walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A trip to the local - Hill of Stake- from Brisbane Glen

A trip to the local - Hill of Stake- from Brisbane Glen

Postby Mountainlove » Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:51 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Hill of Stake

Date walked: 21/09/2014

Time taken: 4.5 hours

Distance: 10 km

Ascent: 484m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I am lucky to have a set of low hills right on my doorstep and I have spend many hours walking across these hills, which even during the best weather of the year have hardly any visitors. Shocking was the fact that I had not yet climbed the highest hill. The 8h :shock: ! return trip from Largs had always stopped me.
Having checked my OS map I wanted to try out a more direct route, which was a mere 5 min drive away from the town center of Largs and so far is not yet described on Walkhighlands.

Walk description

Park at the little car park next to the Outerwards Reservoir. A gate across from the car park leads to a lovely picnic area and a faith path continues along site the burn and through some plantation. Climb over the fence and make your way up Black Craigs up Coxy Hills. It is best to stick to the right hand site of the burn. The top is called Peat Hill for obvious reasons. Walk towards Burnt Hill (489m) which took me 1.15 hours from the starting point.

From the top of Burnt Hill you can see the Hill of Stake in the distance. The walk across the moor is very boggy and best kept for a dry period. The approach is slow due to deep heather, hidden waterways and peat hags and takes about 1 hour.

From the top of the Hill of Stake lovely views towards Largs, Lochwinnoch and Greenock can be enjoyed. Walk back the same direction you came.

The start of the walk

The walk towards the picnic area

The picnic area

Continue along site the burn

Looking back towards the picnic area

Climb the fence

Start to climb the hill

View back on the way up

Me on the way up, with the Outerwards Reservoir behind me

View towards the old Largs road, which will continue towards Greenock

Coxy Hills, looking towards the Clyde. A faith path can be followed for a while

The top, towards Greenock

View from Burnt Hill towards Largs, the Cumbraes and Arran

Hill of Stake on the left in the distance

The top and summit cairn of Hill of Stake

Surrounding views

Looking back towards the starting point

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Munros:62   Corbetts:34
Grahams:7   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:9

Re: A trip to the local - Hill of Stake- from Brisbane Glen

Postby rockhopper » Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:30 pm

Interesting - must keep it in mind as it's not too far from me either yet have never been anywhere near it :roll: - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Grahams:65   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:19

Re: A trip to the local - Hill of Stake- from Brisbane Glen

Postby Spade » Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:13 pm

Looks great, My friend and I paraglide off the peat hill when the wind is right and usually land in the parking area next to outerwards. I've never been on foot as far as the Hill of stake but seen it from the paraglider. Will defo' walk to it now though.
Great report :clap:
Spade

Munros:80   Corbetts:5

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

Your generosity keeps this site running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland