Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Grey Corries just 1

The Grey Corries just 1

Postby ngm1scot » Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:37 pm

Munros included on this walk: Sgurr Choinnich Mor

Date walked: 20/06/2015

Time taken: 10.25 hours

Distance: 17.7 km

Ascent: 1268m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

So this is the first part of the walk as planned - from the car park to what could be a dry stane dyke or fence line just below Sgurr Choinnich Beag, which is the first night "camp site"

Next day (Saturday) is the main part of the trip - 4 munros and a very long walk back to the car

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Needless to say things didn't go entirely as planned, although I have to thank [socialhiking]mountainlove[/socialhiking] for her inspired route nonetheless as she gave me the idea for doing the Grey Corries from this end.

Friday was a work day and as the "boss" you would think it easy to get away early. Wrong entirely. By the time I had got out of the office, got dog food and diesel, finally packed by backpack and made my sandwich for Saturday and dropped off my grandson, it was 5pm. Getting to Loch Lomond was easy enough but once past Tarbet the problems started - holiday travellers going at 30, admiring the views. I agree they are beautiful but I have to get to Fort William by 7pm.

After Inverarnan I managed to overtake the problem vehicles ahead of me and things went a bit better but I realised by then that a 7pm set off from the car park in Glen Nevis was now impossible! I didn't get to my start point till about 7.30 and was away by 5 to 8, already tired but ready for my walk. The first part through the gorge felt really difficult and technical - it isn't but it felt that way after a long hard week at work! The low cloud (and consequentially the wet rocks and steps did nothing to help me on my way quickly. The humidity was intense, almost like walking in a rainforest [I've never walked in a rainforest but that was how I imagined it would feel].

Soon though the breadth of the Glen presented itself and it was incredible to see the Steall falls. I thought I couldn't be impressed any more but it did impress me.

On the path it was a pleasant walk underfoot but the humidity was intense with little in the way of views to compensate. I had already determined my campsite location (by the fenceline/ dry stane dyke) and was heading towards it. There were a few other wildcampers in the Glen: one had already got a good space inside the Steall ruins and a few more had camped by the river and were having a jolly time.

However it was now almost 9.30 and I ought to have been at my destination by now based on our good friend Mr Naismith - even allowing for my slightly slower walking speed. Using the shape of the river as a guide, I reckoned I was still some distance [on the map] away from my fenceline and decided to call it a day and headed down across the grassy slopes to the river where the ground looked flatter.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

I found a nice non-boggy spot and quickly dragged ny tent from the backpack. And within minutes I was black with midges. It was the quickest tent putting up exercise ever and I threw everything inside the tent and battened down the hatches as it were. So now I had Dinner to consider: not for me sitting outside watching my dinner heat, beside the cooling stream; instead I assembled the ingredients inside the tent (I'd brought a bag of African Stew and rice with me to reheat), grabbed my stove and headed down to the edge of the river literally next to the water where I regularly doused my head and arms in the refreshingly cold water to clear away the midges. The food cooked quickly and once ready, switched off the gas and ran with everything back to the tent.

As I lay sprawled on my bed roll Roman Senator style, I noticed that a few midges had escaped into the tent with me but they seemed harmless simply crawling up and down the white tent liner. By 10.30 I was ready for bed and got into my sleeping bag and settled down for a good nights sleep.

In the morning (5am) I was up and hoping to avoid the midges but it was not to be - they were already circling and waiting for blood. Porridge made and eaten I then had to work out how to (a) get to the "toilet" (b) get me washed and my dishes (c) get the tent etc packed up. Who said wild camping was easy? Eventually I decided to head to the river still in my PJ's but with my boots on (what a sight that must have been) and once ablutions were completed, get packed as best I could then cover every piece of flesh in clothing that I could and achieve a world record in tent dismantling. A quick pic before the dismantling started:
DSCN2082 (700x525).jpg

There are two paths from Steall to the base of Sgurr Choinnich. As I was packing up I realised I had been camping on the lower of the two paths and so decided to carry on along that path as it joined up later on anyway. After an hour(!) I arrived at the famous "fenceline" to discover this:
The "fenceline"

So glad I camped when I did. Soon after (about 0820) I headed up on to the hill when I spotted the start of the "ravine"
DSCN2087 (700x525).jpg
The ravine was an interesting spot and was to become much more interesting on the way back down!
DSCN2094 (700x525).jpg
The next - and bigger - ravine
I became a point of interest for some of the locals on the way up
DSCN2096 (700x525).jpg
DSCN2100 (700x525).jpg
A zoomed pic of the deer watching me - bit blurry
Still a thick layer of snow inside the larger ravine.
DSCN2102 (700x525).jpg
snow in June
Not long after that the cloud began to lift and I got my first clear view of the summit
DSCN2107 (525x700).jpg
The top - still a bit away
: it was turning into a nice day as I got views of the bealach/hanging corrie between Binneins and An Gearanach I think.
DSCN2112 (700x525).jpg
and up the glen towards Corrour
DSCN2108 (700x525).jpg
.Still happy!
DSCN2113 (700x525).jpg
and reached the bealach about 11 but by now I was an hour and a quarter behind schedule. But for the moment that paled into the background as I was met with Choinnich Beag and a good if cloudy view of the back of the Aonachs. It was worth stopping for!
DSCN2118 (525x700).jpg
DSCN2119 (700x525).jpg
DSCN2122 (525x700).jpg
Doesnt sound much but when I worked through my timings back from the fenceline to the car park, I realised that even if everything else today went according to plan, I wouldn't be back at the Car park much before 10.30 and with no mobile signal to let the family know of a change in plans, with regret, I decided to just do one of the grey corries!

So I dumped my pack and sped on up to Sgurr Choinnich Mor took a few pics and headed back down for lunch and then back down the hillside.
DSCN2130 (700x525).jpg

One crazy thing happened on the way back: I got to a couple of deep ravines and really wasn't paying attention to my map (I knew where I was going and I could see all the way to the bottom as the forecast cloud had all but evaporated. Anyhow I ended up in the middle one with nowhere to go except back uphill or take a shortcut down and up the other side. It looked potentially dangerous and the snow that lay at the bottom of it looked pretty solid but I didn't fancy dropping through it to the stream that ran about 10 feet below the snow. So I made my way down (overestimating the width of the path and then waded upstream to get to some grassy bits that gave me more of a chance to get up the almost vertical west side. More by luck perhaps than skill saw me at the top of the other side in about 10 minutes which is about how long it would have taken to safely walk round the top! Never mind, it was fun - if dangerous.....

On the way back I was determined to find where the top path split from the bottom but it proved impossible and so I headed back along beside the river and eventually rejoined the upper path here. You can see how difficult it is to recognise a path junction!
DSCN2139 (700x525).jpg
The lower path junction at Steall

The Glen was cooled by a light breeze although the sun shone and there were periodic light showers but as soon as I entered the "forest" on route back to the car park, the tropical humidity returned and I sweated buckets again. Really weird.

Got back to the car just about 5pm

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

DSCN2137 (700x525).jpg
Start of the forest back to the car park
DSCN2134 (700x525).jpg
Heading back through the glen
DSCN2126 (700x525).jpg
DSCN2092 (700x525).jpg
A happy walker despite the cloud
DSCN2090 (700x525).jpg
Munro compleatist
Posts: 109
Munros:54   Corbetts:2
Grahams:1   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:7   
Joined: Jul 4, 2011

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 59 guests