walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Historical autumn stroll

Historical autumn stroll

Postby pinkmongoose » Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:44 am

Route description: Croy Hill and the Antonine Wall, near Kilsyth

Date walked: 27/09/2014

Time taken: 3 hours

Distance: 10.5 km

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

My time yesterday on this walk was a little longer than given above as I started from Croy railway station. Haven't included that but it's about an extra 20 minutes start and end.

The remains of the Antonine wall - or more to the point its ditch - are impressive in this area. Particularly the section from Bar Hill east is well defined, as is the section on Croy Hill, where the ditch is tunneled straight through rock. The bracken disguises it slightly at Croy Hill, but it can't hide it.

There's no "fort" I could spot at Croy Hill (maybe in the spring when the bracken's died down), but there are some actual bits of stonework to be seen at Bar Hill, which are easy to miss as they cover a reasonable area. I spotted

Roman bathhouse
Drain
Well
Remains of military HQ building.

There may be others!
pinkmongoose
Munro compleatist

Munros:69   Corbetts:9
Grahams:2   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:30
Wainwrights:31   Islands:12

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

Your generosity keeps this site running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland