walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Glen Luss sextet

Glen Luss sextet

Postby rockhopper » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:22 pm

Route description: Beinn Dubh - Glen Striddle horseshoe, Luss

Grahams included on this walk: Beinn a'Mhanaich, Beinn Chaorach, Beinn Dubh, Beinn Eich, Cruach an t-Sidhein, Doune Hill

Date walked: 13/09/2014

Time taken: 10.8 hours

Distance: 23 km

Ascent: 2600m

10 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Distance: 23km approx
Ascent: 2,600m approx
Time: 10hrs 50mins (incl stops 2hrs 30mins for photos, food, water etc)
Attendees: me

Had been looking at various options for these hills – one of malkyc’s reports came in very handy in the planning. Fairly early start – drove up the A82 then up Glen Luss and parked at NS331942 on the right hand side of the road just before the turning circle.

Glen Luss 13sep2014 activelog.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Walked over the bridge and a little up the road until reaching a gate on the right. Through the gate and off up the hill towards Mid Hill

It was already quite warm and getting hotter. Hardly a breath of wind.

Sun appearing as I gained height

Inversion in the glen below

Up to Mid Hill then NE to get to the Beinn Dubh summit at Coire na n-Eanachan

Towards Glen Douglas

Looked like the views were all going to be very hazy today.

Set off towards Doune Hill – initially SW

Lots of spiders’ webs coated in dew

Down to the bealach at the head of Glen Mollochan

Initially started off westwards in error before checking direction and changed to NW to head up to Doune Hill

Caterpillar

Another hazy inversion shot

View from the summit trig of Doune Hill

Down to Loch Long

Set off SW towards Cruach an t-Sidhean

Probably the easiest of the day’s ascents

Towards Gleann na Caorainn

Got to the summit

Decision time. Had previously decided that I’d continue toward Beinn a’ Mhanaich if I arrived here by midday. Now about 1100hrs so decided to continue for the six. Set off in a southerly direction.

Hazy view down in the glen

Crossed Luss Water

Beinn Lochain and Beinn Eich

Up to the hazy views at the top of Beinn a’ Mhanaich and over towards Loch Long

Lunch time. There was a little wind here so I went south through the nearby gate and on a wee bit to get a seat on a large rock for lunch just out of the wind.

Back to Beinn a’ Mhanaich

Beinn Chaorach looked quite far away with more descent/ascent to come as I headed south then SE

Followed not far from a fence most of the way up to the summit. Was starting to feel a bit weary by this point.

Hazy Loch Long again

A little be clearer than previously

The final hill, Beinn Eich was looking rather far away and with another big drop and reascent. Was starting to think that may be just too much but headed off downhill to see how I felt at the bottom.

Up Gleann na Chaorainn

Down in the glen I was just about out of drinking water. It had been very hot so far and I must have been drinking a lot more than normal (and sweating buckets into the bargain). However, brown looking algae made the Luss Water rather unappealing from a drinking point of view.

Slight detour as I started up Beinn Eich to find a semi underground burn. Have always used ClO2 drops in the past for water sterilisation but started to get fed up with the taste on my last camping trip. Tried out the sawyer mini filter for the first time today – worked a treat and a lot less hassle than the drops.

Had started off the day fairly tired due to recent lack of sleep and it was taking its toll. Slow going with quite a few stops on the way up the hillside.

Got to the top with more hazy views

Stopped for a wee while before heading off down to Edentaggart – reasonable track for much of the way

Passed the farm to the right then over the fence to the road

Quite a bit of ascent, descent and reascent – these grahams (and corbetts) are turning out to be a lot harder than the munros........................ :shock:

rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:207
Grahams:60   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:19

Re: Glen Luss sextet

Postby weaselmaster » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:59 pm

It looks a good circuit this one, I remember Malky_c posting it recently and thinking I'd save it for a winter's day - but looks a bit too long / ascent challenging for the times of short winter daylight. Most of the Grahams I've done so far have been really tough too...
weaselmaster
Wanderer

Munros:205   Corbetts:213
Grahams:68   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:177   Hewitts:31
Wainwrights:15   Islands:28

Postby The Rodmiester » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:16 pm

Impressive stuff there rockhopper, that's put me right in my place :lol: I thought I was doing well :( Nice photographs as well. Long hard day!
The Rodmiester
Munro compleatist

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Grahams:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:75   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:16

Postby Silverhill » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:48 pm

Well done, looks like hard work!
Silverhill

Munros:280   Corbetts:3

Postby chickadee » Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:41 pm

I often think many of the Grahams and Corbetts look just as (or even more!) exciting as some Munros. Looks like quite a trek! What time did you arrive? Definitely got good weather for it! Low level this week has been a bit rubbish (as I stare out of my office window).
chickadee
Walker

Munros:12   Corbetts:4
Grahams:1   
Sub 2000:3   

Postby scottishkennyg » Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:15 pm

Nice round there Neil, can relate to what you say about the corbetts and Grahams, they are hard work and do not have the same motorways to the summits..I think I'll need to get going back round the munros again.
scottishkennyg

Munros:282   

Postby AnnieMacD » Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:54 pm

Looks like a fantastic - if tough - walk. I personally love the Corbetts and Grahams and will get my tally up as the days draw in, I hope. That's a huge amount of ascent on mostly pathless terrain. Great photos too despite the haze.
AnnieMacD
Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:15
Grahams:13   
Sub 2000:8   

Postby litljortindan » Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:07 pm

Looks a good walk and some nice pictures -like the portrait of the meandering stream/glen, the semi silhouetted clouds and the inversion with hazy sun.
litljortindan
Walker

Munros:111   Corbetts:55
Grahams:26   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Postby Gordie12 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:32 pm

That's a heck of a walk rockhopper - loved the photos.
Gordie12
Walker

Munros:112   Corbetts:62
Grahams:17   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:24
Wainwrights:24   

Postby rockhopper » Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:37 pm

cheers all :)

weaselmaster wrote:It looks a good circuit this one, I remember Malky_c posting it recently and thinking I'd save it for a winter's day - but looks a bit too long / ascent challenging for the times of short winter daylight. .
There are several variations on routes for these hills, just depends what you're after - Malky's route was from Glen Fruin and excluded Beinn Dubh....but he did take a lot less time than me :roll:

chickadee wrote: What time did you arrive?
about 0640hrs and was off and walking about 0700hrs.....getting later as the nights draw in :lol:

scottishkennyg wrote:.I think I'll need to get going back round the munros again.
:crazy: :shock: :wink:
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:207
Grahams:60   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:19

Postby dooterbang » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:06 pm

Nice extension to a shorter local walk, one I'll now need to do (maybe in winter)...cheers :D
dooterbang
Mountain Walker

Munros:255   Corbetts:57
Grahams:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Postby malky_c » Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:47 pm

Always got to go one better than me :wink: .

Some great photos in completely different atmospheric conditions to what I had. I think I would have done a route more like this if the time had been available. Mind you, I think I could've added Beinn Dubh from my start point given an extra 90 minutes or so, so you can start from anywhere really.
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Grahams:219   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:251   Hewitts:256
Wainwrights:102   Islands:33

10 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is now advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland