walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

More and more on Mull and a bit more on Iona

More and more on Mull and a bit more on Iona

Postby dogplodder » Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:15 pm

Route description: Ben More (Mull) from Dhiseig

Munros included on this walk: Ben More (Mull)

Date walked: 04/09/2014

Distance: 9.25 km

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

For a long time Moira and I talked about going over to Mull to climb Ben More. We always agreed we needed a good weather day with excellent visibility to make the most of the views from this island Munro. After years of chat I took the bull by the horns and booked a cottage for a week for Pete and me, the idea being that Moira would scan the weather sites and come over for the day that looked the best to do the climb.

We took the Corran ferry over and arrived at Lochaline just in time to see the ferry leaving for Mull so walked the dogs to fill the gap before the next one. It was just as we were about to board Pete met RyanfaeScotland who was two cars behind. Didn't pick up his message until a couple of days later (no wifi) and hope he had a good time on Mull!

Lochaline to Fishnish ferry
DSC_1490-large.JPG

The next morning we drove north to Tobermory with its delightful bay lined with coloured houses. The grandkids were excited to hear we were having lunch in Balamory, the only downside being it was too warm to leave the dogs in the car but we couldn't find any eating places that allowed dogs (unlike Keswick in Cumbria where they were welcomed in shops and cafes alike).

What's the story in Balmory?
DSC_1491-large.JPG

DSC_1495-large.JPG

After a rushed lunch (because of having to leave dogs in car) we took the narrow winding road west to Calgary Bay. This was a nice beach where the dogs got a swim but not as stunning as the ones we found on Iona later in the week.

Calgary Bay
DSC_1507-large.JPG

From Calgary we drove south with hazy views of the Treshnish Isles and saw 6 sea eagles in about 10 minutes on the north side of Loch Tuath. I wasn't sure if the first one we saw was a golden or sea eagle and asked a guy on a bike who'd been watching it with binoculars. He said there are goldens nesting on Mull but this was definitely a sea eagle and pointed out another. After that we saw 4 more - majestic birds soaring on the thermals on a warm sunny afternoon. We didn't see any more during the rest of the week so this was obviously the place to go to see them.

As we passed the Island of Ulva on our right views were improving of the highest point on Mull - Ben More.

Ben More from near Ulva ferry
DSC_1521-largec.JPG

Back in Inverness Moira checked MWIS and the forecasts which indicated Wednesday, Thursday and Friday were all equally good so she decided on Thursday for the climb. On the Wednesday Pete and I explored the south side of the island, ending up on the B8035, the road that skirts Ben More which we were pleased to see was cloud free and looking good for the next day!

Beinn Tallaidh (Mull's lost Corbett) from A849
DSC_1535-large.JPG

Ben More from south at Ardvergnish
DSC_1537-large.JPG

Beach and island of Inch Kenneth just west of Dhiseag route up Ben More
DSC_1543-largec.JPG

The morning of the climb started misty but we assumed it would clear as the forecast was good. We parked just before a bridge on the grassy area on the shore side of the road opposite the signed track for Dhiseig.

Shoreside parking on Loch na Keal
DSC_1550-largec.JPG

View west over bridge
DSC_1548-largec.JPG

Sadly both my dogs are getting on a bit and have arthritic joints. Although they'd have been up for coming I decided it was kinder to leave them and was relieved I didn't have them when I read the sign insisting dogs must be kept on lead at all times.

DSC_1547-largec.JPG

Hazy but top clear (M's pic)
10604108_10152658015063788_1560186244229125349_o-large.jpg

The track leads to the entrance to a house when you follow a sign 'UP' to the right and through a gate. The path leads to the left bank of the Abhainn Dhiseig with views opening up back to the islands. I decided since it was hazy not to take many photos, assuming it would be better on the way down. It wasn't.

Isle of Eorsa on right
DSC_1552-largec.JPG

After two easy burn crossings the path continues up the right bank passing a series of waterfalls. At this point we noticed the cloud was thicker and lower and we could no longer see the summit.

Waterfalls on Abhainn Dhiseag
DSC_1555-large.JPG

Good path well marked by cairns
DSC_1556-large.JPG

Eorsa island gradually fading as we climbed into cloud
DSC_1557-largec.JPG

Nearing the summit
DSC_1561-large.JPG

By the time we reached the large summit shelter we were in a damp world of cotton wool and could only see about 10 feet all round. Sitting in the shelter when we arrived was a couple from Shropshire who had just bought a house in the same village as my sister in law. They had climbed Ben More in April 2012 when there wasn't a cloud in the sky and the views were so good were keen to come back. I felt for them but at least they'd seen it - which is more than could be said for us!

No sign of the magnificent summit panoramas but it was an impressive shelter around the cairn
10648987_10152658015698788_2898470444921407503_o-large.jpg

After our careful planning it was disappointing but that's the weather and you can't always rely on forecasts. We stayed for a while hoping the cloud would break and we'd get a glimpse of something but if anything it thickened and it was becoming quite chilly too. So after food we set off back down and by the time we reached the waterfalls it was raining and rained all the way back to the car. At one point Moira slipped on wet rock, putting her hand down to save herself and jarring her shoulder in the process. It was painful but not dislocated which was a relief as a trip to A & E might not have been so easy on Mull.

Ironically the next day we had glorious sunshine, turquoise blue waters and stunning white beaches on the nearby Island of Iona.

Bunessan on the road to Iona
DSC_1566-large.JPG

Iona from Fionnphort
DSC_1568-large.JPG

North end of Iona
DSC_1625-large.JPG

That rock looked to me unsettlingly like an angry shark
DSC_1618-large.JPG

DSC_1626-large.JPG

DSC_1628-large.JPG

Ben More from Pennyghael the day after we were up there in thick clag
DSC_1642-large.JPG

It's one of the easier Munros to climb and we agreed if ever we're on Mull again and the weather looks good we'll go up again - just to see what we missed! 8)
Last edited by dogplodder on Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:42 am, edited 4 times in total.
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Re: More and more on Mull and a bit more on Iona

Postby dogplodder » Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:14 am

I should add that thick clag couldn't stop us smiling at the top! :D

905881_10152658014423788_8642232252643790135_o-large.jpg
dogplodder

Postby Beaner001 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:32 pm

Looks like you had a great time DP, enjoyed that, pity the dogs nevermanaged Ben More. :D
Where did you stay that accomodated the dogs? I fancy a return.
Back in 2005 was my one and only time to Mull, but it was a week of field trips through Uni, loved it. Iona is beautiful and we got a glimpse of a Corncrake among other wildlife on the trip.
Beaner001
Mountain Walker

Munros:241   Corbetts:29
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   

Postby dogplodder » Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:16 pm

Beaner001 wrote:Looks like you had a great time DP, enjoyed that, pity the dogs nevermanaged Ben More. :D
Where did you stay that accomodated the dogs? I fancy a return.
Back in 2005 was my one and only time to Mull, but it was a week of field trips through Uni, loved it. Iona is beautiful and we got a glimpse of a Corncrake among other wildlife on the trip.

Our cottage was great for dogs (enclosed garden back and front) but there were a few issues like poor water pressure meaning shower was just a trickle and the bath took 20 minutes to half fill. :?

I'll PM you the details.
dogplodder

Postby AnnieMacD » Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:20 pm

What a shame you didn't get the views. Really enjoyed your photos of Mull - makes me want to go.

Anyway, seems like you and Moira had a good day regardless.
AnnieMacD
Mountaineer

Munros:25   Corbetts:15
Fionas:13   
Sub 2000:8   

Postby chickadee » Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:31 pm

YAY! I love Ben More. Well done! You seemed to have opposite weather from me as my Iona day was much more overcast!
chickadee
Mountaineer

Munros:13   Corbetts:4
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:3   

Postby scottishkennyg » Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:20 pm

Nice on DP you have also managed to capture some great colourful images of Mull. Unfortunate that the clag creeped in for your day on Ben More.
scottishkennyg

Munros:282   

Postby Gordie12 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:46 pm

That looked brilliant dogplodder (even if you didn't get the views from the summit).

This is the one that got away for me as I really wanted to do it this year but just haven't made it.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Postby Silverhill » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:08 pm

What a wonderful week you had :D ! Fantastic pictures 8) . I like the picture of you punching the air on Ben More. Shame that the one day you decided to do a hill the weather didn’t play ball.
Silverhill

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:8   Donalds:42
Sub 2000:28   

Postby dooterbang » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:19 pm

Fantastic report :)

Shame about the weather but your enjoyment shined through the mist.

I've still to do this...looking forward to it.

Cheers.
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Postby dogplodder » Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:14 am

AnnieMacD wrote:What a shame you didn't get the views. Really enjoyed your photos of Mull - makes me want to go.

Anyway, seems like you and Moira had a good day regardless.

We did have a good day Annie and had a laugh at the top as we compensated for no views with chocolate instead! :wink:
dogplodder

Postby dogplodder » Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:53 pm

chickadee wrote:YAY! I love Ben More. Well done! You seemed to have opposite weather from me as my Iona day was much more overcast!

Just read your report and am jealous - what views you had! :mrgreen:
dogplodder

Postby dawnfoth » Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:19 pm

Hi dogplodder

My Grandparents used to live in the wee bungalow where that last pic is taken from across Loch Scridain from Pennyghael looking up Ben More. They lived there for about 20 years or so and I am ashamed to say I have never been to the summit. However, I have chased sheep around it many times!!! :lol:

Mull is an amazing place - Iona too!

Some lovely pics there - shame about the claggy summit. Great excuse to go back :D
dawnfoth
Munro compleatist

Munros:269   Corbetts:16
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:11   Islands:6

Postby dogplodder » Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:42 am

scottishkennyg wrote:Nice on DP you have also managed to capture some great colourful images of Mull. Unfortunate that the clag creeped in for your day on Ben More.

Thanks Kenny. Yes there's quite a contrast between the clag and bright colours of the day after! 8)
dogplodder

Postby malky_c » Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:41 pm

Unlucky with Ben More itself, but this looks like a nice relaxing visit to Mull with some great photos elsewhere :D . To date, all my trips to Mull have been in a rush - usually for work, with a little walking crammed in for good measure.
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland