walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Dubhchraig and Ben Oss

Beinn Dubhchraig and Ben Oss

Postby Stretch » Tue May 04, 2010 6:23 pm

Route description: Ben Oss and Beinn Dubhchraig, near Tyndrum

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Dubhchraig, Ben Oss

Date walked: 03/05/2010

Time taken: 8 hours

Distance: 17 km

Ascent: 1172m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

What a difference a month makes! Tried to get up these two the day before Easter and turned around due to very thick cloud and large amounts of snow which made the path totally vanish before my eyes. Glad I did, because yesterday conditions were fantastic, except for a bit of chilly wind. My pal from Yorkshire accompanied me this time and we had no problems getting through the forest and out onto the upper moor. The path was considerably less boggy than before and it was easy going all the way up to the summit of Beinn Dubhchraig. It was nice to have some views! We took our summit photos and then dived out of the wind behind some rocks to enjoy lunch with a view of Ben Oss and Ben Lui. I was properly introduced to Kendall Mint Cake - its like Red Bull on steriods. After a short descent off Beinn Dubhchraig we followed the path around to where we were even with the bealeach and turned right, heading up the gentle slope between Ben Oss and the little top below it. No problems from here to the top. What a view of Ben Lui from this position. Just wondering, has anyone ascended or descended Ben Lui from its northeast ridge, Stob Garbh? The Munro book says this is doable but it sure looked steep and fairly dangerous from Ben Oss. After we finished taking in the views it was back up to the shoulder of Beinn Dubhchraig and then down to the forest. A great walk today with lots of eye candy. Don't think I'd want to walk the boggy path in mid summer though.

Stretch

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Beinn Dubhchraig on approach.jpg

Ben Oss.jpg

Ben Lui from Beinn Dubhchraig .jpg

Ben Lomond from Beinn Dubhchraig.jpg

Looking toward Tyndrum hills from Beinn Dubhchraig .jpg

Ben Oss and Ben Lui from Beinn Dubhchraig.jpg

Ben Oss and Ben Lui.jpg

Ben Nevis in the distance.jpg

Beinn Dubhchraig from Ben Oss.jpg

Ben Lui from Ben Oss.jpg

Ben Lui with Ben Cruachan in background.jpg

Ben Lomond and the Trossachs.jpg

The Yank.jpg

The Yorkshireman.jpg

Beinn Dubhchraig and Loch Oss.jpg

An impressive Ben Lui.jpg
Stretch
Munro compleatist

Munros:146   Corbetts:8
Sub 2000:2   

Re: Beinn Dubhchraig and Ben Oss

Postby gammy leg walker » Tue May 04, 2010 7:45 pm

Hi stretch read your report could not have been posted at a better time,as it looks like I am going to tackle these 2 munro"s on Sunday,rather than what I had 1st planned to do.
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby monty » Tue May 04, 2010 8:18 pm

Nice report Stretch.
Some lovely pictures there. You got some nice weather even if the wind was cold. Its nice to see the snow is gone. Might have a go of these soon. :D
monty

Postby Graeme D » Tue May 04, 2010 9:48 pm

Nice report Stretch - great images of Ben Lui looking rugged.
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby Stretch » Tue May 04, 2010 9:52 pm

Thanks guys, these two hills are actually very nice in good conditions, best get to them before the bog fairies pay a visit though :lol:
Stretch
Munro compleatist

Munros:146   Corbetts:8

Postby Paul Webster » Wed May 05, 2010 9:41 am

Yes, great report. That Stob Garbh ridge on Lui looks really steep but it does seem alot of people go that way and I've never heard it is that hard.

I was across the glen from you that day on Sgiath Chuil / Meall Glas - should have waved :wave:
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland