walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

An Cabar between the showers

An Cabar between the showers

Postby malky_c » Sun Sep 07, 2014 7:36 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: An Cabar

Date walked: 07/09/2014

Time taken: 3.75 hours

Distance: 14.5 km

Ascent: 720m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Sub 2000 Marilyns: An Cabar.
Date: 07/09/2014.
Distance: 14.5km
Ascent: 720m
Time taken: 3 housr, 45 minutes.
Weather: Heavy showers with sunny spells.

I had the whole day to go walking, but the rubbish weather meant I had a lie-in instead. There looked like a few weather breaks to the east, so I eventually got moving in the direction of Loch Luichart, arriving at Grudie Bridge shortly after 4pm. An Cabar was the plan, also including Meall a' Chuilinn and Carn na Beiste. I remember a friend telling me about a surge shaft for the hydro scheme up on the ridge above Grudie Bridge. He reckoned it was almost possible to fall in. A full map of the hydro network in this area can be found here.

An Cabar.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

I made a last minute change of plan and decided to do the route clockwise instead. There's a gate through deer fence just to the west of the power station, and you can follow a vehicle track up next to the main pipeline.

River Bran:

Loch Luichart and the pipeline down to the power station:

Loch Luichart:

Once the pipe disappears underground, it is a short scrabble to the edge of the trees. I climbed over a deer fence here out onto the open moorland. After the battering rain on the way over, the weather was playing ball nicely for the moment.

I was soon at the surge shaft. There is no way you could fall in it as it has a 2m high wall around, but there are no fences or anything. I couldn't see down it, but judging by the position of the pipe I had followed up, it must be at least 50m deep.

Surge shaft on Meall a’ Chuilinn:

Beyond was a pleasant ridge walk above Strathbran. It then got a little wetter underfoot, before contouring up the south flank of Meallan Buidhe.

Carn na Beiste with An Coileachan behind:

A832 east:

…with cloud over Ben Wyvis:

Loch a’ Chuilinn, Loch Achanalt and Fionn Bheinn:

Sgurr a’ Mhuilinn and Sgurr a’ Choire-rainich:

Carn na Beiste, Beinn Dearg and Beinn Liath Mhor a’ Ghiubhais Li:

The rain came on again as I picked my way through peat hags towards the summit of An Cabar.

West down Strathbran:

A final steepening through crags and I was on the summit just in time for some nice sunlight on An Coileachan. There were also great views down Loch Fannaich towards Beinn nan Ramh. The rain was on and off fairly regularly at this point, making for good photos but less fun for sitting down.

An Coileachan from An Cabar:

Loch Fannaich, Beinn nan Ramh:

Fannaich dam:

West from the summit:

Down the loch again:

Weather can’t make its mind up:

Showers coming in over An Coileachan:

Then a brief retrace of steps before splitting off NE to take in Carn na Beiste. This hill looks particularly fine from the estate road up Glen Grudie. Views from the summit were good as well, as it has a very sudden drop-off east into the glen. It is probably the best place to look at Garbh Choire Mor as well, although the sunlight was no longer on it.

Summit of Carn na Beiste:

Looking up Strah Chrombuill:

Garbh Choire Mor of An Coileachan:

Loch Luichart from Carn na Beiste:

…with Inverness beyond:

The most sensible way off would probably have been south towards Loch na Beiste but the estate road looked temptingly close, so I dropped straight down the east face, dodging a few crags on the way. There was more rain as I walked back down the tarmac to Grudie Bridge, but it wasn't heavy, and the walking was pleasant. I saw my only deer of the walk in the final mile back to the main road.

Carn na Beiste:

Looking back up to the surge shaft on Meall a’ Chuilinn:

It was starting to get dark as I approached the car. It had been another good walk. Strathbran is east of all the best scenery in Torridon and Strathcarron, but I've always had enjoyable walks in the area, especially on the lower hills.
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Re: An Cabar between the showers

Postby BlackPanther » Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:44 am

Interesting one. Close to home, too. I have to add it to my "quickies in the neighbourhood" list :lol: :lol:
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:76   

Postby AnnieMacD » Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:07 pm

Looks like a great wee hill. I may do it in the winter - was it quite easy to get through the bracken etc to the hillside?
AnnieMacD
Mountaineer

Munros:25   Corbetts:15
Fionas:13   
Sub 2000:8   

Postby rockhopper » Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:20 pm

Looks a great viewpoint, malky - changeable weather's provided some moody sky shots. Great to be able to start so late - 4pm start isn't really an option for us down here :roll: - cheers :)
rockhopper

Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Fast show.

Postby Norman_Grieve » Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:26 pm

Guid tae see anither TR for this hill at lang last, it being nearly twa years since YT posted the last. I see you beat my time by 15 mins, despite the fact that I rode up & doon the tarmac road in Glen Grudie! :shock:

I guess by the time of the next TR for AC, we will hae been using the Smackeroonie Poond Stirling for some time... :roll:

Reckon your photies show what all yon fair weather walkers hae bin missing.

P.S. Mebbe Scots-Doric will aussi be oor official lingo? :wink:
Norman_Grieve

Postby litljortindan » Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:30 pm

The showers and sunbeams have given you some good pictures there.
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:156   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Postby malky_c » Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:24 am

Thanks everyone :) . I seem to have reached a point where I've run out comments to write (on my reports or others). Still reading and enjoying though.

AnnieMacD wrote:was it quite easy to get through the bracken etc to the hillside?

No bracken at all on my route, but a high deer fence to climb. There may be some bracken if you try to avoid the deer fence and go round the outside of the woods at the start.

BlackPanther wrote:Interesting one. Close to home, too. I have to add it to my "quickies in the neighbourhood" list :lol: :lol:

Even closer for you than it is for me :) . Carn Faire nan Con And Sgurr Marcasaidh also come highly recommended in the same area.

Norman_Grieve wrote: I guess by the time of the next TR for AC, we will hae been using the Smackeroonie Poond Stirling for some time...

I thought so too, but we've been spared that (unless you are thinking 50+ years until the next one!)
malky_c

Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland