walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Stob Coire Raineach & Stob Dubh - I Think

Stob Coire Raineach & Stob Dubh - I Think

Postby Gordie12 » Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:55 pm

Route description: Buachaille Etive Beag

Munros included on this walk: Stob Coire Raineach (Buachaille Etive Beag), Stob Dubh (Buachaille Etive Beag)

Date walked: 19/09/2014

Time taken: 3.8 hours

Distance: 9.3 km

Ascent: 963m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The forecast was a bit tricky for today, would the mist burn off, would the tops be above the clouds or would it just be clag city?

I was the only one parked in the car park when I set off at 8.40am (the lay-by for Buachaille Etive Mor was full).

1.jpg

As I looked around, most of the tops were in cloud but they seemed to be clearing ahead of me. There is a great path all the way to the climb up to the bealach where it turns in to one long stairway of stepping stones.

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Arrived at the bealach in an hour where I had the choice of heading left or right.

5.jpg
Stob Coire Raineach

6.jpg
Start of the climb to Stob Dubh

Tricky decision, head left in to the clag or head right in to the clag - I went left.

While heading up Stob Coire Raineach there was one small bonus.

7.jpg
Big brother says hello

Twenty five minutes after leaving the bealach I was at the summit.

8.jpg
Stob Coire Raineach summit

Little point in hanging about on the summit so after a quick drink I headed back down stopping to chat with a guy from Norwich who was up on holiday doing some Munro bagging.

9.jpg
First part of the climb up Stob Dubh

After the initial steep climb up from the bealach the remainder of the walk to the summit of Stob Dubh is easy going with the ridge narrowing but sadly no views down on either side.

Arriving at the summit of Stob Dubh my paper map told me I was at the top, my Garmin told me I was at the top and so did my WH notes but coming and going through the clag I could see another top that despite all the evidence I managed to convince myself was an inch higher than where I was standing so I needed to carry on.

10.jpg
Summit of Stob Dubh

At the next summit I realised this was where WH refers to the unbeatable views of Glen Etive so the least I can do is share the view with anyone who reads this.

11.jpg
Glen Etive

Time to turn round and head back to the bealach. Again, didn't hang about on the summit as the clag was as bad now as it had been all day. Heading back I met the guy from Norwich again. He was telling me he had done 16 Munros in 2 years, made me think how many I would have done if they were all in his part of the world - probably a big fat zero.

At the bealach the cloud seemed to be starting to lift a little bit.

12.jpg
Stob Coire Raineach

The remainder of the walk was enjoyable as I was now below the cloud line and the sun was threatening to break through.

13.jpg
View down to the road

14.jpg
Looking back

15.jpg

16.jpg

As I got to within about 400 yards of the car park a couple of foreign guys heading up the hill stopped me to ask how much further it was to the top, they could only have been 10 minutes from the car park :? :? :?

17.jpg
A busier car park

Back at the car park the sun came out and more of the tops were starting to clear - think I need to head back and do these two again on a clearer day.

Time wise, 3hrs walking, 15 minutes of catching my breath on the walk up from the car park to the bealach and 25 minutes chatting to anybody who would listen to me.

Drove back through Glencoe in blue sky and sunshine as far as Bridge of Orchy where it started to cloud over again.
Gordie12
Mountaineer

Munros:112   Corbetts:62
Grahams:18   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:24
Wainwrights:24   

Re: Stob Coire Raineach & Stob Dubh - I Think

Postby Fife Flyer » Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:30 pm

Nice one Gordie :clap: Exactly the same conditions as when I did it a few months ago, agree with you the path is really good :wink:
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:191   Corbetts:41
Grahams:16   Donalds:20
Sub 2000:120   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Postby The Rodmiester » Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:53 pm

Fife Flyer wrote:Nice one Gordie :clap: Exactly the same conditions as when I did it a few months ago, agree with you the path is really good :wink:

Same again with the weather as already know, great pity. Nice hill though and a fine path which made for good fast walking :D Next year in June I'm back up there doing a Compleation with a fellow Club member, just maybe I'll get a view for once. :lol:
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Grahams:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:16

Postby Silverhill » Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:47 pm

Shame you didn’t get the views. They are indeed unbeatable towards Glen Etive. Although your picture is of those views is priceless! :wink:
Silverhill

Munros:282   Corbetts:5
Grahams:5   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:7   

Postby BoyVertiginous » Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:58 am

Hadn't really considered this as a "quickie", despite driving by it several times a year. Now firmly on the radar.
Cheers.
BoyVertiginous
Hill Bagger

Munros:192   Corbetts:65
Grahams:24   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:7
Wainwrights:14   Islands:17

Postby Gordie12 » Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:33 pm

BoyVertiginous wrote:Hadn't really considered this as a "quickie", despite driving by it several times a year. Now firmly on the radar.
Cheers.

Just choose a good day - apparently there are great views from the tops!!
Gordie12
Mountaineer

Postby jepsonscotland » Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:09 pm

Aye, agree with the others. The view of Glen Etive is spectacular.
Shame you didn't get the view. This time................... :lol: :lol:
I'm sure you won't have a problem finding volunteers to go back and do these two again.
It's well worth it for the view.
Count me in. :wink:
Chris
jepsonscotland
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:8
Grahams:1   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   

Postby SecretSquirrel » Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:15 pm

Good report. Shame you didn't get the views, but your pictures show the route well - good info for me with these hills still on the todo list. :D
SecretSquirrel
Mountain Walker

Munros:124   Corbetts:26
Grahams:24   Donalds:76
Sub 2000:10   

Postby BlackPanther » Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:22 pm

Ahh, the elusive views... :( But now you have a good excuse to do it again - in winter conditions :wink:

That's what we decided when we did the Wee Buachaille this summer. We were lucky with weather, got the panos, but found the hill so easy that it would be a sin not to return here when the white stuff arrives :D
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:260   Corbetts:165
Grahams:114   
Sub 2000:48   

Postby Gordie12 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:34 pm

SecretSquirrel wrote:Good report. Shame you didn't get the views, but your pictures show the route well - good info for me with these hills still on the todo list. :D

Hi SecretSquirrel - there is a fork in the track after about half a mile, take the left track uphill rather than heading down towards the river and that is really the only decision you need to take all day - the rest is straight forward and obvious (even in clag).
Gordie12
Mountaineer

Postby Gordie12 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:36 pm

BlackPanther wrote:Ahh, the elusive views... :( But now you have a good excuse to do it again - in winter conditions :wink:

That's what we decided when we did the Wee Buachaille this summer. We were lucky with weather, got the panos, but found the hill so easy that it would be a sin not to return here when the white stuff arrives :D

I got this one wrong BP.

I'd rather do a lower Corbett or Graham and get views than tick off a Munro just for the sake of it - definitely want to go back to these two either in winter or on a guaranteed non clag day so I can see the views for myself.
Gordie12
Mountaineer

Postby litljortindan » Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:42 pm

Big Brother looming out of the cloud makes for a great photo.
litljortindan
Mountaineer

Munros:115   Corbetts:58
Grahams:27   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Postby Gordie12 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:13 pm

litljortindan wrote:Big Brother looming out of the cloud makes for a great photo.

Thanks, the one highlight of the day.
Gordie12
Mountaineer

Postby rockhopper » Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:04 pm

Ach, I've lost count of the number of times the forecasts turn out incorrectly :roll: Pity about the clag but, as you say, the bonus was your inversion shot - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:215
Grahams:64   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:19

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland