walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Chonzie via Glen Turret

Ben Chonzie via Glen Turret

Postby MiniRambo » Sun May 02, 2010 10:00 pm

Munros included on this walk: Ben Chonzie

Date walked: 01/05/2010

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 16.6 km

Ascent: 951m

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Left Cumbria at 7.00am on Saturday morning and headed for Crieff. Left the main road and took the single track road up Glen Turret to the car park at the Loch Turret Reservoir where there is ample parking. Booted up and began our walk at 10.20am. Accompanied by Malcolm, Peter and John. :D

100_4568.JPG
Booting up.

100_4570.JPG
Heading towards the dam

The track along the east side of Loch Turret makes for good walking and takes you 6km aprox. up the valley just passed Lochan Uaine. Views over to the otherside of the side of the glen were good with a clear ridge line in view, however Ben Chonzie itself remained in cloud.

100_4572.JPG
View across Loch Turret towards BC

100_4573.JPG
Making steady progress!

100_4576.JPG
Best view we had of BC

At this point, instead of climbing directly up to the small bealach we decided to head in a more northerly direction and join the end of the east ridge. We then climbed steeply to the cairn on the minor top before heading down the bealach.

100_4579.JPG
Climbing towards the east ridge

We had limited views to the east and the north.

100_4584.JPG
Looking east from the ridge

100_4588.JPG
Looking north

From the bealach the path was distinct, which together with the line of fence posts provided comfort as we entered the cloud. Although the temperature had remained comfortable for walking, within about 50m of the summit the temperature dropped and it began to snow.

100_4591.JPG
Passed the bealach, looking eastwards

At the summit (1.30pm ish) we donned coats, took the obligatory summit shots (without any views!) and then headed straight on, aiming to get out of the worst of the weather before we would have some food. :D

100_4592.JPG
Ben Chonzie summit, in the snow!

100_4593.JPG
Its cooled down a little

We found the next line of fence posts heading south and followed these through peaty ground until we dropped out of the clag and found a place to eat at the low point before the slight rise to Meall na Seide. Having eaten and then ready to move on, John got severe cramp on his inner thigh. He managed to walk it off and consoled himself with the thought of a masage when he got home!! :shock: :oops: We had probably taken too long to eat and should have stopped before reaching the summit of BC.

100_4597.JPG
Looking back to Meall na Seide

It was over Meall na Seide and then up to Carn Chois, a nice little peak with trig point and views down to Crieff, Comrie and west to Ben Vorlich. Although it had cleared to some extent, the light didn't make for good photos.

100_4596.JPG
Onwards and upwards to Carn Chois

100_4603.JPG
Peter posing at Carn Chois trig point

Shortly after leaving CC we came across a group of students and helped them with a 'team photo', and not long after this made the descent down the col between CC and Beinn Liath.

100_4606.JPG
The way down

Another farm track leads back to the dam wall and then back to the car at 5.00pm.

100_4609.JPG
From the dam wall

I know some hill walking books call this a dull mountain, however I must say the route we took provided for a good day out and if the weather had been a little better, I'm sure views would have been good to the other mountain ranges. :D
Last edited by MiniRambo on Sun May 26, 2013 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MiniRambo
Mountain Walker

Munros:52   Corbetts:1
Hewitts:118
Wainwrights:214   

Re: Ben Chonzie via Glen Turret

Postby tilley hemp th5 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:08 pm

hi, this is the best route for Ben Chonzie by far..... the Glen Lednock route is the reason people think this is not a very interesting Munro. did this route on 5th august 2010..weather was good and great views all around. took exactly 6 hours but spent a lot of time taking photos from the edges of the return route.will post the pics when i work out how to upload to the site !!
thanks for the report and the detailed map.
tilley hemp th5
Mountaineer

Munros:51   

Postby MG1976 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:41 pm

Nice Report, and some good pictures. :thumbup:

I climbed Chonzie back in June and had a great time. It was anything but dull or boring.
I also climbed from the Glen Turret side, although my own route was slightly different to the one you took.

Having only climbed this hill from one side, I can't say which of the two options (Turret / Lednock) offers a more interesting day out. I read a few reports about Chonzie before deciding which side I was going to tackle it from.

All I can say is this:-
The majority of the reports covering the Glen Lednock route were shorter and had fewer pictures.
The majority of the reports covering the Glen Turret route were longer, had more of a story, and many more pictures.

That's what swung it for me.

Another nicely detailed report, bucking Chonzies "boring" reputation.
Martin :D
MG1976
Mountain Walker

Corbetts:5
Sub 2000:1   

Postby Lara Simpson » Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:47 pm

Your report inspired me to give this a go yesterday - so thank you. I had brilliant sunshine all day as was above the clouds and loved every minute of it, it's a great route (I missed out the first hill you did and went straight up the bealach then along the ridge to the summit of Ben Chonzie). There are quite a few really boggy bits, so waterproof boots and gators a must I'd say. Really loved it. I got some great photo's as started walking at sunrise and it was a lovely day.
Lara Simpson
Mountain Walker

Munros:6   
Fionas:1   Donalds:1

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland