walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Autumn in big tree country

Autumn in big tree country

Postby Jaywizz » Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:44 am

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Birnam Hill - King's Seat

Date walked: 30/09/2014

Time taken: 3 hours

Distance: 6 km

Ascent: 420m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Not one of those stunning clear blue days of the last week, but sunny spells, cloudy to the west and WARM! From Birnam Quarry carpark, I followed the clearly signed track up through the woods. Occasional tantalising views through gaps in the trees, and so much to revel in - the gold birch leaves on the track, bright yellow fungi, scarlet rowan berries. Beautiful autumn. Above the trees, geese were calling on their way south, and the call of a raven somewhere overhead reminded me of days walking with George and I would hear ravens - he never did, and the calls always stopped when we halted. Yes - it was his boots.
My reminiscing was halted by the sharp black and white of a great spotted woodpecker flying across the track in front of me. The rattle of a wren came from low in the undergrowth while coal tits squeaked high up in the larches. The thin winter song of a robin accompanied me up the final slopes.
Yes the wooden steps may seem overkill - I used to be very 'anti' man-made paths, but, over 30 years of hillwalking, having seen so many badly eroded paths - gullies, wide destruction around peat areas, 'multi-laned' footpaths on difficult ground, I would now rather see a few steps or a well-placed piece of boardwalk. Also in my early days of walking I would be affronted to see anyone on the same hill as me that day - now I'm pleased that others get as much pleasure walking the hills.
WH King's Seat cairn, Birnam Hill.jpg
North indicator - for BIG hills - for another day!

The obligatory photo on the summit, a chat with two young girls (one clearly delighted and relieved to be at the cairn) and then down through some of Perthshire's stunning woodlands. Through massive granny pines with mossy bog between - I expected to see wolves or a moose watching me. Where the path crossed the soft peat, mountain bikes had slashed deep trenches - and this in the driest September for years. Dropping down to the oakwoods, two jays were shrieking about something, but I couldn't work out what.
Finally walking back on the trail parallel to the A9, the woodlands are a reminder of the great estates. Yes there are sycamore and some scrub - but in between there are some magnificent conifers, at least one giant redwood and glorious beech trees, one of the latter pelting me with ripe beech nuts as I walked beneath.
A most enjoyable circular walk. Perhaps the knee(s) would have appreciated an anti-clockwise walk (steeper ascent and gentler descent) - but it was just glorious to be on a hill.
Jaywizz
Wanderer

Munros:237   Corbetts:34
Fionas:71   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:167   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:4   Islands:26

Re: Autumn in big tree country

Postby Silverhill » Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:49 pm

A very descriptive report, I felt I was there with you. :D
Well done to you and your new knee! Good to see that the trips are getting longer! Before you know it you’ll be back on a munro. Looking at your distance/time/height stats, Carn Aosda and the Cairnwell are doable and you could always take the chairlift down. And it wouldn’t be cheating as you’ve already done these munros! :wink:
Silverhill

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:7   Donalds:42
Sub 2000:28   

Re: Autumn in big tree country

Postby Jaywizz » Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:31 am

Thank you, Silverhill. It was GREAT to be on a hill. I'm still wary of doing rough ground (possible but probably very slow) so am delighting in planning walks to places I have not previously visited - but I like your suggestion! Next clear blue day ..........................
Jaywizz
Wanderer

Munros:237   Corbetts:34
Fionas:71   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:167   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:4   Islands:26

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland