walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Some hills near Braemar

Some hills near Braemar

Postby rockhopper » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:11 pm

Route description: Càrn na Drochaide, from Linn of Quoich

Corbetts included on this walk: Ben Gulabin, Càrn na Drochaide, Creag nan Gabhar, Monamenach, Morrone

Fionas included on this walk: Badandun Hill

Date walked: 27/09/2014

Time taken: 10.1 hours

Distance: 36 km

Ascent: 2950m

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Corbetts: Ben Gulabin, Creag nan Gabhar, Carn na Drochaide, Morrone, Monamenach
Graham: Badandun Hill
Date: Saturday 27 and early Sunday 28 Sept 2014
Distance: 36km approx
Ascent: 2,950m approx
Time: Move: 9hrs 3mins, Stop: 1hr 7mins
Attendees: me

Having Friday and Monday off, the plan made several months ago was for a camping trip to Moidart. Circumstances dictated otherwise – still trying to shake off a cough and cold ruled out Friday and a poor weather forecast for the north west suggested Moidart wouldn’t be ideal. Shorter walks seemed a better option hence a late change of plan to head for the Braemar area.

Saturday 27 Sept 2014

Drove up past Perth then via Blairgowrie and parked in the wee layby (on the left just north of the Spittal of Glenshee) beside another car. The driver asked for directions to Aberlour (fishing trip) – seems his satnav took him up this way rather than the A9.

Looking back

Got ready and walked on the wee track to the side of the road round the corner to the gate where the main track starts.

Ben Gulabin
Ascent: 450m, Distance: 5.8km, Move: 1hr20mins, Stop: 7mins

27-SEP-14 01.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Good track up the hillside – views northwards

Not long before arriving at a fork in the track – turn left and head upwards

Further up turn to the right and on to the summit

Then back down the same way – weather starting to brighten up further down

Back to the car then drove up past the ski centre and stopped in a layby just south of Newbigging.

Creag nan Gabhar
Ascent: 440m, Distance: 2.8km, Move: 1hr6mins, Stop: 14mins

There are various ways to approach this hill including the walk up by Callater Burn. Most straightforward seemed to be from the roadside.

27-SEP-14 02.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Walked back down the road a little to what looked like the start of a track. Didn’t really come to much so just kept going through the heather with some rocky sections on the way.

Towards Braemar and Morrone

Turned left at the top and headed over some rocks to the cairn

Weather staying reasonable - wind getting up at times

Towards Lochnagar

Towards Ben Avon

Headed more directly towards the car from the summit – found more of a track this time

Back at the car, stopped for a break and some early lunch. Then drove up to Braemar and round to the Linn of Dee – satnav wanted to take me up the old military road then across the Victoria Bridge to Mar Lodge – didn’t seem quite right. Still some spaces in the car park at Linn of Quoich.

Carn na Drochaide
Ascent:560 m, Distance: 6.7km, Move: 1hr42mins, Stop: 13mins

27-SEP-14 03.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Set off around the same time as a few other walkers – think they were heading towards Allanmore. Headed towards a gap in the trees (middle of the photo) then found a track leading up the hill towards Carn Dearg.

Continually lost and found the track on the way up

Reasonably clear but windy at the top

Then back down the same way – solitary tree on the way down

Drove back round to Braemar. Stopped to text home and have a break and some more lunch. Then drove to the car park just past the bridge at Auchallater.

Morrone
Ascent: 630m, Distance: 9.8km, Move: 2hr4mins, Stop: 15mins

27-SEP-14 04.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Walked along the roadside initially then crossed down to the bridge over the Clunie Water. Then left over another wee bridge, alongside the fence then up to pick up the main track up the hillside.

Patterns on the other side of the A93

Onwards and upwards

Higher up turn right towards the summit

Loch Callater

Communications mast

Memorial plaque

Inside

Mar Lodge and Linn of Dee

Trig point

Loch Phadruig

Descended the same way – Auchallater and car park in the distance

Back at the car park I met a walking party – they had been on four of the munros to the east of Glenshee, had walked back down Jock’s Road and were waiting for their tour bus.

Now just after 5pm, had an initial think about heading down to Auchavan for Monamenach as it was turning into a nice evening. However, it would take a wee while to get there and I’d probably end up walking back in the dark so decided to leave it until the following day.

Sunday 28 Sept 2014

Monamenach
Ascent: 450m, Distance: 5.6km, Move: 1hr22mins, Stop: 11mins

Little in the way of parking spaces so parked just past Auchavan on the potholed road which leads to Dalhally – beside the river before the bridge.

28-SEP-14 01.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Set of early before dawn initially with a head torch. Back up to Auchavan and past the houses. Found the track but initially missed the shortcut to the left – then across the field, on to the main track and followed it up the hillside.

Lots of deer on the skyline but with hardly any light the photos are blurred. Stags bellowing on the hillside. Followed the track until it ended, turned right and headed up to the summit.

In the clag for the last wee bit and at the summit cairn

No sign of it clearing so headed back down. Cleared a bit lower down.

Auchavan to the right, car and bridge to the left

Looking brighter over to Badandun Hill

Back up to Monamenach

Back to the car with the weather looking reasonably promising. Hardly any wind. Drove down the road to the end of the Fergus farm track and parked on the verge leaving the farm road clear.

Badandun Hill
Ascent: 420m, Distance: 5.0km, Move: 1hr29mins, Stop: 7mins

28-SEP-14 02.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Set off up the farm track – clear view of the hill in the distance

Followed the track through the farm, up through the tress then on to open ground. Went further up the track until finding a suitable place to cross.

Then up the hillside through the heather

Looking back

Nearing the top, the mist rolled in and the rain had started.

No views at the top

With the rain getting heavier, decided on a more direct route back down to the trees above the farm.

Still raining and misty as I got back to the car

Back at the car it was now just on 10am. Had hoped to go on to the two Grahams, Mount Blair and Mealna Letter (Duchray Hill). Waited a wee bit but there was no sign of the clag and rain clearing. Drove down the road to where the Mount Blair route starts – still raining and very misty – couldn’t see any of the tops. Had absolutely no wish to start either of the walks in rain/clag, see nothing and return in rain/clag so decided to leave them off.

Changed into dry clothes, drove home. Needless to say the weather cleared up considerably near Blairgowrie and was very nice around Gleneagles. Back home in time for lunch – meant I could watch some of the golf and miss the traffic on the A9.
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Re: Some hills near Braemar

Postby weaselmaster » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:43 pm

That's an impressive bit of serial bagging, RH, lots of ascent on Saturday.
I love those shots from Morrone of the stripes of light and darker green foliage - really like camouflage paint on the hills.
weaselmaster
Hill Bagger

Munros:277   Corbetts:216
Fionas:183   Donalds:73+30
Sub 2000:391   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:15   Islands:28

Postby RiverSong » Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:06 pm

Really enjoyed this, haven't been to Braemar for over a year now and I really miss it. Good to see your photos, The Mar Lodge Estate is something special 8)
RiverSong
Walker

Postby jonny616 » Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:18 pm

Great read RH. Cheers 8)
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:14
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:8   Islands:8

Postby Johnny Corbett » Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:56 am

A good 2 days bagging there RH. All nice short walks these or long hard ones if you combine them. Good stuff, cheers :D
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby BoyVertiginous » Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:14 am

Pity about the last two, rockhopper, a good haul nonetheless and you've given me a few ideas...again.

Having a little chuckle/cry at the directness of your Monamenach route, as it brought back memories of doing this back in January when set off from the Compass outdoor Centre with the intention of doing Mealna Letter as well but, wasn't feeling great and walked around Loch Beanie, almost to your start point! (up between Craigenloch and Creagan Caise Hills), to ascend Monamenach. Was really toiling in deep snow on the way back and took me about 8 or 9 hours all in by the time I reached the outdoor centre. Somehow mustered enough energy for the drive home but, broke out in a fever on return and ended up in hospital that night with a virus that was attacking my joints and ultimately messed-up both achilles'.

Can smile about it now but, if I do manage to get out this winter, I'll be taking more direct routes :lol:
BoyVertiginous
Wanderer

Munros:251   Corbetts:75
Fionas:26   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:49   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:62   Islands:18

Postby SecretSquirrel » Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:27 am

Good report, I haven't seen many reports of those hills. I like the idea of combining shorter walks into 1 or 2 days.
SecretSquirrel
Mountain Walker

Munros:124   Corbetts:26
Fionas:24   Donalds:76
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:1

Postby Silverhill » Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:44 pm

Tick, tick, tick, great stuff! That must be a different experience for you, considering your munro bagging reputation :wink: : a trip that lasts only 1 hour and 6 minutes! Makes sense to do lots of those in one day :D . Shame the weather didn’t co-operate on Sunday for more bagging.
Silverhill

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:7   Donalds:42
Sub 2000:28   

Postby Fife Flyer » Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:00 pm

Nice one RH, no slacking for you :lol: :lol:

Quite a bit of planning involved, you must have had the maps out :clap:
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:130   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Postby Gordie12 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:39 pm

Good effort rockhopper - done all of these except for Carn na Drochaide. Morrone may not be the most attractive top with all the masts but on a good day the views north are just brilliant.

Hope you enjoyed the golf, watched every shot over the 3 days (the only sport that can keep me away from the hills).
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Postby simon-b » Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:23 pm

That's what I call life after compleating. Definitely something to look forward to; it's great to have a reason to revisit the Braemar area.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby dooterbang » Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:41 pm

I think someone has compleating a round of Corbetts as a new goal :wink:

Looked a good weekend. Hope your cold/manflu has cleared up.
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Postby Mountainlove » Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:29 am

:clap: thats what I call ticking hills off! Well done for the round of hills...impressive! Can't say I was ever done by 10am on a Sunday 8)
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Munros:88   Corbetts:54
Fionas:7   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:10

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland