walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

My Conquering of my lifetime dream Mountain

My Conquering of my lifetime dream Mountain

Postby kevmcmahon1976 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:16 pm

Munros included on this walk: Ben Nevis

Date walked: 11/06/2014

Time taken: 8 hours

Distance: 19 km

Ascent: 1560m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Ben Nevis! What can i say. This had been a dream of mine since the 1st time i'd climbed any hill and one i intended to make a reality at some point in my life. If truth be told if it wasn't due to my stupid partying lifestyle in my 0's i'd like to think i'd have achieved it be fore now. However due to a chance meeting with a good friend and my daighters auntie Jill it may still not have happened. We met in my local tescos and after telling of my planned trip there having fell through she went home and her and her man another good friend, Iain decided they would take me. This made me so happy. The day finally came after days of excitement and anticipation on the 11th of June and off we went. The trip there itself was immense as i took in the awesome scenery all around and i was a little nervous if truth be told of what lay in store. We arrived at the Glen Nevis Car Park and suddenly i realised, WOW this is actually happening. So we set off up the hill and i was entranced from the offset. The 1st person we met was from America and we stopped for a blether and he told me he had turned back due to bad weather near the top. This news was not going to deter me or us though as we had come fully prepared. As we walked up the hill i just kept looking around with amazement at the sheer beauty of the place and the hil itself. We stopped a few times for a photo opportunity and spoke to a few others, i love the opportunity to speak to the friendly and lovely people you always meet doing this type of thing. We zig-zagged up the main route not taking in the CMD and the weather kept changing as you expect in Scotland and this high up. Then we reached the snow and i was totally in my element loving this part so much. When we finally reached the top the feeling i had inside me was such an intense feeling of achievement that i stripped to my boxers and got my photo taken waving my Scotland Flag so so proud of myself and our team. I then walked around checking the many different points of what i didn't know was a huge summit. I shall forever be thankful to Jill Barnes, Iain Robertson and Gillian Buckley for making my dream come true and for looking after me in a new environment and always asking if my sugar levels we're ok and if i was generally fine. My answer was always i feel GREAT. I aim to go back and tackle the other route next year but am going to take in some training so i'm prepared fully for what i know is a much more testing ascent. This was a day i'll never forget and has inspired me to do as many munro's in my lifetime as i can. It also gave me much needed confidence at a point in my life where it had been low for a while. I could write all day abou this adventure but i'll finish by saying, Ben Nevis i love you and your wonder you truly are a spectacle that is imprinted in my mind forever!!!!!!
Attachments
ian.jpg
Ben Nevis summit.jpg
gillian.jpg
jill.jpg
shelter.jpg
kevmcmahon1976
Munro compleatist

Munros:13   

Re: My Conquering of my lifetime dream Mountain

Postby Fife Flyer » Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:25 pm

Well done Kev, glad you enjoyed it :clap: Your enthusiasm certainly came across, I take it you didn't get views on the summit?
Been up 3 times and I have been very lucky & had views every time :lol:
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:151   Corbetts:46
Grahams:35   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:83   Hewitts:2

Postby AnnieMacD » Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:39 pm

Fantastic read and a great achievement! :clap: :clap: Thanks for sharing this - everyone needs to read it when their enthusiasm is flagging :lol:
AnnieMacD
Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:15
Grahams:13   
Sub 2000:8   

Postby kevmcmahon1976 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:19 pm

Thank you both for your kind words i really appreciate them. It was an experience that meant so much and even when i am walking myself i encourage myself to push harder as i know that once your through the pain barrier the strength u can find is remarkable and fife flyer i envy you i never got a view i had a view the other week from Meall nan Tarmachan and i could see Ben Nevis and for miles around and that was awesome would loved to have seen the view from Nevis i will one day though :-) thanx for your feedback :)
kevmcmahon1976
Munro compleatist

Munros:13   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is now advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland