walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

My 3rd time Doing Ben Lomond

My 3rd time Doing Ben Lomond

Postby kevmcmahon1976 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:25 pm

Munros included on this walk: Ben Lomond

Date walked: 18/05/2014

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 12 km

Ascent: 990m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This was my 3rd time doing Ben Lomond. I first bagged it about 4 year ago but this time i was accompanied by my daughter and my nephew. We started at the bottom next to the Rowardennan Hotel in sunshine and headed up the hill. I knew it would take me longer as i knew the hill would be new to my company not having done it before. We trekked up with them both having turns of having a little moan about sore legs and stuff but they trooped on with encouragement from me. What lay in store at the top though even took me by surprise. From the sunshine we left in we suddenly found ourselves in heavy wind and rain and the chill factor was biting cold. I knew we wern't far from the top though so i encouraged them to push themselves just a little more. The finding of snow and a little snow cave gave my daughter in particular a little lift and we posed for some photo's before making what i planned to be a very quick descend. We started a slow jog at a pace i thought suited them but then my worst nightmare kicked in. I'm type 1 Diabetic and suddenly i felt the weakness of a hypo coming on. Stupidly i had come unprepared as it was a last minute decision to go. I was struggling to go on and my daughter and nephew realised this. I was picking up anything wild that i thought would have some carbs or sugar/glucose in it and was literally eating grass and stuff. The maturity then shown by my daughter (11 years old) and nephew (10 years old) was so beyond their years that they didn't even realise just how much they practically saved me. My daughter ran ahead to meet my brother at the bottom who was fishing and get something sugary and my nephew would not leave my side. As a team we made it to the bottom where ive never been so glad to see a bottle of irn-bru and a tube of smarties in my life. This was a novice mistake made in circumstances that should and could have been prevented but it was also a lesson learned and i feel these lesson's help you to make sure they dont happen again. I never had before and never will be unprepared when climbing any hill as this was a lucky escape. To add a little happy ending to a crazy day though a great time was still had and we look back on it as an awesome adventure :)
Attachments
hillpath.jpg
rory.jpg
ben lomond.jpg
summit.jpg
kevmcmahon1976
Walker

Munros:13   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland