walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Nevis: My heart belongs in the outdoors

Ben Nevis: My heart belongs in the outdoors

Postby wee_emy » Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:29 am

Route description: Ben Nevis by the Mountain Path

Munros included on this walk: Ben Nevis

Date walked: 20/09/2014

Time taken: 5 hours

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Ben Nevis has always been one of the Munros i have wanted to tick off my list and last weekend i got to climb it for another time. Having read many walkers reports and viewed numerous photo albums of the different routes up Nevis i was excited that i got to share this walk with a charity group. The reasoning behind the climb was not a sole personal goal, i was asked to join a charity walk in aid of Scottish Mental Health by my boss who signed up for the challenge despite not having any previous walking experience. Naturally i jumped at the chance to walk up Nevis and to help raise money for SAMH.

I joined the charity group of 10 walkers and set off from the visitors car park at 10am. Could have not asked for a better day to walk either, it was warm, but not too warm and the sun was out giving spectacular views across the glens and the surrounding landscapes. I think it was safe to say i was the most excited about the walk, the others in the group seemed to be under the impression the quicker they reach the top, the quicker they can be back down and in the pub. However a good 30 minutes into the walk it was evident that it was going to take a lot longer than i first predicted with the team members already struggling with the steepness where the path double backs on it self on the ascend. I am all for maintaining a steady pace and taking in the beauty that is nature! After-all, as someone once told me a few years ago, you are only as strong as your weakest team member. :D With it being such a cracking day to be out in the hills, the mountain track had a lot of traffic on it, both ascending and descending. There was moments where you did trail behind a group of slower walkers here and there but it is all part of the hill walker experience and when it is safe to do so let the quicker walkers past and those who wish to run :shock: up and down the Munro fair play to them i am not that fit! [Yet]

1.jpg
The beginning!

Heading on up to the crossing over looking Red Burn valley the views become more and more impressive. Passing Loch Meall an t-Suidha (the half way loch) the paths evened out and allowed for a quickened pace walk up and over the waterfall before the steep zig zag ascent. The path becomes worn and tricky having to ascend through the boulders and scree as it passes the top of Red Burn stream. The views across the valley are magnificent; part of me wishing we took the CMD route as the weather was perfectly suited for that climb!

4.jpg
Loch Meall an t-Suidha

5.jpg
In awe at this view

6.jpg
Another landscape view

Venturing into Five Finger Gully, put a big smile on my face, this was my kind of walk, a tough on wards ascent through scree! bring it on! As mentioned before we had a cracking day weather wise and the views right across Glen Far were ones that could easily have been postcard images! Unfortunately there is the downside of the increased descending traffic, however turning negatives into positives, there is always someone to ask to take a photo for you if you are a solo climber (which always helps as selfies don't do the views justice!)

7.jpg
On the Zig Zag

8.jpg
SCREE!! :)

9.jpg
View point!

10.jpg
last ascent before summit plateau

At the top of the zig zags the path flattens out giving view to the summit, the highest mountain in the British Isles. The walk to the summit was a rewarding walk, the cloud had started to come down at this point but did not dampen the groups spirits! We stopped here at the summit for a break for lunch and took the all important photo snaps at the Cairn before embarking on the descent.

11.jpg

12.jpg

3.jpg
Jump!

13.jpg

14.jpg

The descent was down the same route we came up, this time, the group members taking notice of their surroundings and stopping to take photos and pose for shots at any given moment. Passing down by Loch Meall an t-Suidha we decided to walk across to the Loch edge and dip the feet in for cool down and a short break to take in the views. The descent can be sore on the thighs and knees but keeping a steady but safe pace is key to getting down safely.

15.jpg

18.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

I thoroughly enjoyed this climb, and would most definitely do it again. I will next time however choose the CMD route. I also want to climb at Tower Ridge some point too, hopefully before the snow sets in! Over all a great experience on Ben Nevis, fantastic weather and spectacular views. My heart truly belongs in the mountains.

2.jpg
Standing on the edge!
Last edited by wee_emy on Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wee_emy
Backpacker

Munros:33   Corbetts:3
Sub 2000:1   

Re: Ben Nevis: My heart belongs in the outdoors

Postby MunroMadMen » Fri Sep 26, 2014 12:37 pm

Great report & pics ;) well done you....... looks like you had a great day

G
MunroMadMen
Mountain Walker

Munros:168   Corbetts:3
Grahams:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   

Postby dogplodder » Fri Sep 26, 2014 2:49 pm

What a day you got for it and some photos to match. Well done! :clap:
dogplodder

Munros:226   Corbetts:52
Grahams:16   
Sub 2000:24   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:9   Islands:21

Postby The Rodmiester » Fri Sep 26, 2014 4:16 pm

Glad you enjoyed your day! I guess now your converted to the hills, well you have a huge choice, enjoy them and hope the weather is kind to you. Your bound to meet up with others on this site at sometime :D
The Rodmiester
Munro compleatist

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Grahams:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:75   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:16

Postby Tammy1113 » Fri Sep 26, 2014 5:29 pm

I'll be heading up this route in 3 weeks time, I hope the weather stays the same, the photos are great! Well done!
Tammy1113
Walker

Munros:2   
Grahams:1   
Sub 2000:3   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is now advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland