walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Morven: My first Corbett

Morven: My first Corbett

Postby Alastair S » Thu May 06, 2010 9:18 pm

Route description: Morven, from near Logie Coldstone

Corbetts included on this walk: Morven

Date walked: 16/11/2008

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 10 km

Ascent: 658m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Morven.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

I’ve decided to log all my walks on this most excellent of sites so here we start with my first gentle introduction to the joys of Scottish hillwalking (please suppress those sniggers there at the back).

So: I’d moved to Scotland and a new job over the summer and some folk from work were organising a Sunday walk to some local hill called Morven (just north of Ballater). In the end there were about eight of us + 3 dogs. The day dawned bright & sunny (if a bit nippy) and we were on our way by about 10am.

The going was on a good path all the way. There was a faint dusting of snow above 700m. Fairly steep towards the end with a noticeable false summit with half a k to go. Saw my first ptarmigan on the large summit cairn and I was pleased to snap them with my new super-zoom camera. Views were pretty good if a bit hazy. A few peeps opted to take the direct heathery route back but they were only 5-10 minutes ahead of us path takers by the time we got back.

I’d known about Munros but it wasn’t till this day that I learnt about Corbetts. All in all a fairly gentle introduction/taster to hill walking – enough to leave me wanting more. And consequent research lead me to this site.

P1000817_edited-1.JPG
The lower slopes (looking East) with Pressendye in the distance

P1000820_edited-1.JPG
Near the first false summit

P1000821_edited-1.JPG
Near the second false summit

P1000824_crop-1.jpg
My first ptarmigan

P1000833_edited-1.JPG
Back down the way we came
Alastair S
Hill Bagger

Munros:78   Corbetts:13
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:13   
Islands:22

Re: Morven: My first Corbett

Postby kinley » Thu May 06, 2010 9:29 pm

so there is a path!

Was up there in March - poor views and a lot of unconsolidated snow :?
kinley

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland