walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

3rd Attempt & no squeaking

3rd Attempt & no squeaking

Postby Fife Flyer » Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:21 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Lamington Hill

Date walked: 26/09/2014

Time taken: 1.3 hours

Distance: 6 km

Ascent: 300m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

After another trip down to Englandshire to check up on my parents, this was my 3rd attempt to climb Lamington Hill. The first planned attempt was in June, but as I went through Lamington it was chucking it down and no hills could be seen :lol: The second attempt was last month, all was almost going to plan, however it was baking hot with no wind and as I reached the foot of the hill I was attacked/assaulted by huge numbers of insects, and not being a great lover of little flying things I abandoned the walk. I knew I would be heading through Lamington again so I romped downhill to escape being eaten alive :lol:
My plan was to climb the hill on the way back north, mainly because the forecast was better :wink: So after a slow drive up the M6, M74 & then onto the A702 I arrived in the church car park and was the only vehicle, it was a tad blowy, but I was determined to summit this time :lol: I realised this morning before I left my parents, that I had forgotten to bring my map and route, so this was going to be a memory test :lol:
I set off at 1.45pm wearing my NEW boots, no it's not a typing mistake, I finally purchased a pair of Salomon Quest 4D GTX in Dundee last weekend and it is taking some getting used to not hearing the squeaking, I am now able to sneak up on sheep and other animals :lol: :lol:
The first part of the walk is probably the hardest, that involves walking the 50yds or so along the edge of the A702, there is no pavement so care needs to be taken before crossing the road :lol:
Once across the road you then head up the tarmac road towards Baitlaws House. The following photo's describe the route :wink: One thing you do notice is that the 3 gates you have to negotiate all have different forms of opening/locking :lol:

DSCF6385.JPG
The road up towards Baitlaws House

DSCF6386.JPG
Looking back towards the A702

DSCF6390.JPG
The first gate

DSCF6391.JPG
The track after progressing through the first gate

DSCF6392.JPG
The local residents who had strange orangey coloured coats

DSCF6394.JPG
The 2nd gate

DSCF6396.JPG
The next obstacle is nice little wooden bridge, you do have the option to paddle across the ford if you like wet feet

DSCF6398.JPG
Take the left hand path to the final gate before you go onto the open moorland

DSCF6400.JPG
The path uphill, easy walking

DSCF6404.JPG
Another decision, take the left hand path

DSCF6409.JPG
More bracken which is on it's last legs and turning brown.

The walk as described by the photo's above was very pleasant and fairly easy, the last part is fairly steep, but you know the summit isn't far away :lol: Took me 50mins to reach the summit, admittedly I didn't hang about :lol:
You get great views of the surrounding area, the rolling hills of the borders, sadly there is the usual blot on the landscape, I think we all know what I am referring to :(

DSCF6413.JPG
Summit cairn

DSCF6411.JPG
Tinto

DSCF6412.JPG
The Clyde

DSCF6414.JPG
Coulter Reservoir

DSCF6415.JPG
The "BLOT" with the edge of the trig point in the foreground

DSCF6418.JPG
Biggar zoomed

DSCF6424.JPG
Looking down on Baitlaws

DSCF6427.JPG
Looking back up towards the summit from the good quad bike track

A nice little enjoyable walk, will need to study the rest of the hills near the A702 to see what is next on my list :lol:
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:134   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Re: 3rd Attempt & no squeaking

Postby PeteR » Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:59 pm

A nice view of Tinto Martin :D

I remember a very windy day doing that one.

It's also a view I've had from the train week on week for the best part of the last year :shock:
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:122   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby Gordie12 » Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:54 pm

Why would you sneak up on sheep, actually, don't answer that :lol: :lol: :lol:

Always good to do some Sub 2000's - great views for a lot less effort.

Hope the boots work out - I hate new boots, I'm on my 4th pair this year :(
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Postby jepsonscotland » Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:15 pm

Nice one Martin. :clap:
Great news on the new boots, let's see who mentions them in a report first!! :lol: :lol:
Now that you'll be silent on the hill, how will we find you, when you wander off path...............????????? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Cheers
Chris
jepsonscotland
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:9
Fionas:1   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   

Postby Flump » Sat Sep 27, 2014 12:18 am

Hey,
Nice choice on the boots, I bought the exact same ones last week but have yet to try them out on the hills. :)
Flump

Munros:174   Corbetts:11
Fionas:12   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:11   

Postby Fife Flyer » Sat Sep 27, 2014 6:45 pm

Gordie12 wrote:Hope the boots work out - I hate new boots, I'm on my 4th pair this year :(

4th pair :shock: My one pair lasted 15yrs, even though they did squeak a wee bit :lol:

jepsonscotland wrote:Now that you'll be silent on the hill, how will we find you, when you wander off path...............????????? :lol: :lol: :lol: Cheers Chris

I do carry a whistle Chris :lol: :lol:

Flump wrote:Nice choice on the boots, I bought the exact same ones last week but have yet to try them out on the hills. :)

Feel quite pleased now, hope yours aren't the same colour :lol: :lol:
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:134   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland