walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Great Shunner Fell

Great Shunner Fell

Postby Broggy1 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:14 pm

Hewitts included on this walk: Great Shunner Fell, Lovely Seat

Date walked: 13/09/2014

Time taken: 3.1

Distance: 17.6 km

Ascent: 660m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Finishing work at 1.30 meant that a late start was on the cards on Saturday and so it proved with me only pulling into Hardraw at 2.45pm.

I'd always imagined that I would do these two on a bad weather day for some reason so it was nice to be able to do the entire walk in shorts and t-shirt even if the long distance views were obscured by heavy haze.

There's not a great lot to say about the walk itself. It's a long but very easy (the easiest of all according to Wainwright) gradual walk up the Pennine Way to the summit of Great Shunner Fell. A few boggy bits to negotiate on the way but most of these covered by concrete slabs or by various bypass paths.

PW out of Hardraw.JPG
Pennine way out of Hardraw

Ridge to Great Shunner Fell.JPG
The ridge to Great Shunner Fell in view now

Lovely Seat across the valley.JPG
Lovely Seat across the valley

Typical PW paved path.JPG
Typical Pennine Way slabs help across some of the boggier bits

Summit in view.JPG
Summit in view

At the top there is a great stone built shelter with the Trig Point incorporated into it (I only found this out afterwards) which is a nice touch.

Great Shunner Fell summit.JPG
Great Shunner Fell summit

From here I followed a faint path alongside the fence over Little Shunner Fell and down to the road. This went through a few juicy bits but nothing too demanding with navigation easy enough by simply following the fence.

Follow the fence down.JPG
I followed the fence down to the road between Great Shunner Fell and Lovely Seat

Rogan's Seat.JPG
Rogan's Seat - one still to do for me

From the road I followed the fence again over another wet area before doing a steeper short climb up to Lovely Seat where I was pleasantly surprised to find that the cairn was indeed a 'Lovely Seat'.

Lovely Seat from the road.JPG
Lovely Seat from the road

The Lovely Seat.JPG
Lovely Seat Summit

Back to Great Shunner Fell.JPG
Looking back at Great Shunner Fell

A quick off path descent followed until I reached the road again which i followed all the way back down to the valley before cutting through a well marked and maintained field path back into Hardraw.

Road Walk Back.JPG
Road walk back

A decent afternoon walk - far from taxing due to the easy gradients - but long enough miles wise to give a good stretch of the legs after a busy morning at work.
Broggy1
Mountain Walker

Munros:111   Corbetts:19
Fionas:5   Donalds:20+7
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:274
Wainwrights:214   Islands:1

Re: Great Shunner Fell

Postby mrssanta » Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:04 pm

Great stuff. Many yonks ago I went up Great Shunner Fell with a school group and some of us somersaulted much of the way down through heather with clouds of pollen flying about. it was memorable!
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Re: Great Shunner Fell

Postby simon-b » Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:21 pm

I'm a bit late again, Broggy but that looks another good day. a few years ago some friends and I were on Great Shunner Fell on a navigation course. It was a bit hazy, but it looked like the views towards the Mallerstang fells and north Pennines must be good on a clear day.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland