walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A couple of Rannoch sub 2000

A couple of Rannoch sub 2000

Postby rob munbett » Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:39 am

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Glas Bheinn, Meall Mor (Rannoch Moor)

Date walked: 05/09/2014

Time taken: 2 hours

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I was driving up to stay at the Corran bunkhouse for the weekend with friends and decided that a wee leg-stretcher on the Friday afternoon to break the journey up would be a good idea. I'd always fancied a walk up these two but never bothered to stop. Strangely, Meall Mor was in cloud when I arrived but Glas Bheinn was clear, so that would be first. I parked in the long lay-by on the east side of the A82 and from here there was path to a gate by the corner of the deer fence, This was open (there was style anyway) and there was a boggy vehicle track across the rough ground which made the going a bit easier.
P1020399.JPG
Looking along the deer fence to the ridge
Soon I was approaching a bright green grassy slope which led up to the broad undulating summit ridge where the walking was much better.
P1020401.JPG
Walking along the broad ridge to the summit
After a few minor ups-and-downs the cairn came into view and it was time for a sit for a cup of tea and to enjoy the views over the expanse of the moor.
P1020403.JPG
The summit cairn and the Black Mount
It was simple just to descend by the route of ascent and look back to the length of the hill.
Glas Bheinn pan.JPG
A pan of Glas Bheinn
After a brief visit to the car for a snack I walked back along the road to begin the walk up Meall Mor. There was a track up to the mast and the beginnings of a path from that point.
P1020413.JPG
Looking up Meall Mor from the mast
However, this path soon disappeared in very long wet grass, bracken and heather but the ascent was still straightforward enough by seeking out the best ground. I was plagued by a swarm of strange large black flies, though, which got everywhere and had to be scraped off when swatted - they were like huge ticks - later one of my friends suggested that they were birch-flies. All I know is that they tormented me all the way to the summit and all the way back down! I did, though, manage a brief stop for a photo of the hill and climbed earlier.
P1020415.JPG
Looking back across the A82 to Glas Bheinn
I had hoped for a sit at the top to take in the dramatic views of the Black Mount but, because of the pesky flies, it was the case of few pics and a hurried retreat.
P1020421.JPG
The summit cairn and the Black Mount
Black Mount Pan.JPG
A pan shot of the Black Mount
Great views for not much effort!
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

rob munbett
Hill Bagger

Munros:257   Corbetts:133
Grahams:68   Donalds:52
Sub 2000:91   Hewitts:31
Wainwrights:40   

Re: A couple of Rannoch sub 2000

Postby Sarah86 » Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:42 am

These two are lovely little hills that offer wonderful views all round. A pity about the flies, it is impossible to sit and enjoy the views when they are out in force.
Sarah86
Mountaineer

Munros:13   Corbetts:3
Grahams:1   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:20   

Re: A couple of Rannoch sub 2000

Postby Silverhill » Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:07 pm

A nice wee leg stretcher! Great to see the Black Mount from that angle! 8)
Silverhill

Munros:282   Corbetts:9
Grahams:5   Donalds:19
Sub 2000:9   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland