now enjoying a cool beer and relaxing waiting on kids going to bed.
tommyatr
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:24
Fionas:25   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:10   

Postby Silverhill » Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:25 pm

Well done for getting out in the hills again! Shame you didn’t get the views, but at least your pictures from below the clag are nice. Some impressive clouds building up! 8)
Silverhill

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:7   Donalds:42
Sub 2000:28   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland