walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Lomond

Ben Lomond

Postby laurawills13 » Tue May 04, 2010 3:33 pm

Munros included on this walk: Ben Lomond

Date walked: 03/05/2010

Time taken: 5 hours

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Me and Kerr were walking up the campsies a few weeks ago and decided this year we would try and tackle as many Munros as we can. Ben Lomond was our 1st..... set off from Glasgow at 9 getting up to the car park about 10.15 (after a few wrong turns on the road up :) )..... it was a lovely day and the sun was shining most of the way (in fact ended up sun burnt!!!), i say the sun was shining i think we experienced all seasons on the way up (Hail, Snow, Rain, Wind, Sun).

It was really busy with other walkers as being a bank holiday and a nice day. the walk up was ok, few stops to take on water and a munch. As you get higher and look back over the Loch the views are amazing and the pictures dont do the views any justice. Sometimes you forget what a lovely country scotland is!!

The last bit up towards the summit was steeper than i imagined and the steep drops were a little daunting but it was totally worth it when you got up there.

If anything the walk down was a lot harder with needing to concentrate more on foot placement and also the pounding your knees and feet take.

Really enjoyed the walk and we are now planning on Ben Lawers as the next one :)
Attachments
IMG_0354.jpg
view over back of Ben Lomond
IMG_0347.jpg
Kerry at top
IMG_0349.jpg
me at the top
laurawills13
Mountaineer

Munros:3   

Re: Ben Lomond

Postby gammy leg walker » Tue May 04, 2010 7:40 pm

Nice pics lw,when you go and climb Ben Lawers go over Ben Ghlas 1st its on the way,then on way back drop down into Corie Ohdar to save you going back over Ben Ghlas,roughly 4/5 hrs car to car 8)
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby laurawills13 » Thu May 06, 2010 12:48 pm

i have loads more pics just picked a couple.... That sounds great thanks, we are doing on the 17th May my birthday - cant wait
laurawills13
Mountaineer

Munros:3   

Postby walk aboot » Thu May 06, 2010 2:12 pm

Nice report :) . I'm heading up to Ben Lomond after work in couple of weeks, it makes a brilliant evening walk in the Summer months :wink: . Were the bluebells out yet at the start of the walk, or am I too early for thinking they might be?
walk aboot

Munros:36   Corbetts:4
Donalds:1
Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:2   Islands:27

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland