walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Big Bookle, Wee Bookle

Big Bookle, Wee Bookle

Postby RTMcB » Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:34 pm

Munros included on this walk: Stob Coire Raineach (Buachaille Etive Beag), Stob Dearg (Buachaille Etive Mòr), Stob Dubh (Buachaille Etive Beag), Stob na Bròige (Buachaille Etive Mòr)

Date walked: 15/09/2014

Time taken: 7.75 hours

Distance: 20.5 km

Ascent: 2065m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Bookle 14 09 14.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

It had long been a dream of SMRussell and I to do the combined Buachaille Etive Mor and Beag Munro's. Inspired by epic routes such as Monty's and Davetherave's http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=5564 we settled for Rockhopper's slightly more sensible route http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13333!

Slightly overcast with Stob Dearg in the cloud we set off from the higher car park and took a short cut through the bog and straight onto the approach up Coire na Tulaich. I hr and 20 to get to the top, It was busy as Sauciehall St, so we didn't hang about in the clag - nae views to be had! Pretty loose stones getting down from Stob na Doire, not my favourite, but got to Stob na Broige in 1 hr 30 min from first summit.

It was on the way back from this summit where we encountered 4 lads in jeans! First question they asked was, "is there a good way off this mountain?" I said they would have passed the route off on their way here. No, they said, they had come straight up from Glen Etive :shock: Only 1 of them was wearing boots, the rest plimsoles. I suggested they might be safest taking the route down into Glencoe and no doubt someone would give them a lift back to their van. They seemed keen on getting straight back to the van, so we left them to it. There's a fine line between having cahoonas and stupidity/unpreparedness - debate!

Leaving the madness and the crowds behind we headed down Coire Altrium into Lairg Gartain. SMRussell, having set a hardcore pace for our first ridge was grumbling about her knees and not sure she wanted to do the wee bookle but without any encouragement made a bee line for it - hmm, Munro fever. Maybe it was cause she was busting for a pee! Having got to River Coupall we found a good spot to take a whizz. No sooner than I had taken half ma boab oot, but some lady walkers appeared out of nowhere! :shock: It's come as a shock but we had been quite used to remote hills wi naebody aboot recently!

With ma dignity half intact we headed up the remnants of a path leading up to the bealach at 748 on the wee bookle. Refreshingly it was deserted, fantastic views across to Aonach Eagach :clap: A quick jaunt up Stob Coire Raineach and a careful slide back down before visiting Stob Dubh and the views down Loch Etive. Best views were had on the wee bookle. No doubt better on a sunny day, but stunning and dramatic in the light that we had. We retraced our steps and enjoyed the walk back to the car along the excellent path through Lairg Gartain. Dinner at the Kingy as always!
Image14 Sep 2014 A550 by r.t.mcb, on Flickr
Nowhere to go in an avalanche!

Image14 Sep 2014 A550-2 by r.t.mcb, on Flickr
Relief at a sit down.

Image14 Sep 2014 A550-4 by r.t.mcb, on Flickr
Epic Views

Image14 Sep 2014 A550-5 by r.t.mcb, on Flickr
Thanks to the guy who took our photo!

Image14 Sep 2014 A550-7 by r.t.mcb, on Flickr
Route across big bookle ridge

Image14 Sep 2014 A550-8 by r.t.mcb, on Flickr
Across to the wee bookle

Image14 Sep 2014 A550-9 by r.t.mcb, on Flickr
Cloud threating to come down and envelope us

Image14 Sep 2014 A550-11 by r.t.mcb, on Flickr
Loch Etive from Stob na Broige

Image14 Sep 2014 A550-13 by r.t.mcb, on Flickr
Not such a busy summit

Image14 Sep 2014 A550-17 by r.t.mcb, on Flickr
SMRussell and the wee bookle

Image14 Sep 2014 A550-18 by r.t.mcb, on Flickr
AE from bealach on wee bookle

Image14 Sep 2014 A550-19 by r.t.mcb, on Flickr
Path up Stob Coire Raineach, loose stones mostly

Image14 Sep 2014 A550-23 by r.t.mcb, on Flickr
tucking into a pork pie :wink:

Image14 Sep 2014 A550-24 by r.t.mcb, on Flickr
Stob Dubh from SCR

Image14 Sep 2014 A550-25 by r.t.mcb, on Flickr
Towards Bidean nam Bian

Image14 Sep 2014 A550-36 by r.t.mcb, on Flickr
Loch Etive from Stob Dubh

Image14 Sep 2014 A550-39 by r.t.mcb, on Flickr
Last summit

Image14 Sep 2014 A550-40 by r.t.mcb, on Flickr
Dinner

Image14 Sep 2014 A550-41 by r.t.mcb, on Flickr
RTMcB
Munro compleatist

Munros:147   Corbetts:18
Fionas:16   Donalds:25
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:67
Wainwrights:63   

Re: Big Bookle, Wee Bookle

Postby The Rodmiester » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:50 am

Hi RTMcB, like the view along the length of the wee Buachaile, something we never saw under 2weeks ago, cloud base 700m. A distinctive red slabbed rock where the cairn sits at the Bealach, where you tucked into your pork pie. Good effort the two of you :)
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby rockhopper » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:17 pm

Nice one - pity about the clag but at least you got some views. :thumbup: Think if I was walking this route again I might go clockwise like you rather than have to descend down Coire na Tulaich - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Silverhill » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:49 pm

Ah yes, I fancied doing this last year, but was enjoying myself thoroughly on the Big Bookil so never got down to doing the wee one as well. Great trip, well done! The clarity of your pictures is amazing despite the grey day. :D
Silverhill

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:7   Donalds:42
Sub 2000:28   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland