walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

2 x Kitchen Sinks for the Eastern Fannichs

2 x Kitchen Sinks for the Eastern Fannichs

by Fife Flyer » Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:51 pm

Route description: Sgùrr Mòr and the eastern Fannichs

Munros included on this walk: An Coileachan, Beinn Liath Mhòr Fannaich, Meall Gorm, Sgùrr Mòr

Date walked: 13/09/2014

Time taken: 10 hours

Distance: 24 km

Ascent: 1280m

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: 2 x Kitchen Sinks for the Eastern Fannichs

Postby Fife Flyer » Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:00 pm

kmai1961 wrote:About those horrible keds (was going to post this on in the wildlife forum, but since it's come up here) -- does anyone know whether they're particularly bad this year, and if so, why? Dry(er than usual) summer, maybe? I'd never heard about them until they started getting mentioned on here a few weeks ago.
And will a couple of hard frosts knock them on the head, like our midgie friends?
There was one on me last night -- the day *after* the Fannichs walk (two showers and a hair wash later). I don't know whether I'd picked it up while working out in the garden, or if it had been on me since the walk (ew, ew, eeeeuuuuch!!)

Funny you should mention the Keds Karen I found one on me on Sunday, that after a very, very long shower on Saturday evening. Knocked it off my neck & then stood on it, but it was still moving, so I almost jumped up & down on it, horrible things :lol: :lol:

Gordie12 wrote:Your walking buddies must be so happy to see you walk ahead of them on the climbs then turn round and photograph their pain - what do they say to you???
I was interested in your time for these 4 as I'm thinking about doing them before I run out of daylight hours so would need to be soon I suppose.

My walking colleagues were always too much out of breath to say anything :lol:
It took us an honest 10 hours and we certainly weren't rushing, especially as Chris & Andy wouldn't let us take turns carrying their heavy rucksacks :lol:

tina bonar wrote:We left Montrose at 3 a.m, started walking at 6.30 and were home at a very civilised 6.50 p.m with a touch of sunburn. Keds were out in force in the Mamores and i found a tick after my swim yesterday morning :shock: Oh we do enjoy a good walk :D

3am :shock: :shock: now that is what we call really early :wink: That was my first encounter with Keds and wouldn't be too upset if it was my last :lol: :lol: Yet to meet tics and in no rush either :lol:
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:134   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Re: 2 x Kitchen Sinks for the Eastern Fannichs

Postby PeteR » Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:11 am

Another great report Martin :clap: :D Good hills these. Did them a few years back and much enjoyed my day :D

I was interested to see you all appear to have been attacked by those keds. Those little b**gers absolutely love me :shock: I have been plagued by them all this year. It's actually been so bad to ruin the enjoyment of walking at times :( Crush them with my fingers and I swear they still live.
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:122   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

10 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland